• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
Just wondering (question to US-members in general), isn't it weird to live in such a big country that you cannot visit other countries without traveling for thousands of miles?
Living in Seattle, I am a 2 1/2 hr drive from Canada. Though a lot of people don't really count that as another country Anime hyper
I've been to a lot of different states and lived in Canada for awhile, but besides that I've only ever been out of the country once. Going to another country, even Canada, is a big deal around here.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
The unique thing about the US is that we have states, and each one is different. They aren't are all vastly different, but they are unique. So even though it's not the same as a country to country comparison, I think the states make up for it a little bit.

And hell, the US is such a huge melting pot that it's not hard to go somewhere within the country (or even your own state sometimes) and get a taste of another country. I used to live in area that was just like a little piece of Mexico since that's where 99.9% of the residents were from and there were many Mexican traditions I was opened up to. There were all kinds of shops that people set up outside their houses, I had food I'd never heard of when I visited friends, there were cock fights and illegal fireworks...You know, culture!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
@ Blood-...Just wondering (question to US-members in general), isn't it weird to live in such a big country that you cannot visit other countries without traveling for thousands of miles?

Spare a thought for us in Australia. We have to fly for hours across oceans to visit the nearest country.

Old joke

Q: Have you been overseas?
A: Yes. Tasmania.

A former Prime Minister (Paul Keating) described Australia as being at the "arse end of the world".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:33 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
Just wondering (question to US-members in general), isn't it weird to live in such a big country that you cannot visit other countries without traveling for thousands of miles?

It doesn't seem weird if you grew up here, since it's just what we're used to. Even though I've been to Canada many times (as Tris8 said, Seattle is a short drive away from BC) and I've lived in Mexico, I didn't get a chance to leave North America until I was in my early 30s.

But like TKOH mentioned, there's a lot of variation in culture, landscape, climate, and even language between states. I like to travel, but even I haven't seen most of the US yet. Someday I'll have to start using my vacations to visit some of the parts of the US I've never seen.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:59 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
A former Prime Minister (Paul Keating) described Australia as being at the "arse end of the world".

And yet New Zealand is even more remote. We suffer high shipping costs for items we import, and endure long flights just to get to our nearest neighbours let alone Europe or North America.

But it isn't all bad. We are the only first-world country that is likely to survive a nuclear apocalypse, so there's that. Every Kiwi has a shotgun under the bed and No. 8 wire garottes for when the mutant Aussie survivors inevitably leave the smoking remains of Sydney, Newcastle and Brisbane and sail over here looking to eat our precious sheep and apples.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:28 am Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
Actually, I believe our relationship with Germany is quite good.

*sigh*

My attempt to foster German-Dutch animosity has ended in abject failure. Thanks, A Mystery, you tulip-hugging, dike-plugging, wooden shoe-wearing, windmill-tilting peacenik!* Wink

*my apologies if I inadvertently overlooked a national cliché.
nikolai180393

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:28 am Reply with quote
In the UK you are close to many countries, if you can really class them as other countries.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:06 am Reply with quote
nikolai180393 wrote:
In the UK you are close to many countries, if you can really class them as other countries.

I thought you guys did (consider them other countries). I mean, Britain didn't join the Euro, and I doubt you would consider the troubled group of Greece, Italy and Spain and Ireland to be the same people as yourselves. Not to mention the Eastern Europeans . . . . . .

But yeah, you are close in terms of physical distance. The distance between Auckland and Sydney is about the same as the distance between England and Italy, which means you have plenty of cheap holiday options that New Zealanders do not.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:38 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
But it isn't all bad. We are the only first-world country that is likely to survive a nuclear apocalypse, so there's that. Every Kiwi has a shotgun under the bed and No. 8 wire garottes for when the mutant Aussie survivors inevitably leave the smoking remains of Sydney, Newcastle and Brisbane and sail over here looking to eat our precious sheep and apples.

Guess I better change my zombie plan then, lord knows that I am not going to Papau New Gunie, I've played Dead Island.

I remember seeing a particular joke done by an english comedian about Australia, of traveling for ages on the road, and being shocked to see how few distance you went. We don't really even have much different cultures unique to states, though Sydney does have a surprisingly large amount of cultures.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
nikolai180393 wrote:

Crying or Very sad We don't count...

