• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hatsune Miku x Powerpuff Girls Keychains Offered in Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm no expert, but I know enough katakana to know they mixed up Bubbles and Buttercup's names in that image.

Really cute either way.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Meh. Powerpuff Girls Z was better than the original, even if it bungled some of the jokes.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Meh. Powerpuff Girls Z was better than the original, even if it bungled some of the jokes.

Really how so? I haven't seen it yet. I think you're the first person I've seen say that. Most people prefer the original.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
Kimiko_0 wrote:

Really how so? I haven't seen it yet. I think you're the first person I've seen say that. Most people prefer the original.

I haven't seen it either, but the PPGZ character designs look hideously generic to me.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
I'm no expert, but I know enough katakana to know they mixed up Bubbles and Buttercup's names in that image.

...Holy crap. You're right. D:

Cain Highwind wrote:

I dunno. I felt there was a huge disconnect within the series itself between some REALLY amazing episodes and some REALLY bad episodes. I mean, some episodes were extremely entertaining and meaningful. And then... some weren't. But then, I'd actually say the same for the original.
The argument comparing the two, though, usually ends up at the point in which people realize the two are far too different from each other to be judged by anything other than relative personal preference. Though, on the side of people who prefer the original, I think some of them have the nostalgia factor going for them. The original had its flops, too, you know.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
:looks up more into it:

Oh my god these transformation scenes are horrible.

Between the style of clothes they're wearing and the "motions" they're going through, it almost feels like a Debbie Gibson song should be playing!
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

Between the style of clothes they're wearing and the "motions" they're going through, it almost feels like a Debbie Gibson song should be playing!

Like I said, they're relative to your personal preferences. As a magical girl genre fan, I actually enjoyed the show. Transformation scenes included. :/
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

Like I said, they're relative to your personal preferences. As a magical girl genre fan, I actually enjoyed the show. Transformation scenes included. :/

Well...I'm glad you like it. No hate on you really.

My preferances just tend to be a little less...sugary

Not gonna be mean to you for having a preference, but I'm not going to be nice to the show either.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
I'm no expert, but I know enough katakana to know they mixed up Bubbles and Buttercup's names in that image

How amusing.

Cain Highwind wrote:

They pretty much improved it in every way. Art, story, characters, an actual plot. Characters grow and develop and all that stuff.

As for people, well, this is the US and a lot of people grew up with the original show. Nostalgia is a powerful thing, and obviously there's going to be some huge bias because of that. Assuming the people asked even like anime to begin with.

Shenl742 wrote:

Rolling Bubbles is an amazing song and I love the transformation sequences.

Though I guess it depends if you like magical girl anime or not.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
But bubbles don't roll!

Except in Megaman 2... Laughing

Quote:
As for people, well, this is the US and a lot of people grew up with the original show. Nostalgia is a powerful thing, and obviously there's going to be some huge bias because of that. Assuming the people asked even like anime to begin with.

True, but I stand that I like the original character designs better...or at least think they look much more memorable. I look at the original McCracken designs and think, "Those are the Powerpuff Girls!"

I look at these ones think, "Are these chibi-versions of the cast from Super Gals! cosplaying as the Powerpuff Girls"?

And it seems to have ramped up the "chirpiness" of the original up to 11...something I'm not partial to.

Just my preferance Very Happy

Last edited by Shenl742 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
shukero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I really never thought I'd see the day... Miku in powerpuff form xD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
And it seems to have ramped up the "chirpiness" of the original up to 11...something I'm not partial to.

Wonder how you feel about the opening

One of my favorites.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

One of my favorites.

...not the most obnoxious opening I've ever seen, but yeah, pretty obnoxious.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

One of my favorites.

Actually, I didn't think that opening or the song made an impact on me at all. But still, when it comes to the character designs and the show itself, it really only appeals to people who are into the magical girl genre (tokusatsu-like additions as well).
Though, again, while some of the show was pretty flat and some episodes were downright ugly... there were also quite a few episodes that really packed a punch, both literally and metaphorically. I'd split up my experience of the show as 1/3rd average, 1/3rd bad, and 1/3rd great.

Aside from a few major differences in the series, there's not a huge linearity, so it might benefit you to research in order to find some of the better episodes.
rrizqiw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
PPGZ is nice decent show to me.

many american (for obvious reason) hate it thought
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2