• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Death Note GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That said, there’s a chance people looking for some kind of shonen action-adventure where Light Yagami controls his shinigami against a bunch of other kids with shinigami… those folks would be much happier reading, say, Shaman King.

Way to be subtle, Zac. Wink

Yes, this certainly doesn't seem like your average SJ fare. Good for them for expanding their horizions (at least for now).
Demaar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Hehehe, I remember aaaages ago, when Viz was doing a survey, suggesting Deathnote and Monster for manga I'd like to see licensed (or something to that effect) by them. Awesome to see they picked them both up Very Happy

Anyway, believe it or not, Deathnote manages to continue compelling well into its 8th volume (which is as far as I've read). Though the way the 7th ended, I don't know if it will continue holding my interest, since it's taken an odd turn that I won't go into.
Regardless though, this is definitely a series I'll be picking up the English release of, for sure.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
If you're worried about Death Note becoming stale: don't be. It comes up with new twists to keep things going.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Heh...when I visited Japan in August, I picked up the first two volumes of Death Note because I knew about the premise and had heard some good murmurings about them. Sure, I couldn't read anything (other than the pages "How to Use the Death Note" that were in English), but I could at least guess about what was going on. It was a big surprise that I come back to the US, get my new issue of Shonen Jump, and in the next issue preview, they brag about a Death Note preview now that it's licensed. Quite a coincidence.

Anyways, I'm really looking forwards to this series, especially after the full chapter preview (in English) last Shonen Jump.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
If you're worried about Death Note becoming stale: don't be. It comes up with new twists to keep things going.

Wouldn't exacally say that with the events a couple of volumes in. Anyways, I find Death Note to be somewhat overated for the most part. Don't get me wrong, it's highly entertaining read and a great change of pace for a Shonen Jump, but an A? It's definitally above average, but doesn't reach the level of other thrillers like Monster or Homunculus.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:57 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

i actually might have liked it better if it was stale, the recent events have been kinda ridiculous. i am interested in how this will end though.

why do my posts keep disappearing?

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:01 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
why do my posts keep diappearing?

They either fall under the "no listing" rule or "no non-contributing one-liners" rule. Please provide more substance in your posts, and less of them will disappear.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I knew from the preview in Jump that it'd be too ambitious to be consistent. But I'm intrigued by it, anyway, because of its Devil Man-like characters. I like what I've read in the TPB so far, but I'm waiting to see what happens in the next few volumes before commenting.
galaxypolice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:48 pm Reply with quote
DEATHNOTE review!!!! surprised ann got their hands on it so fast.
but yeah, as some people have said, i am well into the 8th volume and it hasn't show signs of being repetative. the twists and plot 180 degree turn arounds keep the story fresh. my only complaints are that i still have not found it in stores yet!
.Sy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:41 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I figured that out around chapters 30 and 60. Now that it's liscenced, I can read it fluently, and not without bumpy translations at times. Tho' it'll be a while before I can pick up any manga at all.
Quote:
Particularly notable is the death god Ryuk, who could have been turned into a fan-pandering bishonen-style character but instead is a grotesque hulking beast.
I think Ryuk is kinda cute after a while, in the fluffy way, not love or anything scary. <_<;;;;;
What kind of stuffed animals did I have?!
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I just read the preview of this series in last month's Shonen Jump today and now will very likely start collecting this manga because of how intriguing the premise is. For some reason, part of the premise somewhat reminds me of the Punisher comics that I used to read. The main characters seem to have the same mindset (vigilanteism, little bit psychotic Twisted Evil), but have much different methods of dispatching evil doers. If this series contains little to no edits, then I'm definitely sold Smile. I think I'll wait after a few volumes before I make my decision.
RedComet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Why couldn't they just call him Raito and not Light? Shocked Also isn't Ryuuku's name shortened? Hopefully my friend will pick this volume up for me since my birthday is coming very soon.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Snowfairy: The comic reminds me of Jack Chick. :D
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
RedComet wrote:
Why couldn't they just call him Raito and not Light? Shocked Also isn't Ryuuku's name shortened? Hopefully my friend will pick this volume up for me since my birthday is coming very soon.
Yeah I was thinking about those too. It sounds awkward to call him Light Yagami instead of Raito Yagami, but it does contribute more to the oxymoron, since he's practically a death god himself.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Judging by what I've read, it's weird that it didn't get picked up for a live-action film instead of Monster. It has the more appealing premise. But I guess it could be misconstrued as another Donnie Darko to those who haven't read it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2