• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
All You Need is KILL

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
So, I got this not too long back for $2 at the used bookstore, I was kinda just taking a chance with it, but I do so love the idea of Groundhog Day loops and the back of the book made it ever so clear that there were.

Actually, I had planned to read half of the book (seeing how it was 3 in the morning) but then I suddenly decided to go all the way and was up til 5 in the morning. I don't think I've pulled an all nighter to read something since I played Ghost Trick on the DS (actually that was back around Xmas time), but it was quite addicting. Actually, Ghost Trick was a 12 hour thing, I played that game from start to finish, took about 12 hours, they were 12 awesome hours.

Getting back on topic, I'm curious if any one else has read this (or any HaikaSoru novels other than Battle Royale, which has been around in print a bit longer iirc with the HS being a reprint maybe?) I found it to be quite addicting, it was a lot like Groundhog Day where Keiji was figuring out what normal things happened in a day, but with battles and stuff instead of trying to score with Andie MacDowell. While in Groundhog Day, we don't really know what causes the loop (not entirely accurate as early screenplays say what started it, but I do agree with the decision to axe it from the final cut) as it wasn't really needed, here it's a bit more needed and we get to find out, and I quite liked finding out how and how to fix it. Poor Bill Murray had no idea how to fix his, but knowing doesn't make it easy, and I liked the twist on it towards the end that I shant spoil.

I personally think this would make an awesome short OVA series (one per chapter), but I still have no idea exactly what the diagram next to the table of contents exactly meant.
*edit, TVTropes says that a film adaptation is being worked on by the Bourne series guy, but I'd still want an anime version too, without Tom Cruise unless he's the psychotic vampire again (and there is no psychotic vampire here, I guess as long as he's not Keiji who's supposed to be fresh out of high school, I can deal with it)
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I dug it, too, but the ending's a bit depressing.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
There's been multiple articles about the film right here on ANN.

I picked up the book because of the ABe art on the cover and bought it because it also sounded interesting, and I really enjoyed it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
^Clearly I don't pay enough attention to the news, or else I filtered it out since I've only read the book in the past 24 hours and it didn't seem to be of personal interest to me before this.

Anyway, I'd always been curious if anime/manga people read any of the novels being put out more recently, seems some of us do!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1