• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Bodacious Space Pirates Gives Princess Serenity Odango Hair

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kazume

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Well i'm liking the show. the fact that it tries to first and foremost tell a story is always a plus in my book. like the poster mentioned before. You want the boobs, theres D&D for that. Frankly i couldnt even last the first 15 minutes of it and got bored. If the draw in to that show is supposed to be about the t&a then its taking way to long to show us the goods.

On the other hand people were expecting that from Bodacious space pirates that the show is getting bad rap because of it.

Hell im loving the story so far, nice to see someone out there give a damn about plot and character development instead of worrying about dvd abd bluray sales in the future for boobs.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
...but it is not referring to their bust, nor that they are necessarily 'hot'.

Calling a woman 'bodacious' can be a reference to their notable breast size and/or hot arse; i.e. their sexy figure. Or it might not be a reference to those things, but merely to their bold and audacious personality, as per the original meaning of the portmanteau. What meaning gets applied depends on context. But you can't blame people not familiar with the show for thinking that with its various titles - Moretsu Pirates, Miniskirt Space Pirates and Bodacious Space Pirates - "bodacious" means 'voluptuous'.

This series looked like it was going to be a fanservice-laden show, simple as that. The promo art showed the main character in a cheesy pirate coat and hat costume and sporting a tiny school-issue skirt. There are almost a dozen other girls in the promo art in school uniforms which have the same small skirts; the show was definitely appearing to live up to its name of Miniskirt Space Pirates. Of course people would then think that "bodacious" was referring to the newer, sex-derived meaning of the word. After watching the series it is clear that the original meaning is actually the correct one. It seems clear to me that the use of "bodacious" was deliberately done as a marketing gimmick so as to invoke the newer, sexier meaning and get people to watch.
BSzabo45

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
There was actually a follow up article to this.

[Recent opinion polls have shown that anime fans are still not sure if Princess Gruier Serenity will be a boon to the show she stars in.

When asked if she thought fans would like her character, Miss Serenity responded “I think they'll like me once they get to know me. I tend to think of myself as a young Sailor Moon, as you can see by the hair style. All I ask is that viewers give me a chance.”

In a related story, General of Darkness Jadeite caught wind of the remark and issued a statement in response, quote, “Listen, I knew Sailor Moon, I got my ass kicked by Sailor Moon, you are no Sailor Moon.”

The princess lamented, telling reporters that she is simply Princess Gruier Serenity, the Dan Quayle of the Anime scene.]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It seems clear to me that the use of "bodacious" was deliberately done as a marketing gimmick so as to invoke the newer, sexier meaning and get people to watch.

No. It's clear that the name was chosen based on the original definition of bodacious. The trailer for Bodacious Space Pirates laid out exactly what the show is. If you want to see a trailer for a show that is trying to be sexy (or show a bunch of voluptuous characters) then this should show the difference.

This is just people not understanding the definition of a word and getting mad at that. The show never was, is, will, or ever intended to be about fanservice. If people got the wrong idea, that's all on them.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
It seems clear to me that the use of "bodacious" was deliberately done as a marketing gimmick so as to invoke the newer, sexier meaning and get people to watch.

No. It's clear that the name was chosen based on the original definition of bodacious. The trailer for Bodacious Space Pirates laid out exactly what the show is. If you want to see a trailer for a show that is trying to be sexy (or show a bunch of voluptuous characters) then this should show the difference.

This is just people not understanding the definition of a word and getting mad at that. The show never was, is, will, or ever intended to be about fanservice. If people got the wrong idea, that's all on them.

Now, now, now... the chest sizes for the female characters in anime version of Horizon were reduced compared to the light novel version iirc. Laughing

How about this one instead? Wink
shukero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Is anything happening in this show now?

this isnt the typical type of show where it's all action, then all talking. It's a bit of both. This series did start off slow, because they wanted to give the characters a back story. It seems they are getting into more fights as time goes on.

On a side note, I guess they are paying homage to sailor moon? Either that or they want people who love sailor moon to like this series xD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm not seeing the big deal. We've seen the back of Serenity in the OP since the series started and she was in the trailer so we knew what was coming.
shukero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I'm not seeing the big deal. We've seen the back of Serenity in the OP since the series started and she was in the trailer so we knew what was coming.

I think that ANN just wanted to bring up the fact that they are paying homage to sailor moon. That's pretty nice and cool to do Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
For comparison, I offer this image, which compares how several characters were drawn for the source novels with how they appear in the series. I think that the princess looks a touch generic in both versions, but less so in the series.

Is Gruier her official name or just a subtitling error, like Barbalusa instead of Barbarossa? I ask because when I read the katakana for her name, which was embarrassingly difficult for me, I thought it was something cheesier.

Lord, I apologize...

Wait, that's a Larry the Cable Guy reference. Now I'm going to double Hell!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Is Gruier her official name or just a subtitling error, like Barbalusa instead of Barbarossa?

Eh? It's quite clearly バルバルーサ in dialogue [and the wikitron agrees]; searching for that gets you solely mouretsu pirates and related stuff, with a "Do you mean バルバロッサ" recommendation.

It's not a subtitle or translation error. [reminds me of tweeny witches and the name of the lead character]
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
No. It's clear that the name was chosen based on the original definition of bodacious. The trailer for Bodacious Space Pirates laid out exactly what the show is.

Where I went wrong is that I thought Bodacious Space Pirates was not the translation of Moretsu Pirates but simply a name that The Anime Network had given the show.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Where I went wrong is that I thought Bodacious Space Pirates was not the translation of Moretsu Pirates but simply a name that The Anime Network had given the show.

Considering the logo Bodacious Space Pirates was plastered all over the JP homepage months before Sentai even picked up the license, how in the world did you come up with that conclusion?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Simple. I'm not the sort of obsessive fan that looks at the Japanese homepage, especially when I cannot read Japanese.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Simple. I'm not the sort of obsessive fan that looks at the Japanese homepage, especially when I cannot read Japanese.

-lmao-
I find it amusing that you immediately translate anyone visiting the JP homepage to be an obsessive fan.
And considering some of your commentary about this series in particular, I'd argue the point that you're not.
However, I'll leave it at that.

But since you bring up not being able to read Japanese as one of the reasons you don't go, I take it you didn't bother looking up the ANN entry on it either, since Bodacious Space Pirates was an Alt Title in the entry here as well, months before Sentai picked up the license.
zensunni

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I had never checked out the home page for the show until I noticed that the logo on screen included Bodacious. I checked out the web-site after that because I too thought it was the title Sentai had given it. It is clear that the creators of the anime did the translation of Moretsu to Bodacious. I find it interesting that both words have similarly mixed meanings, with Moretsu generally meaning hard working, gung-ho, and that type of thing, but also having the history of some old commercial in which the word is used in a leering manner about a girl in a mini-skirt... I would say they knew exactly what they were doing when they chose both the Japanese and English titles.

As for the show being for lolicons, there is exactly ONE character in the show that looks like a loli, and she is supposed to be several years younger than the MC. (She is middle school age, but it is unclear what year.) The princess is not supposed to be a sexualized character from the way the show presented her. For that matter, none of the characters are sexualized in this show. If that is all you watch anime for, there are these sites that have real naked women on them, I suggest you spend your time there...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3