• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Off Anime OVA Details, Promotional Video Revealed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Honda?

Well, I'll give it a shot for music and scenery if nothing else. I kind of wish that these type of shows would graduate from the "high schoolers in small japanese towns" -settings. Needs more another world, historic and utopistic views.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Then they would no longer be "these type of shows".
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Aria and Ikoku Meiro no Croisee disagree.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
And those types of shows are not the same type of show this article is about.
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't know. Seems to be a feel-good/slice-of-life type anime to me. Unless the PV is purposefully trolling its viewers.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
This is where you want me to silently agree that Aria and Ikoku Meiro no Croisee SOL anime and that they represent the same kind of show One Off is. No.

Transplanting One Off into some Aryan Wonderland would change the kind of show it is and make it focus on the "slice of life" found in a foreign/made up society. That would defeat the purpose of this particular show and any future show wanting to depict life as a Japanese teen in Japanese society.
naninanino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Transplanting One Off into some Aryan Wonderland would change the kind of show it is and make it focus on the "slice of life" found in a foreign/made up society.

Um. What is so different about focusing on the slice of life in a made up society, foreign society and a Japanese society. It is just a superficial difference. There are no obstacles for any of those to share the same thematic content and aesthetic values. This is not going to be some full-blown anime about social criticism towards Japanese society, or at least that is what I'm putting my money on.

I don't mean that it is going to have the same story as Aria or Ikoku Meiro no Croisee, not even Tamayura, but the values they represent are not undetachable from their world view. If you think that the show wants to tell you a story about a young Japanese girl traveling and searching for herself (guessing here), instead of a young person traveling and searching for oneself, then I say that you're just splitting hairs.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I have a funny feeling this was sponsored by Honda. Anyone else get that feeling? Razz

I like the way the steam from the cup was animated...otherwise all I could tell about "One Off" (what kind of title is that?) is a girl riding a vehicle. The vehicle was probably designed by Honda. Not quite sure. Rolling Eyes

Maybe in the actual show the "encounter that changes her" will be with a Yamazaki or a Harley Davidson vehicle! Twisted Evil
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
I don't think her skirt is short enough Rolling Eyes
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
Honda?

Well, I'll give it a shot for music and scenery if nothing else. I kind of wish that these type of shows would graduate from the "high schoolers in small japanese towns" -settings. Needs more another world, historic and utopistic views.

Same here.

My kingdom for a departure - even a partial one - from the highschooler age bracket and small, rural town setting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1