• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Arrietty Earns US$14.6 Million After 2nd Weekend

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Hmm interesting, I've not seen the film yet for either subbed or the recent dubbed version.

I have read a review recently and thought was decent. I might check out this film soon tbh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Volibear

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
looking at the numbers i'd say there is a realistic shot of Arrietty hitting no. 3 on the lifetime gross list, it'd need another $5.1m to make it, although since i never go to to see movies i don't know what the viewership drop offs are like for the 3rd week and beyond of a movie but i'd at least think i'd make the $2.5m to make 4th

still, either way knocking on the door of $15m after 2 weeks is quite the accomplishment, hopefully it leads to more big releases like this
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
It's actually got a better drop than Ponyo and holding up quite well. Plus, looks like my comment about it kicking Jar Jar's ass finally came to fruition. Maybe on a technicality-everyone stupid enough to pay for TPM again in 3D already saw it by now-but that's good enough for me. And I agree it would be nice for it to be bigger 'n' Yugioh, but that depends how many theaters Disney's willing to keep it in now. Ponyo surprisingly stuck it out for 12 weeks, so who knows what Disney will do with Arrietty. Maybe if they're smart, they'll milk the whole Dobbs- manufactured controversy.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
30.1% decrease from the first weekend. Ponyo dropped 32.4%.

How much has Disney invested in this release?
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

Aside from the increased theatre count, I don't think it's been promoted much more than Ponyo was. They have done a subtle online campaign targeted specifically at women though. Good on Disney for picking up the "chick flick" vibe of Arrietty.

Arrietty looks to have more staying power than the films released the same week (Ghost Rider and This Means War dropped like rocks), and even some of the films released this week (Gone and Wanderlust will die quickly). The Lorax will be cutting into the family appeal factor of Arrietty though.

It SHOULD hit 20 million eventually. I suspect next weekend Arrietty will make in the neighbourhood of 2 million, which should bring its total to around 17 million by the end of next weekend.

Last edited by bravetailor on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Lol, and all of them are Ghibli Anime hyper

And that Earthsea, I've never heard of it. I wonder if I can watch it anywhere..
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:
looking at the numbers i'd say there is a realistic shot of Arrietty hitting no. 3 on the lifetime gross list, it'd need another $5.1m to make it, although since i never go to to see movies i don't know what the viewership drop offs are like for the 3rd week and beyond of a movie but i'd at least think i'd make the $2.5m to make 4th
this

Well, Ponyo's total box office take was about 90% more than it's 10-day total.

Applying that to Arrietty, you get a total box office take of about $28 million.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
One thing that irritates me about weekend estimates is that Sunday is a basically a big stab in the dark. They're basing their Sunday night estimates on midday earnings, but a lot can happen between the afternoon and night. I mean, it's true that they're usually not far off, but it can still be the difference in a close race.
Mune

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:

Well, that's because most theaters will screen anything backed by Disney and anything not, will most likely not be shown. Theaters know that Ghibli films are profitable. Why else should they put something not as profitable in theaters?
shukero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I've been seeing more and more ads on tv for this movie :3=

It's good to see that Disney is being pro-active towards this movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
silentjay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:

Considering that's the list of Ghibli films released by Disney, I'd hope that they'd all be Ghibli.

This is the listing for top anime theatrical releases in North America:
http://boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=anime.htm
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Mune: I doubt Ghibli films are that profitable. Disney has to pay for screenings. But G-rated films are an incentive to bring over a bigger audience than other movies, so I imagine that factor comes into play.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:

Aside from the increased theatre count, I don't think it's been promoted much more than Ponyo was. They have done a subtle online campaign targeted specifically at women though. Good on Disney for picking up the "chick flick" vibe of Arrietty.

It's has also been promoted with "Disney 365" voice actor behind-the-scenes and TV spots of the film and bridgett Mendlers music video of her song for the film. Heck, there's been commercials on channels I would've never expected it to be promoted in. I once saw it on the Teennick during the 90s Are All That programming block once and then again I think on Fox. Disney's been going fairly all-out with this movie. Or at the very least, more than what any other anime company could be capable of promoting with whatever they license. Although I guess the brand managing team for Arrietty is much bigger than say whatever Funimation could provide. Again, it's only my guess.
angieness

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:

And that Earthsea, I've never heard of it. I wonder if I can watch it anywhere..

Netflix has it up I believe.
BlueHaro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:12 am Reply with quote
I was pretty amazed when I saw Arrietty during multiple commercial breaks during the U.S. Figure Skating Championships Shocked

I'm glad it's doing well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2