• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Soubi Yamamoto

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I was really pissed when I missed this at Comic-Con. Stupid theater was packed for the next event. Anyways I hope she continues to make good works.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Most interesting! It's good to hear she's doing fine for herself, and I wish her all the luck in her career! I'm certainly looking forward to seeing this movie courtesy of Sentai.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Interestingly enough, I focused on the picture attached to the article for a while when it was included with the many photos from the review of 2012 TIAF. Not sure why, but it might have been because she was representing her own work (an individual as opposed to a company). Then I saw this interview a couple of days later. Considering one of her influences was Makoto Shinkai, I'm looking forward to seeing more of her work.
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't going to pick up This Boy Can Fight Aliens! before but because of this interview, I will.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
I got interested in Soubi Yamamoto just a while ago, so it's neat to see an interview with her on top of This Boy Can Fight Aliens being licensed. I haven't seen that yet, but she seems to want to tell the kind of stories that I like.

I'm pretty sure that there's room and need for new, young talent in anime. A lot of the big players right now are men in their forties and fifties, or older. Somebody like Ms. Yamamoto who started doing it because she really wanted to is a hopeful sign. I hope that she gets a chance to work on a larger scale in due time.

Before I read this, I had never seen the term sekai-kei before. I'm half surprised since I like that kind of story. I probably like it for the same reason I often enjoy 'bottle episodes', that so much of it takes place in so few sets is a big part of why I like Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, and simple vignettes a lot. The limited scope and cast make what is present stronger and clearer. They're the narrative equivalent of a demitasse of Turkish coffee.

I tend to like tragic style of those stories, but I can't object to the idea of happier ones.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I got interested in Soubi Yamamoto just a while ago, so it's neat to see an interview with her on top of This Boy Can Fight Aliens being licensed. I haven't seen that yet, but she seems to want to tell the kind of stories that I like.

I'm pretty sure that there's room and need for new, young talent in anime. A lot of the big players right now are men in their forties and fifties, or older. Somebody like Ms. Yamamoto who started doing it because she really want to is a hopeful sign. I hope that she gets a chance to work on a larger scale in due time.

Well, they're desperately looking for anyone young to take over. (I remember seeing a recent picture of animation supervisor Kazuchika Kise of Ghost in the Shell and XXXholic. He aged so much that I couldn't recognize him at first. He is like 20 years younger than Hayao Miyazaki.

You know that more and more young Japanese men don't work in the animation industry because it goes against their future of having financially stable life with family of their own. Ironically, anime industry appears to be only industry that lives up to the spirit of start-up and entrepreneurship. We're seeing more women creators than ever, so I would like to see what kind of vision they'll bring.
nhat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote
Soubi should definitely look into Kickstarter (crowdsourcing) to get starting money on her projects. Definitely an option in this day and age.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
You know that more and more young Japanese men don't work in the animation industry because it goes against their future of having financially stable life with family of their own. Ironically, anime industry appears to be only industry that lives up to the spirit of start-up and entrepreneurship. We're seeing more women creators than ever, so I would like to see what kind of vision they'll bring.

An anime industry with more women, especially in the lead production positions, would be nice. It'd be to see if anime would change and how it might change if it weren't a sort of weirdly socially isolated 'boys' club' like it is now. I have noticed that there seem to be a growing number of women doing series composition, which is hopeful sign. It would be healthful to add wider perspective to the production process and maybe to add to the female audience for anime. Besides, underutilizing women is just bad economic sense; it wastes half of the potential workforce. (I've seen some suggestions that part of why Southern European nations are economically fragile is the low labor force participation of their women, especially compared to the more robust economies of Northern Europe and the United States)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1