• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio AIC Makes New Student Council's Discretion Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Watching a generic harem show with a ridiculously contrived premise is fun?

God, anime fandom doesn't have standards anymore.

Well, I wouldn't really call Seitokai no Ichizon a generic harem show. Yes, the main character is surrounded by girls, and he wants them to be his harem, but they're not really all that interested in him, and the focus is entirely on the comedy. This is not one of those shows where a loser guy is surrounded by a bunch of girls who are all really interested in him for some reason. Rather, it's about a guy who puts himself in a situation where he's surrounded by girls and then wants to them to be interested in him, but they're not. It's chock-full of anime references, makes fun of all kinds of tropes and the like, and is generally very funny. But it's rather light on plot and romance.

So yes, this is technically a harem show in that the main character is a guy surrounded by girls, but if he's ever going to actually get any of the girls interested in him, he's going to have to work at it (and his personality definitely works against him there). It's not about a bunch of girls interested in a complete loser.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, I wouldn't really call Seitokai no Ichizon a generic harem show. Yes, the main character is surrounded by girls, and he wants them to be his harem, but they're not really all that interested in him, and the focus is entirely on the comedy. This is not one of those shows where a loser guy is surrounded by a bunch of girls who are all really interested in him for some reason. Rather, it's about a guy who puts himself in a situation where he's surrounded by girls and then wants to them to be interested in him, but they're not. It's chock-full of anime references, makes fun of all kinds of tropes and the like, and is generally very funny. But it's rather light on plot and romance.

Everytime I see fans explain their favorite shows like this, I can't take their word for it.

It just seems like you're trying too hard to justify this show to me. The whole "But it's totally about something else!" argument doesn't work, people.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Everytime I see fans explain their favorite shows like this, I can't take their word for it.

It just seems like you're trying too hard to justify this show to me. The whole "But it's totally about something else!" argument doesn't work, people.

Is "Seitokai no Ichizon 2 is preventing Cowboy Bebop 2 from being made" what you want to hear? In every age in, in every place, there have been anime people despise and think is killing the industry. But you know what? Anime goes on and good stuff is still made along with the bad and mediocre. I doubt SnI is even his favorite show, but he's defending it from a pointless and baseless attack.
superdry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

What Kalessin is pretty much spot on and it's not even a justification of anything, but expanding upon the plot. Well, the most generic blurb in the article.

One of the main attractions of the show is all the anime references and commonly breaking the fourth wall in pretty much every episode. The harem aspect is just one part of the comedy.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
All I can say is lol mainstream titles

Oh look, another person who thinks that "popular = bad"

Pretty sure I never said that mainstream was bad. There are definitely a few popular titles that do deserve merit like Ghost in the Shell, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, Azumanga Daioh, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Card Captor Sakura, Sailor Moon, Legend of the Galactic Heroes (not sure if you can count this as mainstream), etc... I was simply referring to how you only mentioned mainstream titles, thus a narrow comparison.

Quote:
I prefer waiting for official releases. And I mean physical releases, not just streaming.

Well at the rate the market is going, physical releases could very well disappear in a few years in the western market as everything gradually goes digital. Not to mention that there are titles that may very well never see the light of day in the US despite being good. And even if they do, chances are by the time it is released, it will have been ages ago when it aired.

Quote:
Watching a generic harem show with a ridiculously contrived premise is fun?

School Days would like a word with you. Laughing

Quote:

To be honest, I don't think anyone is trying to justify this show to you let alone recommend it given how unreceptive you are at the moment. Everyone is simply expressing their views on this show and you're just deciding to shoot down the genre entirely to the point where you think the non-existence of such shows is a just cause. Furthermore, you don't even give these titles a chance. Sure, you may not have the patience for it, but I don't see how you have a justified stance then in saying that the genre or stereotype is bad for the industry. Some of us watch these type of shows and enjoy it, while others, like me, watch every show that comes out anyways (including shounen-ai and shoujo-ai), and then there are others like you who are genre specific.

Heck if I really wanted to I could make vast and endless arguments of why shows like Basquash!, Yosuga no Sora, Kannazuki no Miko are masterpiece titles in their own right while titles like Lucky Star, Death Note, and Clannad ~After Story~ are not. The vast majority would likely disagree with me, but at the end of the day it's all a matter of opinion.

Quote:
Anime goes on and good stuff is still made along with the bad and mediocre.

