• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Develops Live-Action Film of Tite Kubo's Bleach Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Isn't shinigami basically the Japanese version of the Grim Reaper. (Excuse my ignorance and correct me if I'm wrong.) A Hollywood could probably be based on the Western concept of the Grim Reaper.

The general idea behind shinigami in Japan is very similar to the concept of the Grim Reaper but the shinigami as seen in Bleach is pretty far from both. Making the movie about Western Grim Reapers would mean completely changing the Western concept of the Grim Reaper.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:53 am Reply with quote
Alright, maybe they can just use the grim reaper name along with the black hoods and scythes (instead of katanas). It can also be a East-Western fusion thing where they they can still be called Grim reapers but use katanas, using the shinigami concept used in Bleach. Admittingly, I'm not that familiar with bleach as I've only read a few pages of the manga so maybe this wouldn't really work.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Mawdryn wrote:
For non-anime fans, it would simply be something they never saw before. They would like it or not like it on it's own merits because they would have nothing else to compare it to like anime fans would.

Then why are the press releases noting how widespread the international fanbase is fpr Bleach?

For publicity purposes only, to inform people who are reading the article and are unfamiliar with Bleach that this property has been around for awhile and has a following.

Otherwise, it won't really mean a hill of beans to non-anime fans who go to see it based only on the trailer or word of mouth.

Lycosyncer wrote:

Since you mentioned the Americanized adaptations rather than the originals,

Huh? You were the one that mentioned Americanized adaptations.
Quote:

it's only fair that I should mention popular anime titles that already feature non-Asian main leads in the originals too and out of the four anime titles I've mentioned, I think Fullmetal Alchemist has the closest chance to getting a live action adaptation since it's more well known than the others.

Question
I think you got me confused with someone else.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
@ Mawdryn

Okay, that's fine and it's just that you reminded me of Robotech and Star Blazers that I got that moment of me saying about the difference between using the Americanized versions or the original versions of certain anime.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
This is unexpected...

But I imagine it's probably easier to adapt something like this into a movie than Dragon Ball... The problem with DB:Evolution was that it tried to do too many things. Apart from trying to introduce many characters and explaining the lore, they also jumped right to the villain that ended the series. If the anime took 153 episodes to do that, what made them think they could do it in an hour and a half?

If they ever hope to succeed in a Bleach movie, they need to pace themselves and not try to take on too much than they can handle. Rather than adapting Bleach in its entirety, they should focus on adapting the first story arch. Actually, even though it's probably bad business to do this, they should start the project with the idea of creating two movies to tell the story of the first arch... with the first movie ending with Rukia being taken back to the Soul Society as a prisoner.

Also, I prefer Vis' "Soul Reaper" over "Shinigami." The only reason I like Soul Reaper better though is because they don't seem like Shinigami to me. When I think of Shinigami, I think of something in the way of how they are portrayed in Death Note. Then when I look at Bleach, I can't help but thinking it's comical at best. That's why I think "Soul Reaper" is the better name to use; It sounds cool, it better represents their purpose, and it separates them from the completely different idea that is a shinigami. This also goes for using the term "grimm reaper" as well, I'm just as much against that as I am against shinigami.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For publicity purposes only, to inform people who are reading the article and are unfamiliar with Bleach that this property has been around for awhile and has a following.

Otherwise, it won't really mean a hill of beans to non-anime fans who go to see it based only on the trailer or word of mouth.

It looks like the press release also inform people who are reading the article and are familiar with Bleach that the property is getting a live action movie adaptation.

Word of mouth comes from people who have either seen the movie or are familiar with the property. The film, like most Hollywood adaptation of anime, will have negative word of mouth if the studio discounts the existing fanbase.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

It looks like the press release also inform people who are reading the article and are familiar with Bleach that the property is getting a live action movie adaptation.

That's what press releases are for. They're meant to inform the people who are reading them.
Quote:

Word of mouth comes from people who have either seen the movie or are familiar with the property. The film, like most Hollywood adaptation of anime, will have negative word of mouth if the studio discounts the existing fanbase.

If Hollywood listened to only the existing fanbase, then no movies would ever get made period.
Sweetre15

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
http://manga.about.com/od/mangaeditorsinterviews/a/Interview-Jason-Hoffs-VIZ-Productions-Bleach-Movie_2.htm

I really hope they are serious when they say they are discussing key creative aspects of the film with Kubo and co...

I can actually see how a good Bleach film can be made and I hope they do to....Which is as simple as this Adapt the first fifteen episodes or so they covers Ichigo's origin, him meeting Rukia, introducing us to Orihime, Chad, and Uryu, and the whole Hollow breakout/Menos Grande invasion....Also end the film with Renji and Byakuya taking Rukia back to Soul Society...Then adapt the Save Rukia arc in the sequel lol.[url][/url]
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If Hollywood listened to only the existing fanbase, then no movies would ever get made period.

You're taking an extreme position and shooting it down, good job. I however have not said that Hollywood needs to only listen to the existing fanbase.

