• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Twin Spica going out of print

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
According to Vertical's Facebook site, Twin Spica will be the first title to go out of print due to poor sales (yet excellent reviews).

So if you've been waiting to read this very good, emotional series about a young girl's dreams to become an astronaut, I urge you to go out and get it now!
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the warning. This goes on my to-buy list.
-Ushio-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
It's an amazing series and I enjoyed it through to the end, shame it didn't really find its audience. I really respect Vertical for sticking with it to the end though - your readers appreciate it! Very Happy
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
That's sad to hear. I was buying these as they came out. I'm really glad to have them, they're way worth it.

Now to purchase 10 Billion Needles before it starts going OOP.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Sad to hear but not surprised to know. Titles similar to it are hard to sell, especially in North America, where manga is still way behind anime in general acceptance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:

No need to worry there. Needles is in its third printing, despite no one having heard of it even in Japan before we licensed it.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
-Ushio- wrote:
I really respect Vertical for sticking with it to the end though - your readers appreciate it! Very Happy

Thanks!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
That's understandable, but unfortunate. I had been curious about this series and my preliminary guess was leaning toward, "yes," but hadn't really looked at it closely. I guess that I assumed that I had more time. Even hurrying up and deciding that I want it might do me no good since, well, the moment is not propitious, which is a damned shame.

It's a very fine thing that the publisher saw it through to the end.

willag wrote:

Now that you're down from your earlier estimate, you're almost there. It is in fact 7 Billion Needles.

Provided that you're not looking for an acupuncture manga, which probably exists somewhere, I recommend it. It's a very good story that goes into some strange, slightly confusingly abstract places, but keeps its grand scale events in balance with a very genuine human story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Even hurrying up and deciding that I want it might do me no good since, well, the moment is not propitious, which is a damned shame.

Well that is up to you. But I think people are saying their goodbyes a little prematurely. While the series will not be reprint there should've enough stock for the rest of the year. Plenty of time to not only finish collecting the series but also start it.

I'll make sure to let people know when books are actually OOP though (as I also make mention of reprints on the vertical twitter @vertical_ed ).
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:09 am Reply with quote
Aw, just when I got to write about it for Dutch anime/manga magazine AniWay. Asumi even got a little spot on the cover. Let's hope this will give the sales of the leftovers a little boost :D
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:00 am Reply with quote
^Glad you have informed people of its existence, pretty cool that you write for a magazine.

But yes, to fit with the stars motif, it feels like a shining star of the American manga market is going out before its time.

Still, there are no words to describe my gratitude to Vertical for seeing this through to end (and getting it in the first place)
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:13 am Reply with quote
@Vertical_Ed - Thanks for informing me. Also, thanks for finishing this wonderful series. I would have been extremely saddened not to have finished this gem. Your company is definitely one of the best on the market. I've always been pleased with my purchases from you.

Surrender Artist wrote:
willag wrote:

Now that you're down from your earlier estimate, you're almost there. It is in fact 7 Billion Needles.

Shh, you shouldn't have alerted me of that - half of the fun is laughing behind the person's back each time he/she gets it wrong. Wink Also, it would have been fun doing a statistical analysis on the data to see what the mean and standard deviation of the numbers were. But two data points ain't worth it.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
^Glad you have informed people of its existence, pretty cool that you write for a magazine.

I'm just glad I got my chance before Twin Spica fell victim to the OOP-rule. Maybe I should have pitched it earlier, but I thought it would be better to wait until the series was completely available (this issue was released in the same week as volume 12). I recommended it to friends before and they responded with mock complaints like 'How could you do this to me? Waiting for the next volume is torture!' Smile

BTW Most of the Dutch reactions to the cover/art I heard were along the lines of 'cute', 'sweet' and even 'nostalgic'. Makes me wonder how a Dutch edition would do...
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
Well that is up to you. But I think people are saying their goodbyes a little prematurely. While the series will not be reprint there should've enough stock for the rest of the year. Plenty of time to not only finish collecting the series but also start it. .

Don't mind me; I'm a gloomy person by nature. If there's most of the year left, then getting the series should in time prove feasible. I'll keep an eye out for that.

willag wrote:
...Also, it would have been fun doing a statistical analysis on the data to see what the mean and standard deviation of the numbers were. But two data points ain't worth it.

You jest, but once at an internship with a not-for-profit I was working on preparing a legislatively mandated biennial report to the state legislature and while reviewing some earlier reports, including one that had never been submitted, there were pages of 'data analysis' that included charts with only two data and analysis the described them as, "a trend."

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
i'll get onto it, hard to get everything im after already but i'll squeeze it in somehow.

I wish i had more money id spend it all on manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2