• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight: Spring 2012

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Petrea Mitchell wrote:
Looking at the full list now, I hadn't heard about Gakkatsu! before, but it looks kind of interesting. I suppose it's not likely to get a North American simulcast, though.

Per the official site, the episodes animated in Flash, and are 5 minutes in length. Given that it is on one of the NHK channels, however, a simulcast seems unlikely. (Has anything on NHK been simulcast before?)
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

(Has anything on NHK been simulcast before?)

Phi-Brain ~ Kami No Puzzle is a recent example, I'm sure there's more, but without looking it up, that's the only one that comes to mind.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san summary wrote:
Mahiro Yasaka's life is changed one day when he's chased by aliens. Luckily, his life is saved by Nyaruko, a Cthulu deity of chaos who can take on the physical appearance of a silver-haired girl.

Wow, nice. Not sure whether this will be awesome-good or awesome-bad, but I'm just going to start counting off the pile of cash to leave here until it magically turns into a BD.
zaldar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
So um...258 posts (now 259) and no one is going to talk about the craziness of a Cthulu deity appearing as a young girl and saving someone...? Really a CTHULU DEITY MOEIFEID???? ARGGGGGGGG!

I mean come on I know Japan not understanding western culture is legion (what they do to Christianty most of the time even in shows I like, like eva makes me want to pound my head on my desk) but this really? Read source material not you have. I mean geez! If the Cthulu deities can appear as little girls and save people why did they always kill me in the Cthulu games...or drive me completely insane?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Because Japan will turn goddamn ANYTHING into a cute girl.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
zaldar wrote:
So um...258 posts (now 259) and no one is going to talk about the craziness of a Cthulu deity appearing as a young girl and saving someone...? Really a CTHULU DEITY MOEIFEID???? ARGGGGGGGG!

I mean come on I know Japan not understanding western culture is legion (what they do to Christianty most of the time even in shows I like, like eva makes me want to pound my head on my desk) but this really? Read source material not you have. I mean geez! If the Cthulu deities can appear as little girls and save people why did they always kill me in the Cthulu games...or drive me completely insane?
Because she only inspired Lovecraft in the book, making the Cthulu we all know and fear the de-moeified version.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

I'm still waiting on the moefication of famous mathematicians. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I'm more than a bit worried about Apollon since I've heard that all 9 volumes of the manga are going to be compressed into just 12 episodes but I really hope that it all works out well, that trailer certainly looked really cool.

That is a worrying compression ratio, so to improbably speak, but I have faith in the production staff. I definitely worry that I'm setting myself up for a fall by getting so excited about this series. That's part of why I'm putting so much emphasis on the music; given the setting, composer and supply of good jazz musicians in Japan, that should be impossible to screw up.

darkchibi07 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

I'm still waiting on the moefication of famous mathematicians. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Skip that jive and straight moefy mathematical concepts themselves. We need fourier transform-tan and an anthropomorphized rendition of Gaussian Distribution with breasts shaped like the standard normal distribution! (Would a chibi version of The Big O count?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

darkchibi07 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Skip that jive and straight moefy mathematical concepts themselves. We need fourier transform-tan and an anthropomorphized rendition of Gaussian Distribution with breasts shaped like the standard normal distribution! (Would a chibi version of The Big O count?)

And we can have Leibniz and Newton be tsundere rivals over Calculus-chan. Laughing

And that's enough out of me.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
So did Train Hero get stuck in development hell? I know someone who would have been interested in checking it out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

I'm waiting for car companies to be personified. But only if they include those car companies only car nuts like me have heard of: Autobacs, Mosler, Morgan, Gumpert, De Tomaso, Wiessman, Tommy Kaira, Devon, Autobianchi, Bertone...

(Damn, even I had to rack my brain for those last few...)
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

As can crazy B-Movie directors. Dagon turned Cthulu into a sexy chick far before this anime.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
zaldar wrote:

Lovecraft was chosen because he didn't leave behind any descendants that could sue.

besides, there is a clever plan to merchandize this show:
like pink candy-coated garden slugs, and huggy-pillows which deliver the dreamer to where the Deep Ones lie.

Bwahahahaha!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
A! IA! CTHULHU FHTAGN!

It is all a clever plan to wake the Old One and get rid of all the NEETS .....using a cartoon! Bwa ha ha!
tlsmith63

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if Funimation is going to simulcast Sakamichi no Apollon (Kids on the Slope)? It's a Noitamina show, & Funimation sometimes simulcasts their shows.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia could be interesting if it's got decent ghost stories.

Eureka Seven AO I am sort of curious about, although I wouldn't want to see it become like the Last Exile sequel. Zetman looks like the real mecha series that the fans will love.

I'll probably watch the Rock Lee show but that stuff can get tiring fast.

The Lupin III I'm sort of curious about, but I'm not really much of a Lupin III fan.

I did catch the first episode of Ozuma/Ozma. It does have a lot of the cliche aspects that so many anime have today, but if it's not too long I could probably watch it simply because of the creator.

Phi Brain probably would have been best without a sequel. I have been watching it but I can't say I'm interested enough in a second series.

Uchi Kyodai looks like something along the lines of Moonlight Mile. It could be interesting but it's also the sort of thing that tends to get passed over by both streaming sites and fansubbers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 19