I'd like to add that if everything were good, anime would be stale as old bread and we would be having a similar argument now about why the industry can't make anything new. In essence, there has to be some "bad" or mediocre titles among each season. Whether one watches it is up to one's preferences and should not be influenced by criticism.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

The "I don't like it and therefore anyone who does has no standards" argument doesn't work either.

Relax. Just because some one likes something you don't doesn't invalidate your opinion or decrease your value as a person. You don't need to overcompensate by insisting that your tastes are super refined or whatever.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
May I ask why you bother engaging in conversations with people when you won't believe what they say? I mean, if the words coming out of the other person's keyboard aren't credible and worth considering, aren't you essentially holding a conversation with yourself?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Okay, fine, Superdry's description ALMOST makes me want to watch this.

Is the main lead the stereotypical bland lead that exists only as a conduit for the viewer to insert themselves into? The near-ubiquity of those kinds of MCs are part of the reason why I rarely watch harems.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
MC is a huge pervert who makes no secret of his desire to form a harem with the female cast. He does have admirable qualities, though. Student Council meetings are often them just sitting around and goofing off. In order to make it so that the girls can go on having fun like that every day, he takes on most of the student council work load himself.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Ah, fine. I remember, I actually saw a video of this a few months ago, thought it was interesting.

Also, I find it hilarious that....this is like the second hit on Youtube for "Seitokai No Ichizon.

spoiler[....I would be lying if I said that I wasn't disappointed that scene never actually happened in-story >_>]
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

I was drawn to anime because I like animation and it has generally been the best source for animation that reaches beyond comedy. I don't like harem series, moe or ecchi and sometimes don't even respect them, but I'm quite content to stay away and leave those be. A few decades of animation and even what is now airing in Japan supply enough for my interests, which tend to, but sometimes don't, include at least some depth of thought and characterization. Should I really just get the Hell out because of that?

My answer is obviously, "no." I don't think that there need to be any others.

I find this paragraph to be highly insulting though I'm not quite sure how to express it. Something about comedy being cheaper and easier than pain and drama. Or perhaps it's trying to generalize a selling point as a genre. Maybe it's the "Go wallow in your cheap, sick joys, I'm so better than this" attitude.

Ok, it's probably all of them.

"Some depth of thought and characterization."
Do you even watch these shows? Well, you said didn't so I guess I should enlighten you that there are in fact moe harem ecchi perverted affronts to you that have plot, drama and action, as well as breasts, panty shots and comedy. There have been advances in the technology of selling out, somehow.

Ah, I forget to add my question on the show. So, is this going to be season 2 or is it going to be a reboot/readaptation? I know comedy reboot seems strange but...
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Ah... I was coming into this thread, somehow equating "Student Council's Discretion/Seitokai no Ichizon" with "Seitokai Yakuindomo." (What is the translation of "Yakuindomo," anyway?) And that assumption stayed that way, until I got far enough in skimming/reading the posts (passing over Blood-'s for some reason) to read that the MC was wanting a harem in the first anime, and I knew something was off, and so I checked the main article again. (Don't know why I ignored the article's header image to begin with, either...)

Sorry, gonna be sad-faced right now, brb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I get the two confused all the time, and in fact I think I'm mixing the two together, so you're not alone American14. It didn't help that they came out like in consecutive seasons.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Ah, I forget to add my question on the show. So, is this going to be season 2 or is it going to be a reboot/readaptation? I know comedy reboot seems strange but...

I would think it's going to be a season 2. Since there's no plot to speak of there's not much ground that would need recovering anyways.

Even if it is a retread I imagine they'll atleast update the jokes like they did in the first episode when they made that Higurashi reference and pointed out that Umineko was the current in thing.

Animerican14 wrote:
(What is the translation of "Yakuindomo," anyway?)

Staff Members.

I'll often mistake Shinrei Tantei Yakumo as Seitokai Yakuindomo myself Laughing
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
The comedy revolves around Ken Sugisaki, a boy who becomes part of the student council of his private high school. He is the only boy on the council, where he is surrounded by cute girls.

Why does shit like this still sell

Why

Obviously spouting off without watching it. Why do you shit on other people's choices? Isn't it hypocritical to do so when someone can just as well call you out on your BL proclivities, catching your interest for the same superficial reasons? Your value judgements is not in any way superior to others.

Chagen46 wrote:

Then don't take their word for it. But don't make any judgements until you know something more about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3