• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Man Sued for Power Rangers Hooded Sweatshirts

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
Gotta say, I like the plugs in the logo.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
can they really do that, i mean it isnt Power rangder hoodie and its just a pattern. No logos or anything.

This is when i dont get stuff like T shirts/hoodies on the internet cause it seems that there are so many shirts with copyrighted material printed on them that for sure aren't licensed.

Easy example. Search Mario nintendo t shirt on ebay and see how many cheaply made but clearly copyright infringing material printed on white plain t shirts come up.

Hundreds.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
The pattern itself... That could slide...
But selling them in exactly those colors?
And calling them "Power Hoodiez"?

Sorry, but that's clearly crossing the "obvious" line.

Like, I kinda felt bad for the guy making custom batmobiles for people getting taken down, because those were original pieces of art, basically, but this is just cashing in on someone else's IP without paying them anything.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
It's always funny what people try to pass off as fair use. Anytime you're blatantly making money by using someone else's IP and aren't paying the owners a penny and haven't asked their permission, a red flag should go off in your head. This is the entire point of licensing.

Now... they'll just get shut down and if these things were selling well enough, Saban will start making them. If they'd played by the rules they probably could have worked out a licensing agreement with them.
prabb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Maybe if Saban cared to market things worth a damn... I mean have you guys even seen the official costume pattern shirts at Hot Topic? I wish I had known about these sooner. This is the kind of merchandise I want to waste my money on!
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
When I saw the title, I thought they were just suing over the name, but when I clicked through and saw the images, I thought, "This guy should just settle out of court".
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
It looks like they have a strong point with their complaint. However, I do say those hoodies look mighty fine and ingenious in their design implementation. They also look very natural, as they could easily pass for something you would normally see in an apparel store. I wonder if Saban is also kicking themselves for not thinking up something like this sooner.

Too bad sooooo many North American companies really fail in this area. The Japanese have made some very attractive and fashionable articles of clothing based around anime properties, too bad barely anyone here has taken any clues…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
"This guy should just settle out of court".

Coming off the heels of a similar case Louis Vuitton just tried, Saban should be the one settling for the absurdity of the case.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
@ Sam Murai

Agreed on all fronts. I wish these were official and in general have more merchandise from anime properties that can fit just fine like these.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
It looks like they have a strong point with their complaint. However, I do say those hoodies look mighty fine and ingenious in their design implementation. They also look very natural, as they could easily pass for something you would normally see in an apparel store. I wonder if Saban is also kicking themselves for not thinking up something like this sooner.

Too bad sooooo many North American companies really fail in this area. The Japanese have made some very attractive and fashionable articles of clothing based around anime properties, too bad barely anyone here has taken any clues…

well american companies are just to damn lazy in this day/age. J-list has seems to have pick up on some clues for anime t-shirts that I have bought from them "warning electric shock misaka" but i am not sure of the legality of them. There are so many people with free time on their hands doing fan translations for games as well oh yeah there is huge market, problem is no wants to dive in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I wonder of the fault lies with him making a website an individual business for them.

You see TONS of people doing similar things for sale on DeviantArt, Tumblr, Esty, and Live Journal as an 'under the table' kind of thing. If Saban kept on the down low, I'm sure they wouldn't have been sued.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Used to be a fan of Power Rangers, ahh childhood nostalgia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:
can they really do that, i mean it isnt Power rangder hoodie and its just a pattern. No logos or anything.

Really? It's clear as day what it's supposed to be. Copyright holders are full in their rights to do this any more than Nintendo has a right to go after a logo involving a fat Italian guy in red and blue overalls with an M on his cap.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
blaizevincent wrote:

Really? It's clear as day what it's supposed to be. Copyright holders are full in their rights to do this any more than Nintendo has a right to go after a logo involving a fat Italian guy in red and blue overalls with an M on his cap.

all they have to do is switch that m to a w and make him a Irish catholic drunk, then they aren't breaking any laws. It's all a matter of taking an idea then changing it around bit, that's what fair use is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
"This guy should just settle out of court".

Coming off the heels of a similar case Louis Vuitton just tried, Saban should be the one settling for the absurdity of the case.

Louis Vuitton aside, Saban's case has merit. The defendant in this case can't call what he did fair use.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2