• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hunter x Hunter Manga's Longest Uninterrupted Run to End

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeris2001x2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:34 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I am glad someone pointed this out, his volume forms always have good art, he goes back and redraws it, the crappy art is only for weekly releases.

And the reason they tolerate it, is because HXH is one of the best shonen titles of all time, the depth, story, and characters make things like Naruto and Bleach embarrassing to compare to.

Honestly as many people complain what crap naruto and bleach turned into, why would you want these guys to work nonstop.

Naruto is highly under rated. I don't know whether Narutards (kids who think it's the best thing ever, which it is not) are so annoying it stops so called reasoned anime fans seeing it's merits, but Naruto is a good show.

I love Hunter X Hunter and it certainly had the potential to easily surpass Naruto, but it's been in a woefully unfinished state for so many years. Also it is untrue that Naruto is embarrassing next to Hunter X Hunter. The story, characters and depth are of a comparable level, and Naruto has the added bonus of better fights and significantly more emotional resonance.

Emotional resonance is key to any show. Care about the characters and what's going on and the show hit's great heights. One Piece and Naruto have those in spades. Hunter X Hunter yes but less so. Bleach almost zero.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I love Hunter X Hunter and it certainly had the potential to easily surpass Naruto, but it's been in a woefully unfinished state for so many years.

You say this as if Naruto has been in a finished stated, ever. Naruto and HxH are both unfinished stories. HxH just had more hiatus issues but those issues are separate from the story itself and has not caused it to lose much steam. Sure some people are more intolerant than others when it comes to these hiatuses but the story hasn't been canned by the publishers and the volumes keep topping the sales charts.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:08 am Reply with quote
aeris2001x2 wrote:
Naruto is highly under rated. I don't know whether Narutards (kids who think it's the best thing ever, which it is not) are so annoying it stops so called reasoned anime fans seeing it's merits, but Naruto is a good show.

I don't see how it's underrated given it's the second best selling manga in Japan.

I think it's just that console fanboy mentality. Legends speak of an ancient, unwritten rule that you can only like 1 big shounen title, and you must put down and bash the other titles every chance you get in other to prove yourself a true fan.

Meanwhile, those of use who aren't 12 can like and enjoy all of them just fine at the same time.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:58 am Reply with quote
The hilarity of these comparisons between Naruto and Hunter X Hunter is just how much Naruto umm... "borrowed" from HxH.
-[Hades]-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Thhyon wrote:
This must be the reason why he always in hiatus

That graph would be accurate for Togashi if he had assistants.........

Also I just signed in..
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
I stopped with HxH long ago...

What really irks me though is that his manga gets a reboot anime and is catching up to where he stopped and yet he goes on another hiatus, leaving the anime no more material to work with while other mangaka (like Akira Amano) work endlessly every week and their animes end and never come back.

If they're going to make an anime adaption of a manga that tends to go on hiatus, they should just wait until the series is finished. I don't want to see more OVAs and reboots of a series that really doesn't deserve it.

Problem is, it does reserve it. Wink
But let's use another quote:

CrownKlown wrote:
I am glad someone pointed this out, his volume forms always have good art, he goes back and redraws it, the crappy art is only for weekly releases.

And the reason they tolerate it, is because HXH is one of the best shonen titles of all time, the depth, story, and characters make things like Naruto and Bleach embarrassing to compare to.

Honestly as many people complain what crap naruto and bleach turned into, why would you want these guys to work nonstop.

I didn't know the Togashi re-draw the manga for the volumes publication... is there a comparision image somewhere, something not-spoilerish? (I only know the story up when the last anime, or better OAVs, stopped.)
Anyway that isn't "crappy art", but pretty much not refined name(s) (not "nemu", they are called "name").

Unfortunately, as much as Naruto had a great start and really good story arcs in the beginning and before the time-skip, generally, I must agree on it becoming worse later. At first I liked Naruto more than HxH, but I bet that, once both series will be concluded, HxH will be the best one.

