• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight: Spring 2012

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Well honestly I'll be more interested in the anime if its picked up and is given an English dub but at the moment it looks like it might be a decent watch but one can't truly tell until the first episode airs.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Looks good, though rather than horror it feels like it'll be school life shenanigans with a ghost (and I'm totally okay with that).

Still, will have to see how it stacks up against Another.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, looks kinda interesting (although mostly I'm just amused to see a ghost start up a club to solve her own death, it's just so practical sounding) so I'll be sure to check out an episode or two if it gets a simulcast.
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:29 am Reply with quote
I'm always open to a good ghost story. Doesn't look anywhere near as lighthearted as Natsu no Arashi!, but I doubt it'll be a bloodbath like Another, either.

I'm a little annoyed that it seems Middle School has become the new High School, but that appears endemic to anime so I can't hold that against any particular show.

I'll give it enough rope to hang itself...
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:05 am Reply with quote
I've really enjoyed the manga so far. Somewhat ecchi, but not excessively so. It deals with some very dark ideas and events, but much of the time is quite light-hearted.

The mystery surrounding Yuuko's death is always there in the background, and most of the school mysteries seem to tie into it in some way, distorted as part of the myth of "Yuuko-san". However the direct tie-ins to her death often aren't the focal point, but instead feed into the relationships between the main characters spoiler[(though not Momoe so much as not only can't she see Yuuko, but for the majority of the time doesn't know she exists apart from the stories of "Yuuko-san")].
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:34 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Kinda reeks of the Another of this season, so I'll pass on it.

Watch the first episode at least. There's also 2 other horror/mystery related series for Spring season: Hyouka and Sankarea.

If done correctly, Sankarea should be on another level entirely. There's no mystery in that one, no ghosts or supernatural elements either. Sankarea's a somewhat disturbing horror romance. And by somewhat, I mean it's very sick.

I haven't seen Another but I have read a bit of Amnesia and I was more impressed by the art than the story and characters. I won't mention what passes a "surprise " in the series but they were less than stellar. So it's pretty much the perfect vehicle for Oonuma {Is there a consensus to spell his name yet?} to run into a brick wall.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:40 am Reply with quote
If you read the manga for a few chapters you know that this stuff is nowhere as horrifying compared to Another. After reading the manga you will know that this is in fact a fan-service/moe show about a "hot ghost" and there is nothing else more to it. The mysteries that they solve are all generic stuffs. I might watch this for the first few episodes because the animation and soundtrack seem awesome, but I will probably drop this after 4 episodes because nothing will be happening.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
I'm intrigued by Tsuritama since it's airing in the noitaminA block but isn't the director the same guy who did [C] last year? Definitely makes me a little more hesitant but I know I'm gonna try it out anyway....
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
Woah, actually seems kinda interesting-

>1 male character
>3 female characters

NOPE

My harem alarm is beeping way too loudly for this to be any good.
DRWii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I'm intrigued by Tsuritama since it's airing in the noitaminA block but isn't the director the same guy who did [C] last year? Definitely makes me a little more hesitant but I know I'm gonna try it out anyway....

Yep, Kenji Nakamura directed "C," and "Trapeze" as well. I'm not so sure I'd call myself a "fan" of his stuff, but him directing something is enough to get me to watch it. I'm kind of surprised he's already doing something when it's only been a year since "C."
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
If you read the manga for a few chapters you know that this stuff is nowhere as horrifying compared to Another. After reading the manga you will know that this is in fact a fan-service/moe show about a "hot ghost" and there is nothing else more to it. The mysteries that they solve are all generic stuffs. I might watch this for the first few episodes because the animation and soundtrack seem awesome, but I will probably drop this after 4 episodes because nothing will be happening.

huh maybe wait how can something be moe~ and ecchi at the same-time that doesn't compute on my radar lol. I usally stopped based shows off the source material in this day/age most animators have their own take on the product so eh.

Chagen46 wrote:

>1 male character
>3 female characters

NOPE

that is why you insert your-self as the male lead bro i am giving it shot, it looks decently animated from the preview.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

>1 male character
>3 female characters

NOPE

The four main characters shown are all boys, at least according to the info page. Hopefully it won't be a boy's life or romance show, though I am sure some are rooting for that.
The picture seems to indicate some extraordinary fishing action, so I hope it goes that 'extra' mile, but you never can tell.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

>1 male character
>3 female characters

NOPE

The four main characters shown are all boys, at least according to the info page. Hopefully it won't be a boy's life or romance show, though I am sure some are rooting for that.
The picture seems to indicate some extraordinary fishing action, so I hope it goes that 'extra' mile, but you never can tell.

I think that you might be a touch confused. Chagen46 was describing Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, not Tsuritama. The two are linked to the same thread, which I suppose will be used for all of the spotlights, so that's understandable

Tsuritama looks pretty weird, but not in a bad way. I don't care about fishing, but the the unusual choice of subject and the cheery, yet idiosyncratic art might make it worth sampling.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
that is why you insert your-self as the male lead bro i am giving it shot, it looks decently animated from the preview.

The male lead might as well not exist at that point then.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Tsuritama looks odd and interesting. I'll definitely be trying that one out this season. The artwork, particularly that main image, looks great. I hope to see some nostalgic, small-town flair!

I was initially interested in Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, as I thought it would be a strict horror or mystery tale. Knowing the manga has some strong ecchi or harem elements is a turn-off for me. I think I'll wait for the ANN preview guide; I'm already planning to watch a handful of series in Spring, so I have no priority to watch Dusk Maiden.

Last edited by RestLessone on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 19