• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Develops Live-Action Film of Tite Kubo's Bleach Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:39 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Why does everyone think WB will ruin this? Did we forget about The Dark Knight, 300, and Watchmen? What, because of Dragonball Evolution, it's mandatory to assume an adaptation is going to suck? Did you know that in the 90s, nobody thought Superhero movies will catch on?

Why was Watchmen included in that list?
little red star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:56 am Reply with quote
oh gawd. Evil or Very Mad not again.

okay warner bros. if the visual effects is as good as the harry potter movies, and the actors are asian, and the location is in japan, and you'll follow the original plot. it might just work.

but i doubt if you can resist putting americans on main roles. don't have any against americans and such... but really... the main characters... at least on ichigo's side, most of them are asians.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:21 am Reply with quote
I guess everyone is forgetting a point here. The studio does not do it for the fans, it does it for the potential revenue.

Let's face it:

fans of the anime < target audience.

We are not part of the equation at this point.

I am not going to think about this movie for now. I'll get back to it once more information on the story is released. Getting worked up now will not make a difference. And if the story turns out to be completely different from the manga, then I'll just treat it as a independent story with no connection to anything.

And what is the worse that can happen? Either the movie dies like Akira, or it is a flop like DragonBallZ. Maybe it will even make people curious about all this manga/anime talk and make people interested in it, who knows?

Anyways, my point (yes I had a point), we lived through DBZ, nobody was hurt. If this is a flop, we can live through it again.

Who knows, this might even turn out well for all you know. We'll just have to believe in the scriptwriter and the rest of the team for now.
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:41 am Reply with quote
Shocked Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad
I don't know which emoticon is most appropriate to express how I feel about this.

I would really hope they could make something good out of this, but as of now, my gut says nothing but disaster. We'll see though.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I guess everyone is forgetting a point here. The studio does not do it for the fans, it does it for the potential revenue.

They do it because the existing fans represent the potential revenue and lowers the risk of it being a financial failure when compared to stories that are unknown to fans. They want the brand recognition Bleach brings.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Barry was just your average kid, being picked on by bullies, having his lunch money stolen, and being ignored by his long time crush Ophelia. However, this changes one day when he meets the mysterious Rebecca. After seeing her attacked by some weird creatures, he tries to help her but ends up gaining super ghost powers. Now, he has to balance his high school and superhero life and fighting crime. However, a dark presence exists on the horizon, a mysterious man named Aster seems to have plans for world domination. Can Barry stop him and win the heart of the lovely Ophelia?

Sounds like Bleach if 4kids got it lol
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:54 am Reply with quote
Who cares, it's Bleach, isn't that right? Wink

But the way things are going right now with the other anime properties, it'd be a surprise if this actually gets into the filming stage.
MrMancha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:32 am Reply with quote
Soul Eater would be way easier, wont have to change a thing.similar premise to work with
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:20 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Why does everyone think WB will ruin this? Did we forget about The Dark Knight, 300, and Watchmen? What, because of Dragonball Evolution, it's mandatory to assume an adaptation is going to suck? Did you know that in the 90s, nobody thought Superhero movies will catch on?

Superhero comics are a lot easier to make adaptions of than manga are.

Not to mention they're already American so there's never really a whitewashing issue to deal with.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:52 am Reply with quote
MrMancha wrote:
Soul Eater would be way easier, wont have to change a thing.similar premise to work with

Um.....Shingami-san? Death the Kid? Tsubaki? Spirit Albarn/aka Death Scythe? Death Weapon Meister Academy?

Yeah, nothing to change.....
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

Superhero comics are a lot easier to make adaptions of than manga are.

Not to mention they're already American so there's never really a whitewashing issue to deal with.

But Bleach characters are already drawn whitewashed! It's the rare occasion where casting Asians in an anime/manga based film would radically alter it's visual identity. Outside of that, there's nothing Japanese about it except for some names.

Karakura Town is a generic looking city. The only time people goto areas of it that actually look Japanese are shrines, and that only happens in filler arcs. It's only real purpose and identifying trait is that it has a bunch of buildings that people constantly get thrown through during fights.

The only Japanese distinctly Japanese things about the series are Shinigami clothing and Soul Society, both of which could be kept as is since they are supposed to be "mystic" and radically different than the normal/real world.

