• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Anime-Based Noir TV Series Put on Hold

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Not sure why. It's a pretty friggin' easy concept to adapt. But then they've been having problems with that Transporter tv spin-off, too. So maybe action isn't their forte.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
As apprehensive as I might be about how it might come out, I was interested in seeing it, so this disappoints me a little. I can't imagine what might be causing the trouble. Ah well, it may come to be yet. It's always a nuisance to interpret what speakers of the High Hollywoodian dialect mean when they talk about these things.

I'm not surprised by the tipster, although as I recall, he prefers that it be spelled errinundra

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it's highly disappointing. I've been keeping tabs on it regularly.

I'm not all that fussed about the spelling of my username. I don't even spell it consistently across the world wide web. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Araki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of interesting how often you hear about western adaptations of anime going into the limbo lately.
Zewerr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Well I was kinda keeping my Starz/Encore subscription active in anticipation for this show. But I guess I can always reactivate it later, or just watch it on blu-ray when (if) it comes out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BSzabo45

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Noir was pretty good but I'm not sure it deserves a western re-make. I'm curious as to why they picked this one to adapt into a series, despite it being easy to transition to live action.

I don't know, all this talk of making anime into regular American television is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Is anyone else worried about American writers messing up the whole story? Japanese authors have their way of telling a story and we have ours, isn't it better to just let them both be?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Lame. I want to see this so I'm hoping it's not ill fated.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
BSzabo45 wrote:
Is anyone else worried about American writers messing up the whole story? Japanese authors have their way of telling a story and we have ours, isn't it better to just let them both be?

I'm not. If it sucks, I won't watch it and it'll have the same effect as it not existing. If it's awesome, then it's two good series set in a fictional universe rather than just one. It's not like if they make a US version, they'll create a time machine and go back and erase the previous one and replace it with the new one. Both can "be" at the same time without effecting the existence of the other.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
From the information that had previously leaked out, it sounded like they had scrapped most of what made Noir interesting. It seemed far more like "vaguely inspired by the anime Noir", than "based on the anime Noir".
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Whether or not it followed the anime plot wasn't important to me. As I said in previous threads, it could be totally different and totally awesome.

What is sad is that yet another western live adaptation of an anime seems to have fallen over. If just one got up and was successful (read, popular) it would be giant shot in the arm to the English speaking segment of the anime industry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
BSzabo45 wrote:
Noir was pretty good but I'm not sure it deserves a western re-make. I'm curious as to why they picked this one to adapt into a series, despite it being easy to transition to live action.

I don't know, all this talk of making anime into regular American television is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Is anyone else worried about American writers messing up the whole story? Japanese authors have their way of telling a story and we have ours, isn't it better to just let them both be?

No, if it's bad I just won't watch it. One lousy interpretation won't change the fact I love the anime. I can imagine how Noir with an American flare could just as easily be awesome too though.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
From the information that had previously leaked out, it sounded like they had scrapped most of what made Noir interesting. It seemed far more like "vaguely inspired by the anime Noir", than "based on the anime Noir".
It's more like"vaguely inspired by the french word for black that was unrelatedly used as the title of a Japanese cartoon years ago." Someone in production must have asked at the last meeting, "why are we doing this again?" and no body came up with an actual really good reason so they put it on hold until someone does. Laughing
JackCox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
I fully trust Starz on this one, they are starting to pump out more original content and I thought Boss was really well done.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
....that the production team has shifted to working on the Spartacus TV series,....

See, there's yer problem. Beefcake and nekkid women trumps two assassins with lesbo undertones.
TC-man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote
I never understand why people want to make those anime to American live-action tv series. If you can make a totally original tv series or movie with the same money that would have been used on making these uninspired anime to American adaptations, why bother!? Theu have never gathered fans or none-fans: dedicated fans would hate these adaptations and none-fans would not go to the cinema or watch these live-action series to see something they never heard of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2