• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unrelated songs that make you think of certain anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
Has anyone else ever listened to a song and found themselves unable to help but think that that song, by virtue of lyrical content, similarity to the existing soundtrack, or simply its atmosphere, (would) fit(s) quite well with an anime that you have seen before, possibly to the point that you think that an AMV should exist? Razz

I feel that way about "Grey Horizon (M.P.H. MMIV)" by Void of Silence on their album Human Antithesis, where the corresponding anime is Ergo Proxy. I feel that the former's dark, post-apocalyptic, wasteland atmosphere, as well as its lyrics, fit the latter's setting for most of its run.

Anyone else?

Last edited by Gatherum on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh, yes, and this is why, I'm sure, the AMV was invented. Laughing

When I heard Kamelot's "Soul Society" I immediately was thinking along the lines of Bleach parallels. Someone was even awesome enough to create an AMV about it. Cool
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:21 am Reply with quote
Whenever I hear "Danger Zone" (you know that song from Top Gun) I think of Macross Plus.

Also, now whenever I hear Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper, I will think of either Dirty Pair or Princess Jellyfish!

80's or 90's music in general makes me think of anime for some reason. Anime hyper
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
linsanity wrote:
I can not live without music
That sounds terrible. Were you kidnapped and subjected to hypnotic reprogramming, or something?
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:46 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
linsanity wrote:
I can not live without music
That sounds terrible. Were you kidnapped and subjected to hypnotic reprogramming, or something?

Presumably the RIAA has been brainwashing him through the Monster Beats brand headphones and earbuds at the link in his profile.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gatherum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
Wha?
JuniorMintKiss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
'Miracle' by Vertical Horizon always reminds me of Fruits Basket. I can see Kyo's POV in this song - he and his family wishing for some kind of a miracle so their curse can be lifted.

Another one of their songs would be Best I Ever Had/Grey Sky Morning. This one reminds me of InuYasha and Kikyo's relationship; how she was the best he ever had/knew, but they had to part their ways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote
Debussy's Claire de Lune reminds me of Kanno's Yin no Piano in episode 13 of Darker Than Black...I wonder why. (This is facetious, but I'll spare you the tedious explanation.) Honestly, she should have just put Claire de Lune in there. I mean the whole episode positively reeks of it; Yin even has this moment where she's rapt in the moonlight (did I mention that's what 'claire de lune' means: 'moonlight'?), on the piano, her teacher telling her to put emotion into the piece. If you've seen the episode, listen to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIsQPdC9YnY) and tell me it's not a better fit. Do note the theme after the glissandos (Kanno's theme is essentially identical, but again, I'll spare you the jargon).
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:00 am Reply with quote
Meshuggah's new song, "Break Those Bones Whose Sinews Gave It Motion," seems to me a potentially fitting representative of metal for the horror lover. I have at times thought of Another when listening to it, but, lyrically speaking, I am not sure that it quite fits outside of fanon interpretations of the story. The song itself, while not laden with layers of dark ambient blankets, exudes a certain primal desperation. Ominous, if you will.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
Meshuggah's new song, "Break Those Bones Whose Sinews Gave It Motion," seems to me a potentially fitting representative of metal for the horror lover. I have at times thought of Another when listening to it, but, lyrically speaking, I am not sure that it quite fits outside of fanon interpretations of the story. The song itself, while not laden with layers of dark ambient blankets, exudes a certain primal desperation. Ominous, if you will.

Another is more Straws Pulled at Random for me, especially because of the lyrics. For instance:
Ripped away by destiny-claws
Am I another of fate's possessions
Dwelling the lie of freedom
Just another straw pulled at random

Denied the self control of fate
we flow suspended in semi-life
Until the ever imminent day
when oblivion claims our breath

Have I appeased the gods of fate
Am I allowed another day
Must I die to escape
the scanning eyes of death

Edit: Link added per comment below.
Straws Pulled At Random

Last edited by Svidrigailov on Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Svidrigailov wrote:
Gatherum wrote:

Another is more Straws Pulled at Random for me, especially because of the lyrics. For instance:

Am I allowed another day
Must I die to escape

Links welcome. :3
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
Svidrigailov wrote:
Gatherum wrote:

Am I allowed another day
Must I die to escape

Links welcome. :3

Link added. It's notable that Haake (their crazy drummer) writes the majority of the lyrics.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
This is a tough one for me.

This happened to me much more often in the early days (2007-8). Nowadays, I only relate anime songs to their proper animes Razz

To make things even worse, I rarely listen to japanese music outside animes OST.

Anyway, I remember a song: "Ode To Joy" from Beethoven's 9th Symphony, I totally related that one to Neon Genesis Evangelion. Since a godly anime deserved a godly song, or so I thought back then ^___^

Couldn't listen to Ode To Joy without remembering Evangelion, and couldn't see Eva without thinking that song was just the perfect fit.
sixtopia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes! I have a play list just for songs that I think should be Cowboy Bebop somehow. A few tracks are music by Yoko Kano or Scott Mathew that they did for other projects. Some of it is kind of obvious, like "Shooting Star" by The Bebop Cowboys or the Antony and the Johnsons version of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door". Most of it is stuff that sounds like what is already on the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack and happens to match the "space" theme like "East Of The Sun" by a-ha:

Another Day Leaves Me Aching
I Try To Wake Up
But Something's Breaking
Here Inside Me
Deep And Hollow
A Sound That No Other Sound Could Follow
I Know The Pain
Before The Wound
East Of The Sun
And West Of The Moon
Gatherum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quote
So I found this song last night. It is "Wash It All Away" by Jesu, on Pale Sketches (which I have in my library, but I didn't realise that this gem was on it), and while it does not make me think of any particular anime, the video that goes with it here really made me want to see an AMV that was basically anime "stock footage," i.e. strangely-cut video of factory machines in motion, flowers growing in accelerated photography, and what have you, with this song. Basically, a video very much like the one provided, but with anime footage instead. I think that'd be so cool, even if it would do little else than raise a few eyebrows. x3

The video also reminded me of the official music video for Cult of Luna's "Leave Me Here" (abridged variant; full song here). I also would love to see an AMV in a style similar to this video, where the footage is monotone, framed, cut, and repeated in a rather strange manner. Since the video as it is appears to be a statement against herd mentality, I almost think that it, too, could be related to Ergo Proxy or other anime involving a dystopia or repressed individuality. Lyrically, it may also fit, due to this verse:

These men are running hard
But you keep down your voices
Living only to judge heavy
All mysteries aside there was a truth outside

(Full lyrics here.)

From a certain point of view, it makes sense. The whole song has very subtle hints.

On another note entirely, I feel that Antimatter's "Epitaph" (yes, the new version, because it is quite beautiful as a depressive rock song), lyrically speaking, could be applied to Chihiro's situation from Ef: A Tale of Memories, where the figurative epitaph refers to her past self, having died along with "the world she used to see" thirteen hours ago--a world that she constantly loses sight of because she is trapped in a room within her mind that lacks a window through which she can look back on it. If only such a window could exist for her.

Paint me a room where I can dream
Dream of a world that I used to see
Paint me a window, soft and defined
And flood yellow light
Through the open blinds
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2