• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Question about Anime Soundtracks/Japanese/Korean Music

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:33 am Reply with quote
I've always wondered about this. A lot of shows have released special editions with the soundtrack, and I always try to get them when I can. Bandai and Geneon/Pioneer have really pumped out a lot of anime music, but both are now effectively defunct in the U.S.

So, here are some questions:
1. Have you ever bought anime soundtracks without it being part of a special edition package?
2. Have you ever bought a special edition package because it had the soundtrack in it?
3. Would you be willing to purchase a download of the soundtrack, or would you mainly want a physical CD to complete your collection?
4. Have you ever bought Japanese or Korean music digitally or physically? (And please mention if it was physical or digital.)
5. Aside from places like RightStuf, Play-Asia, and YesAsia, do you purchase any Japanese/Korean/Anime/Video Game music?
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:32 am Reply with quote
I've bought soundtrack CDs from places like cdjapan and IMPORTCDS for shows that are unlicensed in R1. I have no interest in other paraphenalia so I've occasionally bought soundtracks for favorite shows like Dennou Coil and Bartender to support the producers. For the other questions, my answer is no, though I might consider legal soundtrack downloads. The rise of legal streaming makes this less likely for me, though, since I watch very few unlicensed shows these days.
lanka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I have ever bought anime soundtracks a special edition package because it had the soundtrack in it, Embarassed .
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
AmishGramish wrote:
1. Have you ever bought anime soundtracks without it being part of a special edition package?

Yes, Some were from Geneon and other North American companies that no longer exist, or no longer sell music, and some were imports.

Quote:
2. Have you ever bought a special edition package because it had the soundtrack in it?

No. I have bought some of those packages, but not because of the soundtrack.
Quote:
3. Would you be willing to purchase a download of the soundtrack, or would you mainly want a physical CD to complete your collection?

I am willing to purchase downloads, and have gotten a few from Amazon.com.
Right now I listen to everything on my MP3 player, so if I get a CD I will rip the tracks that I want to MP3.
I am not a collector.

Quote:
4. Have you ever bought Japanese or Korean music digitally or physically? (And please mention if it was physical or digital.)

I have never bought any Korean music. As far as I know I have never heard any Korean music.
I have bought Japanese music on CD and as MP3 downloads.

Quote:
5. Aside from places like RightStuf, Play-Asia, and YesAsia, do you purchase any Japanese/Korean/Anime/Video Game music?

I have bought many CDs from eBay sellers. Some of them may have been bootlegs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
1. Nope, since the ones I'm interested in buying are older, OoP, and extremely over priced by now. But plan on buying them eventually when I have enough money.
2. No because I haven't even seen an (English release) special edition set with the soundtrack included.
3. I'd do either if it meant I could get the soundtrack.
4. Yes. I've bought more Japanese music than English music on iTunes in the past few months and I'm constantly checking to see if they have more songs I want to buy.
5. Only iTunes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1