I fully expect changes to be made. Condensing the story, aging up the cast, relocating the setting, and changing names are basic things I am prepared to accept as changes that might get made. I do think that movies like Oldboy(2003), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo(2011), and Death Note, that try to include as much as possible from the source material are better received than movies that try to change every facet of the story and characters.

Last edited by ArsenicSteel on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sweetre15

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

You're taking an extreme position and shooting it down, good job. I however have not said that Hollywood needs to only listen to the existing fanbase.

I fully expect changes to be made. Condensing the story, aging up the cast, relocating the setting, and changing names are basic things I am prepared to accept as changes that might made. I do think that movies like Oldboy(2003), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo(2011), and Death Note, that try to included as much as possible from the source material are better received than movies that try to change every facet of the story and characters.

- If the basic changes you mentioned happens then they better change the name of the movie from Bleach.

- I'm willing to accept changes provided that they aren't radical or arbitrary and like you said, change every facet of the story and characters

- I'm all for a good anime film happening one day and I hope this is the one
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

You're taking an extreme position and shooting it down, good job.

Nothing extreme about it. It's simply the truth about the nature of fans. You can't honestly say that most fans think this proposed Bleach film is a good idea, can you? The initial reactions range from "No!" or "Why are they doing this?" to "I'll bet they'll screw it up big time." The voices of those fans who will give the film the benefit of the doubt (or are at least cautiously optimistic about it) tend to be in the minority.
Quote:

I however have not said that Hollywood needs to only listen to the existing fanbase.

Nice cleaning up what you said earlier, good job. The real issue is what the existing fanbase wants compatible with something general audiences in America want? Will the existing fanbase tolerate it the characters and all their Japanese-inspired trappings are given a mostly American makeover that makes the English anime dub look undeniably authentic in comparison to the original?
Sweetre15

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Q: Is Bleach the first VIZ Productions project to get to this stage in Hollywood, or was Dragon Ball: Evolution also a VIZ Productions project?

Jason Hoffs
: VIZ Productions was not involved with the Dragon Ball movie at all. The Dragon Ball film project had been in development at 20th Century Fox for several years, and had entered production before VIZ Productions was formed.

Q: There's always some anxiety from fans when Japanese manga is adapted by Hollywood, that it will be... well, changed a lot from the original stories/characters/premise. Would you like to address this issue/concern from fans?

Jason Hoffs: Every creator, and every fan, has a picture of the property or a relationship with the property that is formed with the original medium. Creators and fans of manga are not alone in that regard. Any adaptation requires a change of format and of style.

In the case of manga, so much has to be condensed to squeeze the story into a feature film format. So even in the best of circumstances, it's a big challenge. Fans have been disappointed with recent manga and anime-based features. We have to learn from these examples, and keep working to do better.

We build a relationship between the creator, his/her team in Japan and the Hollywood creative team to create a basic common vision from the beginning of the process. There is an essence or quality in the original material that makes it attractive as a feature film, and the team tries to preserve and translate this essence into the film version.

Our greatest goal, and certainly the goal of the creator, is that the film should delight the fans. At the same time, the intention of the film version is to introduce a larger global audience to the property. It will always be a challenge to balance fidelity to the original work, while supporting the creativity and originality of the filmmakers in bringing their vision to the film.

BLEACH: ON THE LONG ROAD FROM MANGA TO MOVIE

Q: How long ago did this process start (from initial pitch/idea to a signed development deal with Warner Brothers)? By any chance did this process start when Kubo-sensei came to San Diego Comic-Con in 2008?

Jason Hoffs: Yes, we first began our discussions in 2008. We all went back and forth on the key creative elements, and when we were satisfied, began to assemble to team here. Because Bleach is such a large and popular property, it took some time to make the deal with Warner Bros. Now we are all so excited to begin the creative work on the screenplay!

Speaking of Comic-Con 2008, the outpouring of enthusiasm for Kubo-sensei's visit was amazing. So many fans waited for hours in line to meet him and so many of the costumes, zanpakuto and accessories were beautifully and lovingly made. When we think about the level of passion and commitment, both on the creator's and the fan's side, it reminds us how important it is to make the best Bleach film we can.

Q: Was Bleach a project that VIZ Productions pitched to movie studios, or was it a situation where the producers approached VIZ Productions to get the rights? There was mention in the press release that a few folks involved with this project are big fans of Bleach.

Jason Hoffs: VIZ Productions teamed up with Masi Oka early in the process. Masi is a huge fan of Bleach, and a true otaku.

Early on, we had many discussions with Shueisha and Kubo-sensei about the creative direction of the film. Masi had worked with Pete Segal and his partner Michael Ewing on Get Smart, and Masi brought Bleach to Pete. The writer, Dan Mazeau had been on everybody's radar, so when he committed we were all thrilled. Once the team was assembled, we approached Warner Brothers.

Q: Now that Warner Brothers has acquired the rights to produce Bleach, what does that entail? What I mean is, what happens now? I know there's a lot of steps involved to make a big project like this come to fruition, but any idea when fans might expect to see this Bleach feature film? I understand that it's probably not possible for you to give us a firm release date at this early stage of the game, but can you give us some idea where things stand now?

