• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Twin Spica Manga "Likely" to Go Out of Print in English

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
sounds interesting, sorry that im broke
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Such a great series. I must've cried about a half dozen times reading this (and I still haven't finished it; waiting for my backorder to ship the last volume). Highly recommended for everyone to pick up!
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, me too kyokun. I teared up several times. Especially in the last volume - spoiler[watching Asumi go up into space and then given the opportunity to see earth... it was cathartic, as strange as that sounds.] I definitely recommend picking up this series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see that it sold so poorly. I really liked the series.
xScar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, the covers/art really turned me off from it. I'm sad that a title did so badly for Vertical. Might pick up this to give it a try before it's (regretfully) gone.

I had no idea that sales were this dismal. My high school -- a 200-ish graduating class high school in the middle of Georgia -- had volumes of it in its library. I was totally shocked when I saw it there a year or two ago, making me think it was actually doing decently well along with all the glorious reviews of it I was seeing.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
See people?

This is what happens when all you buy is shitty fanservice harem manga. The good stuff gets shafted in the end.
xScar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
See people?

This is what happens when all you buy is shitty fanservice harem manga. The good stuff gets shafted in the end.

This is totally...wrong.

People buying fanservice manga has nothing to do with this selling poorly. People who like stuff like that would never want to read, yet alone buy, Twin Spica. :\
gerbilx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
And then I bought all of the volumes.
Kohii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
See people?

I buy some shitty fanservice harem manga (Omamori Himari), but I also re-read 3 or 4 times every volume of Twin Spica that I've ordered.

About the news, all I can say is: What a damn shame!!

You can't judge a book by its cover and that's what a lot of people here did (I'm looking at you XScar *wags finger at XScar).

Thank you Vertical, and I'm sorry sales were so bad. I bought every volume and let some of my friends borrow some of them (one of them even got hooked on the series and bought the first five volumes or so). Thank you for finishing it. I'll be looking forward to "Flowers of Evil" in a little more than a month. That story kicks some much tail.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
I have to say, the covers/art really turned me off from it. I'm sad that a title did so badly for Vertical.

That's really strange, because Vertical said that was a major problem that was noted:

Vertical wrote:
It is very strange, but given how much anime and manga are visual media, I have repeatedly been told that the cover design (same as the Japanese) has been a deterrent.

I personally didn't have a problem with the covers; I thought they were different. What exactly didn't you like about them?
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
xScar wrote:
I have to say, the covers/art really turned me off from it. I'm sad that a title did so badly for Vertical.

That's really strange, because Vertical said that was a major problem that was noted:

Vertical wrote:
It is very strange, but given how much anime and manga are visual media, I have repeatedly been told that the cover design (same as the Japanese) has been a deterrent.

I personally didn't have a problem with the covers; I thought they were different. What exactly didn't you like about them?

It looks like a childrens book, like something you read to your children while they are young before they go to sleep. Not something a grown man should be caught reading on his own.
nottimkai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
[This post has been removed by the original poster, who wishes to apologize for his drunken self pity. He is thoroughly ashamed of the original content of this post ~NTK]

Upon further reflection, in daylight, sober, I had some other things to say.

I stand by the statement that this series deserves better. That is not a statement towards Vertical, which has done a bang-up job releasing Twin Spica, and has done far more than most companies would. For sticking with this series in the face of terrible sales, all the way to the end, Vertical Inc. should be praised. Thank you.

Twin Spica is one of the most depressing things I have ever read. The entire story is so steeped in melancholy that it is hard to believe. Setting that aside, it is one of the most hopeful stories I have read in a long time. Coupled with the non-mainstream, simplistic art style, I could understand why this wasn't a huge hit if I chose to. It is disappointing, though.

Basically, I am glad to have had the ability to read this story all the way through, and I am very sorry to see it leave the market.

We should organize an awareness campaign about this series. Get more people to buy it.

Last edited by nottimkai on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
Well, Vertical said they'll be in print for a while yet, so I think you'll be fine if you wait until things stabilize first.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
It looks like a childrens book, like something you read to your children while they are young before they go to sleep. Not something a grown man should be caught reading on his own.

Yeah, the covers gave me the wrong impression too. Looks different from the anime, which I have not seen yet, but is on my to-watch list. Apparently, they are very aware of it now:
Quote:
Vertical, Inc. We will have more wrap around covers... No Longer Human and Flowers of Evil both feature them. And even vendors, which are as important to sales as readers, say they thought the covers didn't reflect the themes of the title well. Made the title seem like a shojo fantasy instead of a seinen coming of age story.

The news has perked my interest though. I wish there were a omnibus, like Seven Seas tends to do now.

Chagen46 wrote:
See people?

You need to grow up man.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
Thank you, Vertical, for seeing this title through to its end.

Most companies would have just stopped it somewhere around volume 7 due to poor sales, but you didn't and that says a lot about your company and your commitment to your readers.

I bought each one as it was released; the anime is also amazing and I'm just grateful to everyone who worked to bring this manga out in the U.S.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3