I don't really care about Bleach, anyway I don't think it is up there either, in quality, despite the good first arc (and I like some characters from it, too).
Furthermore, Kubo's manga looks like name(s) to me, but in story too, not only in drawings. Razz
Still cool, but a bit on the empty side of "coolness". Too bad, because I really enjoyed the whole Ichigo/Rukya/Ranji situation and the story around them at the beginning. Sad

Anyway, One Piece is the best so far, hands down (many hands down)... I didn't like it at first, though, if someone is wondering why people consider OP so good, yet the first volumes give them a bad impression... not trust your first impression with One Piece and give it around 10-12 volumes to develop, it's worth it and you will later not only appreciate the first part of the manga, but even beg for more! I read 50 volumes in two months, a personal record (and I'm a bit ashamed thinking that it took Oda around 10 years to write and draw them Embarassed ).

Among ongoing shounen I'm loving Bakuman, too. It deserves more popularity, if not for anything else at least for dealing with an interesting topic and being pretty original.

Finally, even if it isn't a shounen, I read some comments about Berserk in this thread and I wanted to give a different opinion on it... I still like Berserk, but even Miura got a bit repetitive regarding the themes of his manga (like Kishimoto did with Naruto), and in many later chapters (I read up to around volume 35, I should check to be sure, but around there) nothing really happens other than glorifying Grifis and showing a depressed Gatsu. Mad
And when something happens, it takes chapters and chapters of panels to develop. The art is good, but a manga is about telling a story, not about showing how good you are at drawing. -__-'
So, not call Miura a master of his craft yet, when there are authors like Mitsuru Adachi, out there, who really are Mangaka with a capital "M", and most of their manga aren't even published in the USA. Rolling Eyes
Even an important manga like Glass no Kamen (a shoujo, but since someone threw in a seinen...), as I recently discovered, isn't out in the States yet... Shocked
People, get your priorities straight! (And, if you really want to know manga, start with Osamu Tezuka's ones. He was called the "god of manga" for a reason. Wink )

Ops, sorry for the long rant-like comment, but I got carried away... ^^'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Magna_Lilly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Viz Media published the 27th volume in North America this month.

... No, I'm pretty sure 27 has been out for, what, a year? Unless the one on my bookshelf came from the future Shocked
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
@ Sariachan - I have seen a same page direct comparison of the graphic novel art with the magazine art, and the magazine art is just sketches. I think I saw it on this forum, but for the life of me I can't remember where.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:

What really irks me though is that his manga gets a reboot anime and is catching up to where he stopped and yet he goes on another hiatus, leaving the anime no more material to work with while other mangaka (like Akira Amano) work endlessly every week and their animes end and never come back.

If they're going to make an anime adaption of a manga that tends to go on hiatus, they should just wait until the series is finished. I don't want to see more OVAs and reboots of a series that really doesn't deserve it.

Problem is, it does reserve it. Wink

Compared to other hardworking mangaka who work week after week with no hiatuses? No, it doesn't.

I'm not talking about the material within the manga, I'm talking about how he continues the manga in general.

I may not like Bleach or Naruto or One Piece, but at least I can acknowledge their hard work every week in order to give the anime more material to work with. However, rebooting an anime from a manga that is known to take hiatus after hiatus is something I can't swallow, sorry.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Compared to other hardworking mangaka who work week after week with no hiatuses? No, it doesn't.

This assumes you know what he uses is hiatuses for. The only reasons I've heard have been an illness, honeymoon, and redrawing volumes of HxH. All three of those would require some serious "work".
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
@ Sariachan - I have seen a same page direct comparison of the graphic novel art with the magazine art, and the magazine art is just sketches. I think I saw it on this forum, but for the life of me I can't remember where.

Don't worry, I'll try to search for them myself. Thanks anyway. Smile

@Kazemon15: if a manga has a story and characters good enough to still have so many affectionate readers even with all these interruptions, then it deserves even a reboot anime.
Not all people can manage to keep up with weekly publications times and schedules (for several reasons, from illness to family matters), but at the end what really matters is the quality of the manga, which is what will remain in the end. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
lulz0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
You know, the writers for Bleach and Naruto have run uninterrupted. Would you all rather have manga like that?
Sakura_Fay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:11 am Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:

They're on volume five of the manga. There's over thirty volumes of material written now. It's not catching up any time soon. You can start to worry if he's not writing again and the anime is in the Ant Arc (which is around 15 volumes long... so even at the beginning, it's not too much to worry about).

10/10/2012 Togashi and no trace....
I hope you come back soon : (
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4