• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Deleting an Account or Changing Account Name

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anglicanotaku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote
"Way back when, when I was little bitty boy living in a box under the stairs on the corner of the basement of the house half a block down from Jerry's bait shop...you know the place," ... I joined the forum, and crafted what I thought was a useful descriptor. Was that ever a fail. Now I am wanting to correct that by changing my name.

I want, if possible to change my account name to "Yuuenchi". Failing that, I'd like to either 1) change the email address, so I can use the current email address to create an account bearing my preferred name (thus making this account inactive or dormant); or 2) have this account deleted, so I can (again) free up my email account to register my new name.

I've looked through the faqs, tried to determine who the mods and admins are without much success, but did finally find this sub-forum. Any help you can provide will be appreciated.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:09 am Reply with quote
I think deleting accounts is only done in extremely rare cases if a user has been really, really, really bad. ANN doesn't like to delete accounts since that causes or can cause some issues. I can't even remember the last time it happened.

I think simply having your account renamed would be the easiest option. Since you've only made four posts (one of which is this request) and have adequately explained why you want the name change, I don't see why someone like Dan42 couldn't help you out. If you haven't had a response to your query in, oh, a week's time, then just send Dan42 a polite Private Message bringing this to his attention.

I hope once your username has been changed to your liking you will be more active in the Forum. Could always use more people round here.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:52 am Reply with quote
Here's a better idea: just create a new account. While the staff may frown on it, so long as you actually abandon the old account, I don't think they'll care. Saves them time and effort.
Smile
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I did think of that. However, it seems like they want to use to use their E-mail address for their new account, which they wouldn't be able to do if their old account still exists.
anglicanotaku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
The problem though is that I need the new account to be connected with my exiisting email address, and I think that this particular Forum software does not allow multiple accounts to be linked to the same email address. I could be wrong though. The easiest, easiest thing would be to change the name, if it is allowed. I think this particular software does allow that, from experience with Forums on other sites who run the same software.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I know that usernames can be changed by Admin, don't worry about that.

I'm not sure if multiple accounts can be connected to the same E-mail address, but my gut feeling is "no". Of course, you could always try to make a new account with the same E-mail address and try it anyway . . . it couldn't hurt.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
...or change the email address associated with this account...
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, simple and elegant . . . genuis.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
As anyone can easily tell, I've been here since 2008 and while I am pretty sure there have been accounts deleted in the past (and likely the present as well) but I can honestly say I am not sure that username or user identification (also known as user ID) can be changed at all.

ANN uses a database system ( likely a specialized one at that) and each database system is different, I've noticed in general name changes with these system, usually isn't viable either to limitations of the software or because the fact a great deal of work is required in some cases.

DerekTheRed has a pretty great suggestion though and I would actually recommend you do that first before you go through the hassle of creating a brand new account, setting up a new email address any other work involved.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I did think of that. However, it seems like they want to use to use their E-mail address for their new account, which they wouldn't be able to do if their old account still exists.

Hmm. Someone better tell admin there's a bug, then. Wink
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
...but I can honestly say I am not sure that username or user identification (also known as user ID) can be changed at all.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=120108

I knew that usernames had been changed in the past, but I had to go to page eight to find such a case.

As you can see, the biggest problem is identity. I thought wholesale changes had been made, but I couldn't find a case where that had actually happened.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, I truly wasn't sure if such ability was possible here, mind you I figured this wasn't impossible either. Great work Dtm42, although that thread is over 3 years old, that certainly did answer my question.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I might as well clear everything up:

ANN has it set so you cannot use the same email with multiple accounts.

Due to your email being in an input (and not just text) here, I'm assuming ANN has it enabled to allow you to change email. Admins are also capable of changing your email.

Admins are capable of changing your username.

Through simple DB editing, they can even change your user ID.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
As you can see, the biggest problem is identity.

I'm reminded of someone who stated they could pick my posting style out in a heartbeat after I changed mine. Even though I was kind enough to announce my former PJ name in Community, everyone else seemed to pick up on the fact I was PJ.

Identity includes much more than a username. Avatars play a huge part in the role as well, even with your own admission it takes a second longer for you to identify your own posts once it's changed.

I can assure you, dtm42, if you changed your username and your avatar, people would recognize you the second you indirectly call them a retard.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I'm reminded of someone who stated they could pick my posting style out in a heartbeat after I changed mine.

Interesting. I had no idea that you used to be PetrifiedJello. But it explains certain shared behavioural patterns.

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I can assure you, dtm42, if you changed your username and your avatar, people would recognize you the second you indirectly call them a retard.

That's because I wear my heart on my sleeve. If I have an opinion or hold a view then I express it. Gets me into trouble sometimes, but it's how I roll.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2