• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Godannar DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cubs2084

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It is primarily a light-hearted, high-spirited, and grossly (often to the point of comically) melodramatic series by nature, and rarely loses sight of that.

The first season focuses mainly on showing some of the most entertaining fights possible, with some plot and character development thrown in to show that there's more to it then fighting. The second season slows down, focusing on developing the surprisingly excellent and deep story, all leading up to some of the most exciting giant robot fights I've ever seen. You think you're impressed now, you ain't seen nothing yet.

In regards to the fanservice.....I never viewed the high amount of it as a sign that they thought the story couldn't hold up (because it does so quite well regardless of the fanservice). No, I always viewed its excessiveness as a jab at fanservice itself, like "You fans want T&A? Well, see how you like it when we smother you in it!". And really, I got so engrossed in the story that I stopped even noticing after a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Some female character designs have ridiculously exaggerated figures

Thats like saying "some anime charaters have big eyes" it's to be expected.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:08 am Reply with quote
The closest the US will probably get to a domestic release of GaoGaiGar, and for the most part, the total opposite of the whiny robot genre that is a staple of imported mecha shows.

I'll buy it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:05 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
Quote:

Uh, the designs in Godannar are a little more ridiculous than most. I don't think he's off-base with that comment.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:48 pm Reply with quote
He's not off-base at all. I just think the the over-the-top designs are part of the charm of this show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
Quote:

Uh, the designs in Godannar are a little more ridiculous than most. I don't think he's off-base with that comment.

My point is, it's not something to fault it for, since such features tend to be staples in anime.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:00 am Reply with quote
Hey I liked it.

Ok it's cheesy, it's bad and it's got fanservice but so what! I prefer this over that 'Ikkitousen' crap!!! And anything else that called itself having a story and then left me like WTF??? 'Uta~Kata' what the hell was that about? I'll never figure that one out. Just wait till it gets here.

It's not going to be for everyone. Hell, if I'm able to get through 16 episodes so far and keep coming back for more even with the constant "jiggle" here and "jiggle" there I must like it. I'm very familiar with the character designer's booby, booty and slinky female style with very little nostrills. Anyone familar with 'Betterman', 'Gaogaigar', 'Brigadoon','Variable Geo'(both games and anime) as well as 'Dirty Pair Flash' and doujin soft materials will know his style. It's what he's best known for. And if the music sounds highly familiar to 'Dangaioh' (another giant robot show produced by A.I.C, it could be because the same artist who composed [i']Godannar's[/i] soundtrack also composed the 'Dangaioh' soundtrack and most of the giant robot shows back during the 70's. While his son would later compose 'Devilman Lady' and 'Dangaioh-G'.

The show has a very nostalgic feel. At the same time it pokes fun at the genre. And whether the show makes good at telling a story it's not to be taken seriously. It's all entertainment. People who like nostalgia may like it or they may not. After all there are not many fans that are into robot flicks. I really wish they would bring over the 'Gaogaigar' series, but for now this ol' girl with settle for the bright colors, the deliberate loud screaming, deliberate plot holes, deliberate melodrama, robot fights, nostalgic music, marriage and the deliberate silly fanservice (even on the robots too) that is 'Godannar'. Wink

Last edited by Chrno2 on Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:22 am Reply with quote
Godannar is, to me, on the surface, like a 70's Super Robot show, with a 200s venier.

But deeper, it's actually both a very heartfelt memorial to those shows, but also a parody of the likes of Evangelion, and more.

It's not just a happy fun show, there's deeper elements, the characters can really come alive.

And the booby and butt jokes do get more exaggerated over time, but it's fun... Like in, I think, episode 8, where the base's commander loses buttons!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Coffeeman wrote:
Godannar is, to me, on the surface, like a 70's Super Robot show, with a 200s venier.

But deeper, it's actually both a very heartfelt memorial to those shows, but also a parody of the likes of Evangelion, and more.

It's not just a happy fun show, there's deeper elements, the characters can really come alive.

And the booby and butt jokes do get more exaggerated over time, but it's fun... Like in, I think, episode 8, where the base's commander loses buttons!

Oh yeah, now that was a funny scene. No wonder people chose that as an 'avatar'.
fargazer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I just saw the Newtype DVD with episode 1 of Godannar; from that, I took the whole thing to be primarily a huge parody of giant mecha shows. Personally, I found the episode hilarious, both for the deliberate overdose of fan service (obviously Anna's mom has talked to Grenadier's Rushuna and swapped cell phone / bullet storage tips), and for the sudden and deliberately rushed bombardment of complex plot twists.

Overall (from what little "overall" one gets from a single episode), I like it. My impression is the show's staff mocks the whole giant robot genre from a sense of fun, rather than maliciously. Based on comments in this thread, it sounds like the tone of the series changes over time, but for now it's stuck in my head as a parody made by giant robot lovers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number My Anime
cubs2084

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:10 pm Reply with quote
fargazer wrote:
Based on comments in this thread, it sounds like the tone of the series changes over time, but for now it's stuck in my head as a parody made by giant robot lovers.

The shift in Godannar is like that in GaoGaiGar: for a while it consists of the typical SR fanservice (over-the-top Engrish attacks and battles, goofy and light-hearted fun during the non-fighting parts), but then after a big plot twist and some revelations, it shifts focus on plot, characters, and becomes almost completely serious.

So while it may start off as a "parody" of a SR series, later on it turns into a genuine SR series that should be held up in comparison to the best of them.
miredman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm only on the sixth or seventh episode of Godannar, but at this early point in the series, I have to say it's getting on my nerves.

- I enjoyed the kitschy parody elements the first one or two times, but they wear thin really fast.

- The animation is beautiful, but the character designs are inconsistent, and I think that's why they bother some people (including me). There's bits and pieces of everything here. Some characters look one way, other characters look another way. It's unsettling on a very basic level.

- From what I've seen of the story so far, it's not my thing. I understand that Godannar is following in a long, long tradition of giant monster versus giant robot-type stories, but give me a break.

- Overall, the character development so far is just plain weak. That's all I have to say about that.

I'm trying to enjoy it for what it is, but so far, I'm really disappointed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1