Jason Hoffs
: Our screenwriter, Dan Mazeau, will begin writing the film shortly, with the input of our director and the producing team. We hope to have a first screenplay later this year. We of course communicate with Kubo-sensei and the Shueisha team at key stages in the process.

Q: Can you share any reactions or thoughts from Kubo-sensei or Shueisha, regarding the Bleach movie project?

Jason Hoffs: Kubo-sensei and the entire Shueisha team cares deeply about Bleach and its millions of passionate fans. We take the trust they have placed in us very seriously, and we very much hope to make a film that they can all be proud of.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nothing extreme about it. It's simply the truth about the nature of fans.

You said that no movies would ever be made if Hollywood listened to the existing fanbase...looks pretty extreme.

Quote:
You can't honestly say that most fans think this proposed Bleach film is a good idea, can you? The initial reactions range from "No!" or "Why are they doing this?" to "I'll bet they'll screw it up big time." The voices of those fans who will give the film the benefit of the doubt (or are at least cautiously optimistic about it) tend to be in the minority.

Where do suppose such apprehension comes from? OH, it couldn't be that Hollywood has a track record of poor anime adaptations. Fans have been conditioned to respond that way and it will take a lot of good anime/manga movies from Hollywood to change that behavior.
Biases aside, the idea of turning a 2D cartoon into live action film generally makes people both curious and cautious on account of how somethings just don't translate well between the two formats. The sort of people who give these sorts of announcements the benefit of the doubt are in the minority for a good reason, they live in a vacuum.
Quote:

The real issue is what the existing fanbase wants compatible with something general audiences in America want?

How is that an issue? The general audience who aren't fans of the property don't want anything from the franchise. They don't want Ichigo to be named Curtis, they don't want the Soul Reapers dressed in cloaks, they don't want Karakura Town relocated to Daytona. The REAL problem is people in Hollywood banking that they know what John Q. Public wants and banking that the brand name alone will be enough to attract the existing fans.

Quote:
Will the existing fanbase tolerate it the characters and all their Japanese-inspired trappings are given a mostly American makeover that makes the English anime dub look undeniably authentic in comparison to the original?

I dunno.
I am more interested as to when Japanese stories will get the same level of respect(names, lore, locations) classic Roman and Greek stories get in their Hollywood adaptations.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Wait, I just remembered something, was it Kubo or some other mangaka who once said he doesn't want their manga to be made live-action? His argument was something along the lines of if he wanted his series to be live-action, he would have made a live-action series to begin with or something.

Could be another mangaka who said that though.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
Nothing extreme about it. It's simply the truth about the nature of fans.

You said that no movies would ever be made if Hollywood listened to the existing fanbase...looks pretty extreme.

That's how fandom usually is. Thumbs up or thumbs down.
Quote:

Quote:
You can't honestly say that most fans think this proposed Bleach film is a good idea, can you? The initial reactions range from "No!" or "Why are they doing this?" to "I'll bet they'll screw it up big time." The voices of those fans who will give the film the benefit of the doubt (or are at least cautiously optimistic about it) tend to be in the minority.

Where do suppose such apprehension comes from? OH, it couldn't be that Hollywood has a track record of poor anime adaptations. Fans have been conditioned to respond that way and it will take a lot of good anime/manga movies from Hollywood to change that behavior.
Biases aside, the idea of turning a 2D cartoon into live action film generally makes people both curious and cautious on account of how somethings just don't translate well between the two formats. The sort of people who give these sorts of announcements the benefit of the doubt are in the minority for a good reason, they live in a vacuum.

Nope, it's really just that they don't flock in large numbers to complain about stuff they haven't seen yet. They'll wait until after the movie comes out--or perhaps after seeing the first trailer--to determine whether or not they like what they see.
Quote:
Quote:

The real issue is what the existing fanbase wants compatible with something general audiences in America want?

How is that an issue?

It's an issue only to them of whether or not they can go along with something that might not be totally faithful to the original source material. For the rest, it isn't a issue as they have nothing else to compare it to.
Quote:

The general audience who aren't fans of the property don't want anything from the franchise. They don't want Ichigo to be named Curtis, they don't want the Soul Reapers dressed in cloaks, they don't want Karakura Town relocated to Daytona. The REAL problem is people in Hollywood banking that they know what John Q. Public wants and banking that the brand name alone will be enough to attract the existing fans.

Why is that a problem? It's the way Hollywood usually works by taking an overseas property and adapting it into something that appeals to the widest possible audience over here.
Quote:

Quote:
Will the existing fanbase tolerate it the characters and all their Japanese-inspired trappings are given a mostly American makeover that makes the English anime dub look undeniably authentic in comparison to the original?

I dunno.
I am more interested as to when Japanese stories will get the same level of respect(names, lore, locations) classic Roman and Greek stories get in their Hollywood adaptations.

A lot of classic Roman and Greek stories have been circulating in American society since actually before the time of the Union. As a result, there's a long familiarity there with them in America. In comparison, Japanese stories really haven't ventured that far outside of Japan until fairly recently. I believe to a large extent, Japan is still a very mysterious land to most Hollywood producers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10