@ Blood-: Well done Wink! I should try wooden shoes on someday, I don't believe I've ever worn them.

This year I'll go to Italy, passing Germany and Switzerland/Austria on my way. Just one night of driving and we're in pizza paradise.
I feel for all of you living down under.

It's fun to read all the responses Smile.
Dr. Otacon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote
Name: I don't like giving out my real name on websites, so let's just go with Otacon. I look enough like him anyway haha.

Sex: Male

Blood Type: A

Marital Status: In a Relationship

Ethnicity: White. I'm French, Dutch, British, Yugoslavian, German, Scottish and Irish.

Religion: I was Lutheran, now I'm Catholic (during my dad's second marriage I was converted) but I just prefer to identify as Christian.

Pets: a Black Lab

Drink/Smoke: drink yes, smoke very very rarely. I own a tobacco pipe though it was largely for the look and a Hugh Hefner costume a couple years ago.

Likes: Anime, Manga, History, video games, music, podcasts, reading, writing, long discussions about history, teaching.

Dislikes: bigots, the entire GameFAQS boards, elitists

Favorite anime: Lupin III (red Jacket Lupin and pretty much all the movies), Black Lagoon, Rurouni Kenshin, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Coyote Ragtime Show, Cowboy Bebop, Whisper of the Heart, Proco Rosso.

Favorite Manga (Light novels): Team Medical Dragon

Favorite Books: The Redwall series, The Dirk Pitt series, The Lies of Locke Lamora, Red Seas Under Red Skies, The Bourne Trilogy.

Favorite game: Final Fantasy IV VI VIII X and XII, Sonic the Hedgehog 1 2 and 3, Assassin's Creed series, Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past.

Favorite TV shows/Movies: House, That 70s Show, The Walking Dead, Star Trek (original and TNG), The original Star Wars Trilogy, How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, The Lord of the Rings, Galaxy Quest.

Favorite Drink: Rum and Coke, Cazadores Anjeo Tequila, Heineken

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Dr. Pepper, Orange Soda.

Favorite Foods: Pizza, pasta, sushi, fried rice, meatloaf.

Favorite Sites: Least I Could Do, The S-Words Podcast, Twitter

Favorite Sport (to watch): Don't really have one.

Favorite Sport (to play): Don't have one.

Favorite Music: I listen to just about everything.

Job: History Teacher

Hobbies: (see my likes)

Fun facts about Dr. Otacon: I had open heart surgery at two days old and as such have a scar down the center of my chest. One of my legs is shorter than the other. I can speak some Japanese (I knew more, but ever since leaving college my knowledge of the language is hemoraging.

Favorite Quotes:"Why lie, the truth it more fun."
- Mark Campise
"O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous."
- Voltaire
"Life's all about figuring out how dumb you can be."
- Arsene Lupin III
"Beware the fury of a patient man."
- John Dryden
"Take command of your destiny, and karma will conspire to help you along the way."
- Tucker Max
"Why, I can smile, and murder while I smile,
And cry, ‘Content,’ to that which grieves my heart,
And wet my cheeks with artificial tears,
And frame my face to all occasions."
- Act III, Scene II, King Henry VI
“Life is a game; and if you’re not having fun you’re doing it wrong.”
-Jack Angel
“My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know.”
-Sherlock Holmes
“The one thing you must never let yourself forget: The story is always on the street.”
-Spider Jerusalem
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
-Sherlock Holmes
nikolai180393

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:20 am Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
Crying or Very sad We don't count...

Why don't you count?
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm some guy that does 'artsy' stuff like illustration, philosophy, music, 'creative'/introspective writing, photography, and all that jazz (order does not correlate with respective values); I'm an aesthete pending on my state of self-loathing (or lack thereof). I think parenthetically, so I'll present you all with a Salinger-esque "bouquet of parentheses" with a little note reading: "Be forewarned!". Introductions are overrated, and I'm hardly the best judge of myself so let's have done with this schizophrenic thing already.
Masakaki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
[edit]

Last edited by Masakaki on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:23 am; edited 204 times in total
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:34 am Reply with quote
From where I live (South England), France is closer than Scotland, so I wouldn't just bundle the whole UK as a single place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 141 of 233