• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Podcast of 1000 Questions with Jason Thompson

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
"Naruto and Bleach feel like they are down"

Really? Late 2011, the chapters of Naruto brought something pretty awesome which I can't spoil. Even the guys from the anime of Naruto Shippuden are planning something for the series' 10th anniversary across Japan which ANN mentioned some time ago.

And what about the other Shonen Jump series like Hunter X Hunter, Bakuman or D.Gray-man?
Nanoob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
You know?
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh noes! Jason has revealed the existence of alibris! My secret ally in finding manga! Also a heads up for anyone who wants to use alibris, in their "advanced search", if you enter in the ISBNs, it can find the cheapest bundle for ya! Saves me so much time searching. Don't forget about factoring in shipping btw, for cheaper older manga, the shipping will probably cost your 3 times as much overall as the books themselves (usually because they're 99 cent books)
I also like how they take paypal too!

Lol, now I need to look over my alibris orders to see all the stuff I've bought, I feel like I keep getting stuff here and there all the time off there: Speed Racer, Art of Oban Star Racers, Cipher 2, Seiho Boys' High 1, 2, Karakuri Odette, 4, 5, Love Song, Crossroad 4-7, Hotel Africa 2, Fruits Basket 1-8, Sanctuary 6, 8, 9, MBQ 1, Adolf 2-4 (lot of good that does me now, also I ordered 5 like three times there and every time the seller ended up not having it, got a refund though), Ichigenme 1, 2, Chrono Crusade 6, 8, Utahime, The Art of Osamu Tezuka, What's Michael? (I dunno, some various volumes).
I've been using it to fill in some older gaps and whatnot lately.
xScar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Nanoob wrote:
You know?

Like yeah, ya know.

If Togashi didn't continually take breaks, Hunter x Hunter would definitely take a spot at #2, behind One Piece (especially now that there's a new anime too). Even with these hiatuses, the volumes still sell more than Naruto or Bleach whenever they come out.

I never found alibris too helpful, actually. Usually, the same exact results will be either on eBay or Amazon :\ Of course, there's only been a few OOP series I've attempted to snag -- Adolf, Sanctuary, some LW&C, etc. -- so maybe I haven't given it enough usage.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
Even with these hiatuses, the volumes still sell more than Naruto or Bleach whenever they come out.

Not from the numbers I see.

Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Volume in 2011
1. One Piece
2. Naruto
3. Kimi ni Todoke
4. Fullmetal Alchemist
5. Hunter x Hunter

I think the reason they feel 'down down down' is because of the sheer popularity difference. The more popular something is, the more haters it seems to attract, and One Piece has never been as big in the west so it's not as cool to hate on it. Haters are easier to spot when there's more of them numerically. Especially people who don't really like anime and just see them on TV flicking the channel and bash them, but don't know what One Peice is.

Speaking of doujinshi, there are sites that catalog it, similar to MyAnimeList. They list where it was originally sold (which Comiket, or which online distributor like DLsite) and stuff. Interesting database. I definitely try to collect doujinshi for series I like.
xScar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:13 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
xScar wrote:
Even with these hiatuses, the volumes still sell more than Naruto or Bleach whenever they come out.

Not from the numbers I see.

Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Volume in 2011
1. One Piece
2. Naruto
3. Kimi ni Todoke
4. Fullmetal Alchemist
5. Hunter x Hunter

Because Hunter x Hunter had 2 volumes come out in 2011, while the rest had 4-5.

But it seems that I am slightly mistaken anyway. When volume 29 came out in August, it did indeed sell more than Bleach, but sold slightly less than Naruto. I still think that's fantastic for a series with such constant breaks and probably averages a volume a year -- hell, there wasn't even a single volume released in 2010.

Edit: I now see that that list is an average of the volume sales. Still, an average between 4-5 volumes against only 2 will still give better numbers :S
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Because Hunter x Hunter had 2 volumes come out in 2011, while the rest had 4-5.

That's why I listed per volume rather than per series. It just looks at how much each individual volume sells. If you think about it, it'd be worse for Naruto since fans have to have enough money to buy 6+ volumes a year while HxH only have to buy 1 or 2, heh.
Nanoob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
Edit: I now see that that list is an average of the volume sales. Still, an average between 4-5 volumes against only 2 will still give better numbers :S

Only if one volume tanked, bud.
Rakkan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:49 am Reply with quote
The manga Yasuhiro Imagawa has been working is called Bondage Choir. It has art by Nekoi Mie.

Edit: Amazon Japan can be NSFW sometimes so caution is advised. http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4840140553/
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote
This is a bit of question geared towards Jason since I missed my chance, You might have known recently that Master Negi or Negima has ended after it's 8/9 year run and a lot of fans are not happy with the ending... what about you?? In all honesty I am just happy ken wrote what he felt like writing and didn't succumb to fan level pleasing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
Great interview, with lots of interesting tid-bits.

What was the "Kindle manga magazine" that Jason mentioned? "Comic Loud"? amazon.com or amazon.co.jp (I couldn't find it either place under the name "Comic Loud", anyway).
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Jason summed up my view on Rumiko Takahashi pretty accurately. Her glory days are well past. When Viz announced the simultaneous release of Rinne, the first thing I thought was "Good idea, but why aren't you doing this with Bleach and Naruto, then you might actually make some money from it?!" I do not know of anyone who reads or cares about Rinne. Even my local comic shop doesn't bother stocking it.

Edit: 1,866 people have listed it on MyAnimeList. Compared with 70,035 who have listed the Naruto manga and 65,344 who have listed the Bleach manga >.>
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
"Everything that makes Asuka who she is is ruined by changing her last name! And it means I'll have to rewrite all of my Asuka fanfic!"

"Sir, you Asuka fanfic was self-serving, and filled with sex!"

"Who are *you*, to tell me what fanfic I can, or can't write?!"

"Sir, nobody wants to read your crappy Asuka fanfic!"

"I always knew that you were a god-damned Rei shipper!"

--Hitler hears about Rebuild of Evangelion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll2nQ-C6TL4

"If there's a guy out there who owns every single piece of Eva doujinshi, he has a very large house" -- great quote Zac.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
"If there's a guy out there who owns every single piece of Eva doujinshi, he has a very large house" -- great quote Zac.

Considering that there were new ones coming out each year (in large numbers) even BEFORE the rebuild movies, I'd say if anyone owned them all, they have a pretty large WAREhouse at this point. Seriously, the things must've been enough to fill at least a pallet (each Comiket) back when it was THE show, and that was back in the mid 90s.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
_V_ wrote:

Considering that there were new ones coming out each year (in large numbers) even BEFORE the rebuild movies, I'd say if anyone owned them all, they have a pretty large WAREhouse at this point. Seriously, the things must've been enough to fill at least a pallet (each Comiket) back when it was THE show, and that was back in the mid 90s.

well there is another way via digital storage but hell that's over 500gigs now
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3