• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Jellyfish Princes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
I was wondering how long it would be before Downton Abbey would come up on this show.
Ted_the_bear2001

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
Hey Justin, If you want a 45 of Musashi no Ken, there are some right here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:47 am Reply with quote
I found Zac's view of princess Jellyfish interesting I always wondered how men viewed that show. I personally love it!! Of course I am the target audience, so I suppose it is only natural. I remember when it streamed I was sad because I didn't think it had any hope of it getting a physical released, but then it was and I will love Funimation forever for it.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
not exact transcription of audio, just from memory here

Zac wrote:
I couldn't stay with it because I was having trouble relating to this character and how she could just *not* move past her insecurities the least little bit after so many episodes.

Wait, you love Evangelion and (if I recall) like Welcome to the NHK, and this was a serious issue? Granted: I've not yet seen Princess Jellyfish, but you cannot possibly get any worse in stubborn non-progressive paranoia/insecurity than Shinji or Sato, so I was kinda surprised by this. What was the difference with Jellyfish's heroine?

Also, Funimation has been stellar with trailers recently, it's true, but taglines have always been kinda...sophomoric from them? Anime hyper I'd rather have a good trailer than a good tagline anyway, but I rarely saw a Funimation tagline that didn't make me go "Aw...no." Bought the Viridian box of Rumbling Hearts several months back and the tagline they thought worked best for that was, apparently, "Betrayal is a Bitch." Which, if you've seen the show...no. Laughing
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:03 am Reply with quote
great podcast as always and I am quite intrigued by princess jellyfish now. Being socially awkward myself despite being male I think I could relate a bit to the MC because of my phobia's etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:28 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Granted: I've not yet seen Princess Jellyfish

Watch the show. It's on Hulu. Then we can talk!
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:33 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
Granted: I've not yet seen Princess Jellyfish

Watch the show. It's on Hulu. Then we can talk!

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. OWO

//three videos to complete by Saturday//

...LATER! OWO b
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
Listening to eurobeat while riding on a rollercoster. Must try.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:25 am Reply with quote
Haven't nabbed the podcast yet, but I'm looking forward to this one particularly for the Princess Jellyfish discussion.

I was curious what Zac would think of it, and when he popped up on Twitter with a negative-sounding opinion about how the show would be over if the characters would just go see therapists or something, my knee-jerk reaction was basically, "Are you seriously laying that out as a legit critique when Evangelion is your third favorite anime of all time?" Not that two shows can't both attempt to tackle the same theme and one scores brilliantly while the other botches it, but I think Princess Jellyfish deserves more credit here.

I'm male and I thought the show was great back when I watched it as I was airing. I bought the Funimation blu-ray because I wanted to support a show I enjoyed a lot (despite a strong feeling that it really ought to have a second set of 13 episodes to complete a fuller plot arc) but I was curious what I'd think a year after my initial watch. I ended up liking it as much as I did the first time, actually, but I'd never really stopped to ask the question "who is this show for?" In spite of its niche-ridden otaku characters, it feels more broadly accessible than a lot of the anime we see these days, because even if a viewer doesn't know much about trains or Romance of Three Kingdoms, the personalities behind those characters are universal enough that I think they can resonate with people. I never had to stretch my suspension of disbelief that these characters had trouble moving past their hang-ups because they've created an environment for themselves in which they can exist in that state without having to change, and the story is kind of about Kuranosuke coming into that environment and upsetting their socially iconoclastic equilibrium. I wouldn't say any of the sisterhood really turns over a new leaf, but I think they come to better understand the value of artifice, particularly as it obtains to things like clothing. Kuranosuke likens dressing up to putting on armor, and it's that "armoring up" that gives these otaku girls their first sense of actual leverage in the world at large (which is something I'd like to see play out in a second season). It's akin to "I wouldn't want to live at the bottom of the ocean and I hate wearing this bulky diving suit, but hey, this diving suit lets me function at the bottom of the ocean without getting crushed by the water pressure. That's kind of nifty!" The sisterhood may never embrace society at large, but the first step in getting them to at least be able to function in society without fear is to get them out there without freezing up.

I feel like there's also some commentary to be made about these being children from Japan's "lost generation" and their problems acclimating to society because they're (I'm presuming) not college-educated and can't find jobs, but I can't really articulate this thought in a fully-formed way at the moment.

Anyway, glad there seems to be a lot to say about Princess Jellyfish, and sorry if I was a bit brusque about it on Twitter.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:51 am Reply with quote
I loved Princess Jellyfish and it was a rare treat to hear you guys discuss it. I loved the main character and I loved the eccentricities of the side characters (finally, realistic otaku girls, not just wish-fulfillment-I-like-the-same-things-YOU-like! otaku girls). This was a great show and I hope that more folks will check it out based on this podcast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:03 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
I loved Princess Jellyfish and it was a rare treat to hear you guys discuss it. I loved the main character and I loved the eccentricities of the side characters (finally, realistic otaku girls, not just wish-fulfillment-I-like-the-same-things-YOU-like! otaku girls). This was a great show and I hope that more folks will check it out based on this podcast.

I've met more Kirinos than Tsukimis in my life when it comes to anime fangirls to be honest. Well, minus the super model thing.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
poonk wrote:
I've met more Kirinos than Tsukimis in my life when it comes to anime fangirls to be honest. Well, minus the super model thing.
Well, er, my experience is quite the opposite. Take that as you will.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kiddtic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:03 am Reply with quote
I really really enjoyed Princess Jellyfish and I am extremely glad FUNimation have given it such a great release and an awesome dub (from the snippets I've heard so far)

I was kind of shocked when Zac said he only realised at the end that the primary target for the show was females, I mean its Josei isnt it obvious?

Im male and I dont think I had the same disconnect Zac had but then again Im the guy that actively seeks out these kinds of shows. Its certainly unique and really well done and I cant wait to get my hands on my very own copy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:45 am Reply with quote
LOVED the Princess Jellyfish discussion. I hadn't realized it was so laser-focused on a female audience - but when you explained it like that, it really made sense. I'm definitely one of those women that wound up completely floored by this show, I can't remember the last time I've found an anime to be so genuinely touching. I'm so glad I checked it out and I'm so grateful Funimation licensed it!

And seconding that bit about the trailer, it was really well put-together. I sent my mom the YouTube link (she's a university therapist) and it made her want to watch the show. She's not even an anime fan... Really glad they included it on the DVD special features. Anime catgrin
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:53 am Reply with quote
Before I listened to this I knew absolutely nothing about Princess Jellyfish, but it sounds like might be my kind of thing. The idea of an anime focused solely on a female audience is interesting in this day and age of "appeal to as wide a demographic as you can, or alternatively just teenage boys".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6