My bigger worry about the adaptation is staying to true to the story and ending up with some jumbled mess where they either only adapt the worst chapters/episodes that aren't tonally similar to the vast majority of the series (the scoobies uniting) or they try to crunch some insane number of episodes/chapters into 120 minutes of movie. I think the only way a Bleach movie ends up as actually being a good and entertaining movie is if they keep the character personalities and characters but alter the story to something that works in a 2 hour run time.

If they are going to say true to the manga story, I hope they start the movie off with a scene featuring Chad, Ishida, Ichigo, Rukia, and Inoue that shows that these people have super powers and that they are all friends. If you establish the world immediately (a fight could do this) then you can jump straight to Rukia getting sent back to Soul Society within like 15 minutes rather than spending forever doing character introductions and background stories and Ichigo helping to solve everyone's personal life problems.
teferi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:13 am Reply with quote
Aynslesa wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Jaymie wrote:
They need exclusively Japanese actors. You can't even dispute that one. Bleach is Japanese through and through, unlike say Death Note or Fullmetal Alchemist.

Have you even seen Bleach? It's a bunch of white people with japanese names living in Japan. Maybe 5 characters in a show with hundreds look even remotely asian.

Wow, you must not have been watching anime for all that long... it is and always has been the style of Japanese anime to have Japanese characters with light skin-coloring, but there are still distinct differences between characters of Japanese heritage and characters of, say, European heritage in anime. It's the style of the animation.

Anime hyper

What like hair color and bust size? Anime hyper

Japan makes characters foreigners in anime by giving them blonde hair and an accent. The only remotely Japanese thing about Bleach is the fact everyone wears kimonos and lives in a period style Japanese town after they die. And really, that's the most inconsistent part about bleach. If people in Japan go to such a place when they die everyone else must be doing it wrong.

Quote:
Um.....Shingami-san? Death the Kid? Tsubaki? Spirit Albarn/aka Death Scythe? Death Weapon Meister Academy?

Yeah, nothing to change.....

Nothing that matters.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:41 am Reply with quote
This could actually be a fun movie with the potential to become a series of movies. Yes, it's going to be Americanized, but that's kinda why they do these movies--to adapt them for a large American or Western audience that generally is unaware of the propety's real origins. Outside of the nichey anime community, the vast majority of people have never even heard of Bleach before.

But I think a U.S. version of Bleach could work--probably not for purists who will accept no changes whatsoever--but for everyone else, I think quite a bit of the original material could be left intact with the biggest changes being to character names. The Soul Society, the Soul Reapers with their outfits and Zapakutos, could all be left untouched.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote
h boy now this yet anime on soon to be finish now we talks of live action?

yet wonder how most anime turned live action from hollywood is always oh no really keep based on anime material?

or go safer start do it on tv then movie.

maybe yet take a page see how easily power rangers is made based from super sentai?
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
@ Mawdryn

Hasn't the whitewashed adaptation of Akira not being strongly received well by the fans that it has forced WB to cancel the project all together? Every single news that relates to that disaster has always received negative reception and they made the right choice to just scrap it all together. Even if they did whitewash Bleach, I still don't think it would be received well by the fans.

I'm still surprised that Hollywood hasn't adapted any anime titles that DON'T have Asian main leads in them already like Hellsing, Chrono Crusade, and most of all the most popular one of them all is Fullmetal Alchemist. If they adapted them instead, we wouldn't even have to worry of the whitewashing at all and just worry if they would do the original titles justice.

As for someone who said that Soul Eater would make a more easier adaptation, I would actually agree if they get Tim Burton to do it because this series would so fit his style and be right up his alley. Also, the series IS already set in America (Death City is in the state of Nevada) and so, they can still keep all of the original cast with some minor changes that they could do like call Shinigami-sama into Lord Death like in the English dub and it would work. As for what the casting would go, Tsubaki and Black Star can stay Asian for sure since they did transfer from Japan and moved to the DWMA and Maka would be played by someone who's half-Asian since in the source material, it's been said that only her unseen mother is Japanese. As for the adults, knowing Burton, he would definitely cast Johnny Depp as Stein and Helena Bonham Carter as Medusa, I'm sure of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10