• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daichi383

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
sounds like shingo yamashita did some work on the movie then since most stuff he works on generally gets bagged on in terms of artistry (Naruto shippuden 167 for example). nice review anyway and i can wait to see the movie judging from the praise the action sequences and above (spinoff movie) average story.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Why is it labeled "intense" on the content warning? I watched it, and it wasn't that bad
loka

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I expected another great movie like the first. I left the movie thinking it was just like every other 'extended filler episode' movie for generic shounen. I think those crappy DBZ filler movies rate higher.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably get it to complete my collection, but I guess I shouldn't set my expectations high for its quality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Compare and contrast to his appearance in Conqueror of Shambala.

While it requires knowledge of the first TV series, Shambala was a much, much better standalone FMA movie. Ultimately, the film was about the brothers and their relationship, which is what FMA is all about in the end. Milos is about Julia and her relationship with her brother. And in the end, who really cares about that?

I wouldn't exactly put Mustang in Conquerors of Shambala as an example of how to use a character properly. In the movie he goes off to Briggs to complain about how many people his killed, but instead of actually resolving that situation he just shows up out of the blue making the scene in the Briggs mountain completely pointless.

I agree with you. My point was that he at least had that in that movie. His comeback was pretty badass, even though he wasn't essential at all to the plot.

He wasn't even afforded that in this movie.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I love the character of Mustang but at the same time I don't need to see him in this movie. The movie is about the Elric brothers resolving a situation between Amestris, Creta, and the people of Table City/Milos. You really don't need to see Mustang all of a sudden show up just to go kick some ass. Amestris has a massive army they can send someone else. You watch a lot of these serial movies and they constantly feel the need to force characters into scenes (a big offender are DBZ movies using Future Trunks) and there's no reason to other than the character is popular.
shukero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I love FMA, but I hate that they do this; and by this I mean creating side stories.

To me personally these side stories are already ruined before I get to watch them because the things you know in the last episode of the anime; which is spoiler[ that edward couldn't use alchemy anymore,] which makes all of these side stories just basically a moot point for me.

Now if they put out a side story about himspoiler[ trying to retreive his powers,] that would be one thing, but to imagine like it never happened to me just seems like one of two things: Either A) they are just trying to cash cow the series. Or B) They would like was to pretend we never saw the ending; Which in the case of this particular series who would watch the side stories if you never finished the anime?

Does anyone agree with this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
The problem of Mustang in CoS was they were obviously just setting up a badass comeback, making him depressed over the deaths he caused when he was perfectly fine at the end of the series. His reappearance was great, but felt like an obvious set-up. There's no real arc to his attitude. He's just suddenly fine again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The problem of Mustang in CoS was they were obviously just setting up a badass comeback, making him depressed over the deaths he caused when he was perfectly fine at the end of the series. His reappearance was great, but felt like an obvious set-up. There's no real arc to his attitude. He's just suddenly fine again.

Basically that's it, they really wanted to have a scene where Mustang appears, takes charge, and then rallies the troops except that with his position at the end of the tv series that scene would make no sense. This resulted in them removing Mustang from Central, and showed the troops stationed in Central as having no real leaders.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:
sounds like shingo yamashita did some work on the movie then since most stuff he works on generally gets bagged on in terms of artistry (Naruto shippuden 167 for example).

I believe that he also made the action sequences that I so loved in Birdy the Mighty: Decode 02. If what he was criticizing about the artistry is anything like that, then it makes me more curious about this film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Being in the UK, I haven't seen this movie yet. However, I have found the trailers somewhat iffy. I'll buy it and I'll watch it, but I'll hold reservations on it.
daichi383

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
daichi383 wrote:
sounds like shingo yamashita did some work on the movie then since most stuff he works on generally gets bagged on in terms of artistry (Naruto shippuden 167 for example).

I believe that he also made the action sequences that I so loved in Birdy the Mighty: Decode 02. If what he was criticizing about the artistry is anything like that, then it makes me more curious about this film.

Same here, his work is always fluid but artistry sometimes suffers if his work isnt properly corrected.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Why is it labeled "intense" on the content warning? I watched it, and it wasn't that bad
Depends on your level of squeamishness, but I found the idea of spoiler[people getting their skin ripped off] pretty gruesome even when it wasn't shown outright. There was also quite a bit of blood throughout.

Anyway, I pretty much agree with the reviewer. I found the movie entertaining, but not especially memorable. The weird inconsistent artwork was unfortunate too. I don't see myself buying it in the future, but I don't regret having watched it once.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

I guess for some sequences I suppose like

spoiler[the massive amounts of blood ]

I personally saw the movie three of the 5 times it was airing in my town mainly cus I love the franchise and I wanted to support it anyway I could. It was kind of funny though how the head guy from my town's anime con was there and someone asked him who was there during all three days of showings...and he was purposely looking for me around the theater Anime hyper

Anyhow I for one loved everything about the movie. Idk I just loved the characters, the story, and the music Very Happy
The American Average

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
I expected another great movie like the first. I left the movie thinking it was just like every other 'extended filler episode' movie for generic shounen. I think those crappy DBZ filler movies rate higher.

Well this is sad to hear, Fullmetal movie is worse than the DBZ movies did think that was possible. I think the Fullmetal are just expected to be the great and when its just average or slightly above average movie it will judged harsher because of the franchise it is
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3