• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Akitaro Daichi

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:34 am Reply with quote
Two questions:
1. Is he wearing lipstick?
2. How do you pronounce grrl? Rolling Eyes

And does anyone else think its kinda scary that Daichi doesn't know about the changes done to his works in English?
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:05 am Reply with quote
I don't really think it's "scary" at all. As he said, he doesn't know much English, so how can he really understand what changes have been made anyway? Not every joke is translatable for every language, and I think as long as the essential spirit of the joke is still there (if a change WAS necessary) most creators would be happy with that.

Great interview, by the way. Daichi is probably my favorite anime director. I didn't even know he did Nurse Angel Ririka.. no wonder I loved it.. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:04 pm Reply with quote
astra wrote:
Two questions:
1. Is he wearing lipstick?
2. How do you pronounce grrl? Rolling Eyes

And does anyone else think its kinda scary that Daichi doesn't know about the changes done to his works in English?
A lot of creators, whether for manga or anime, aren't too aware of the situation outside of Japan. Although edits in manga are sometimes (well, hopefully always) done with consent from the author, I don't know if they are all aware of the mass amount of scanlations online, etc.

No, I doubt he is wearing lipstick, and Grrl is probably pronounced girl...?

Well anyway, keep those interviews coming.
ucdawg12

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:28 pm Reply with quote
No question on whether or not Funimation's effort to get a sequel to FB has reached him or if he has heard anything about it Sad
marmalade brat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quote
ucdawg12 wrote:
No question on whether or not Funimation's effort to get a sequel to FB has reached him or if he has heard anything about it Sad

The interview was conducted at AnimeNEXT. I think that Daichi-san was asked at one of his panels there if he knew about the efforts by fans and FUNimation to get more Fruits Basket anime made. He said that at the moment there are no plans to make more, but he does know about the efforts and appreciates them.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
I don't really think it's "scary" at all. As he said, he doesn't know much English, so how can he really understand what changes have been made anyway? Not every joke is translatable for every language, and I think as long as the essential spirit of the joke is still there (if a change WAS necessary) most creators would be happy with that.

That might be acceptable for the English dubs, but it is unacceptable for the subtitles. I hear the excuse, "if the joke has to be explained, it isn't funny" which is true. However, for the subtitled version, do what fansubbers do and be done with it. I was so annoyed with ADV when they modified Japanese jokes in Those Who Hunt Elves 2 (again, only refering to the subtitles).

Too bad there was nothing new about a sequel to Furuba but oh well.

Good interview. Very Happy
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:59 pm Reply with quote
He likes the idea of more eps, and is a great guy to talk to. Read my Sak-con interview of him for his comments on leveling up..
Stitch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:36 pm Reply with quote
A link to it would be nice Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1