• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hunter x Hunter Manga's Longest Uninterrupted Run to End

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xScar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
I stopped with HxH long ago...

What really irks me though is that his manga gets a reboot anime and is catching up to where he stopped and yet he goes on another hiatus, leaving the anime no more material to work with while other mangaka (like Akira Amano) work endlessly every week and their animes end and never come back.

If they're going to make an anime adaption of a manga that tends to go on hiatus, they should just wait until the series is finished. I don't want to see more OVAs and reboots of a series that really doesn't deserve it.

They're on volume five of the manga. There's over thirty volumes of material written now. It's not catching up any time soon. You can start to worry if he's not writing again and the anime is in the Ant Arc (which is around 15 volumes long... so even at the beginning, it's not too much to worry about).
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to know who drew up the headline for this. The point of a headline is to have a long-story-short, very straightforward summary of an article, right?

...In which case, it makes much more sense to say something along the lines of, "Hunter x Hunter Manga to Return to Hiatus." For a headline, what's present seems slightly misleading and a bit drawn out. I don't even read the manga, but this stuck out for me enough to say something, apparently.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I really liked Hunter X Hunter during its first episodes. The season with the Genei Ryodan was pretty good, but I was annoyed when they just left it with a really poor excuse (spoiler[the ghost of the dead is stopping Kurapica and the whole Ryodan is afraid of another Ghost]) and then be sent literally into a video game which was a bit boring for my taste with about 20 rules to take account of.
N.R.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
People seem to forget that Togashi never really "lay dormant" during his hiatus breaks. Just Look at what he did during the last 1.5 years' hiatus he had:

1. Supervised and participated in the production committee of the Level E anime.

2. Redraw and publish 3 volumes of the HunterxHunter manga.

3. Redraw cells for a Blu-ray rerelease of Yu Yu Hakusho.

So, yes, he's taking a break from drawing the HunterxHunter manga every time he goes on hiatus, but that does not mean he's taking a break from being alive or from working.

Maybe he's taking a break to help supervise an awsome HunterxHunter movie?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Not again!
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I am glad someone pointed this out, his volume forms always have good art, he goes back and redraws it, the crappy art is only for weekly releases.

And the reason they tolerate it, is because HXH is one of the best shonen titles of all time, the depth, story, and characters make things like Naruto and Bleach embarrassing to compare to.

Honestly as many people complain what crap naruto and bleach turned into, why would you want these guys to work nonstop.
shukero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Seriously, why hasn't he been fired?!

At least with Miura you can see that he's put that hard work into beserk so he deserves that break.

Togashi's work's resembled scribbles for the longest time. Good manga's come and died prematurely in jump (MxO, Double Arts, that zoo manga I can't remember the name of) whilst this hack gets run roughshaoud?!

This is why Sunday is the better publication.

I agree with arsenicsteel with this one. The reason why they keep people like Togashi & Berserk's Miura is because they sell, and sell very well.

If they didn't sell as well in such cases like the ones you pointed out mostly MxO -- (Which by the way I loved, and wished they still would put it out in the USA) they would drop it like a hot potato.

While there are some artists that do seem to get preferred treatment, most of the time manga is kept because of it's sales, not because of the artist or art.

Back on the main topic, I wonder what this might mean for the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kpk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I really hope for an original ending for the anime, because the manga really turned into crap.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
I really hope for an original ending for the anime, because the manga really turned into crap.

First, the manga hasn't even ended yet. So whether or not the manga ending is good or bad has yet to be seen.
The new anime has been claimed to be the most complete and definitive telling of the HxH manga. The chances of Madhouse crafting a new ending is slim to none.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I am glad someone pointed this out, his volume forms always have good art, he goes back and redraws it, the crappy art is only for weekly releases.

And the reason they tolerate it, is because HXH is one of the best shonen titles of all time, the depth, story, and characters make things like Naruto and Bleach embarrassing to compare to.

Honestly as many people complain what crap naruto and bleach turned into, why would you want these guys to work nonstop.

Naruto is far more enjoyable than Hunter x Hunter. I could never get into it given I dislike the main character and the long breaks it takes. I hope the anime does it's own thing when they get to that point.
shukero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

Naruto is far more enjoyable than Hunter x Hunter. I could never get into it given I dislike the main character and the long breaks it takes. I hope the anime does it's own thing when they get to that point.

Well there are usually three things that anime's do when they reach this point; 1) End with either a good or bad ending (depending on director) 2) go to filler untill the manga gets back on track (most likely not gonna happen with this anime) 3) continue on like the original FMA did with no regard to the original story (Although FMA has been the only anime I've seen to take this way out)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Bahahahaha yeah at this point I've come to expect it. Has someone been keeping a running tally of how many times this has happened?
population_tire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Don't you just love when people hate what's popular?
Thhyon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
This must be the reason why he always in hiatus
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:21 am Reply with quote
shukero wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Seriously, why hasn't he been fired?!

At least with Miura you can see that he's put that hard work into beserk so he deserves that break.

Togashi's work's resembled scribbles for the longest time. Good manga's come and died prematurely in jump (MxO, Double Arts, that zoo manga I can't remember the name of) whilst this hack gets run roughshaoud?!

This is why Sunday is the better publication.

I agree with arsenicsteel with this one. The reason why they keep people like Togashi & Berserk's Miura is because they sell, and sell very well.
You mistake what I said, Miura is a master of his craft in comparison to Togashi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4