• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cowboy Bebop 13 episodes,original plan, or ...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 9:29 am Reply with quote
Original broadcast?

I know that when it was first aired on Japanese TV, only 13 episodes were aired, but I've heard two explanations for this.

The first was that the series was only meant to be 13 episodes long, and was extended to 26 due to its popularity.

The second is that, for wahtever reason, they only decided to air 13 of 26 episodes.

Anyone know which is the true case? And have some source for reference?

-t
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:33 pm Reply with quote
although i'm not certain of the answer, here's a listing of when the episodes aired in japan: http://www.futureblues.com/guide.html

given that most of the cut episodes are violent, socially challenging episodes, one might be lead to assume that was the reason...

and, this site says that it was due to the "immense support" of the fans that allowed "all 26" CB eps to air. that immense support quote appears to have been lifted from cowboybebop.org (which WAS the legit cb website, but it appears to be squatted now.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:45 am Reply with quote
I heard it as some broadcasted on reg broadcast some on Cable only doesnt make send dont know if its true just what i heard.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zerp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:37 pm Reply with quote
What I understood about Bebop was that the raitings were horrible when it first came on and they cancled it. The last episode airing was "Toys In the Attic". Like half a year later it was picked up by a new channel that was just begining and needed cheap programing. Since the series was still in production they went back and changed the next episode preview after "Toys In the Attic" to mock their cancleation.

It was on this station that Bebop completed its first run in its entirty and since it didn't have the time slot of death of 1am it was a hit.

I could be wrong but thats what I've always heard what happend.
cookie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Zerp wrote:
What I understood about Bebop was that the raitings were horrible when it first came on and they cancled it. The last episode airing was "Toys In the Attic". Like half a year later it was picked up by a new channel that was just begining and needed cheap programing. Since the series was still in production they went back and changed the next episode preview after "Toys In the Attic" to mock their cancleation.

There's a few problems with that... namely, that Cowboy Bebop ran 12 episodes, with a 13th about a year later on that original station (TV Tokyo)... "Toys in the Attic" was in the original run, but was not the last broadcast episode (it was "Speak Like a Child")

WOWOW (who rebroadcast CB) was founded in 1991, and had around 2.5 million subscribers in 1999... it certainly wasn't a new channel, nor was it cheap programming by that time.

Quote:
It was on this station that Bebop completed its first run in its entirty and since it didn't have the time slot of death of 1am it was a hit.

There are plenty of successful 1am TV shows in Japan.
Ninja Scroll TV airs midnight on WOWOW.
Stelvia, Last Exile, Dear Boys, and Human Scramble all currently air in the midnight-2am range.

If you really want, I can dig through other historically popular series that aired after midnight in Japan.. but I think you get the picture.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zerp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:07 am Reply with quote
"Stelvia, Last Exile, Dear Boys, and Human Scramble all currently air in the midnight-2am range."

I can say in all honnesty I have never ever heard of any of those.
cookie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:48 am Reply with quote
Zerp wrote:
"Stelvia, Last Exile, Dear Boys, and Human Scramble all currently air in the midnight-2am range."

I can say in all honnesty I have never ever heard of any of those.

they're all new -- on their first or second broadcast episode..

poor choice of anime, i guess.

Excel Saga, Grappler Baki, Hyper Police, Haunted Junction... as near as I can tell, they all broadcast after midnight.

Others that are called "late-night" anime (although I can't find an exact time of broadcast) are Sister Princess, Blue Gender, Neon Genesis Evangelion (tho I thought that broadcast before midnight?), Those Who Hunt Elves, and Nazca.
Tanny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:34 am Reply with quote
that sounds strange because I've watched 26 episodes of CB, How can it's on air?
Truebeliever_jh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:38 am Reply with quote
Tanny wrote:
that sounds strange because I've watched 26 episodes of CB, How can it's on air?

maybe they trying to be the same as the Japanese side. Broadcast the first 13 episodes, then broadcast episode 1 through 26 again in its second run?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1