• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Final Fantasy: Unlimited DVD 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:11 pm Reply with quote
The new review of FFU doesn't mention director Mahiro Maeda (except in the credits list outside the body of the review.) I think that's odd, since the director of Blue Submarine No. 6 and the Animatrix two-parter has a reputation; given that, wouldn't it be appropriate for the review to evaluate this show's place in his body of work? The show is being reviewed with no consideration of the context of the creators' past work. I haven't seen this show, but when an anime is the work of a noteworthy director the review should consider these matters.

Further unsolicited opinions available upon request.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Cassandra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Does it matter if it's a crappy show?

I've watched as much as I can bear of FFU....it just sucks. It doesn't matter who directed it. I can tell you that when I watched it, I didn't know who directed it. And it wouldn't have mattered much. Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:29 pm Reply with quote
It matters because the director of one of the most well regarded portions of Animatrix is presumably capable of doing good work. If FFU is so bad, that's a lapse for this director, and it's important to understand the ramifications of that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Cassandra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
It matters because the director of one of the most well regarded portions of Animatrix is presumably capable of doing good work. If FFU is so bad, that's a lapse for this director, and it's important to understand the ramifications of that.

I dunno that it's all that important. I mean, if you want to go that far....you might as well name the entire production crew.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:20 pm Reply with quote
What I'm talking about isn't going very far at all... it's standard practice in professional film reviewing. When an acclaimed director does work that is considered inferior, that fact is typically examined in the review.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Thing is, the guy's not meant to review the director and the relevance of FFU to his body of works, he's meant to review the three or four (or however many) episodes of the series that are on that disc. If he was reviewing the entire series of FFU in one go, he might want to touch on the director a bit, but he's only focusing on a small portion. Thus it would seem kind of unnecessary to go on and mention how Maeda's fallen from grace or whatever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:31 pm Reply with quote
It's SOP, in reviewing anything a major director does, to touch on the position of the work in the context of the director's overall canon. It doesn't matter if it's a review of one disk or the whole series. The director should be mentioned. Failure to do so is a significant oversight for anything like a critical review.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I tend to agree with Aaron on this. I don't think that it's *mandatory* for the review to mention this, nor do I think that the review is worthless without this information.

But I do agree that the review might have been slightely improved by mentionning this information.

I'll also keep it in mind for other reviews.

-t
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Didn't FFU come out BEFORE the Animatrix though?
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:51 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Didn't FFU come out BEFORE the Animatrix though?

It wouldn't matter if FFU came out before Animatrix because if his work prior to FFU was better than FFU, then it's worth mentioning. Haven't seen Animatrix, but if the Animatrix stuff was good and the Blue Submarine 6 stuff was good, FFU being noted as a low point for him is worth mentioning.

I don't know much about directors, but Aaron says:
Quote:
The new review of FFU doesn't mention director Mahiro Maeda (except in the credits list outside the body of the review.) I think that's odd, since the director of Blue Submarine No. 6 and the Animatrix two-parter has a reputation; given that, wouldn't it be appropriate for the review to evaluate this show's place in his body of work?

When you look up Blue Submarine #6, "Mahiro Maeda" isn't listed as a director, he's credited for storyboards. "Masahiro Maeda" is listed as being director for Blue Submarine #6.

If you look up "Masahiro Maeda", he has no staff listing towards FFU, but if you click on the news link, his name is listed in #3. as having a "general discussion" with him as a feature on the Japanese release. No mention of "Mahiro Maeda."

If you look up "Mahiro Maeda", his name is credited as being director of FFU.

Is this the same person only with his name spelled two ways? Or two different people with strange credits attached to them?
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:51 pm Reply with quote
It's possible that one of the names might be a psuedonym for union work. For example, David Lucas is also know as Steven Blum. One name is for union, the other is non. (And don't give me that "It's two different people" crap. IMDB confirms that it's the same guy.)
Ramen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I am almost positive that Mahiro Maeda directed Blue Sub No. 6. The Picture under Masahiro Maeda is definately Mahiro Maeda. So, yeah, is this a mistake in the Encyclopedia? Or, are they the same person?
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:56 pm Reply with quote
*lol* That's what I'm asking... Anime smile
I think it's just an inconsistency in the encyclopedia.
shoe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:18 am Reply with quote
what is wrong with you people? haven't you ever heard of "style"??!!?!? do alittle research on the word "wonderland" and then tell me that the anime was bad. it upsets me that there are people as shallow as this. you have no idea what FFU is even about or half of what the writers are trying to get across. go back to your dbz and sailormoon. bums

*forgot to point out, its a pretty big theme amoung the final fantasy games that NONE of them have anything to do with ANY of the others. why the hell would the anime be any different? once again, bums
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:42 am Reply with quote
So you revive a year-old thread for the sole sake of being unconstructive and arrogant? Nah, that doesn't fly. If you have an issue with how ANN does something, try being civil instead of trying to put yourself on some higher pedestal. Also...yeah, don't dredge of ancient history.

Locked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1