• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Revoltech Alucard

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:29 am Reply with quote
Ahh, man, nothing sucks worse than crushing disappointment when buying an expensive figurine. So sorry for the wasted money, mate, and better luck next time. BTW never gotten the chance to say this, so I figured the first post would a good place: this has to be one of my favorite columns on any website, so thanks and keep up the great work!
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote
I don't think Kaiyodo should ever get Yamaguchi to sculpt anything but Robots, and if he does it should probably only be ones that are really simple in design like Professor Layton or the members of DMC. Kaiyodo do have sculptors who can do humans well, like the person who did the Fist of the North Star revoltechs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
I was really excited when I heard about this figure a few months ago and then I saw him. I really wanted to own an Alucard figure, but he looked so darn ugly that I skipped. I'm glad I did.

I hope he's at least a tax write-off for you.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... this is sadly a pass for me. I've picked up a ton of Revoltechs, and not just mecha, but this one is not really representing the character well. I have a ton of Hellsing stuff already and this would have been a nice addition, but this simply doesn't look good. I overlooked the odd joints on Lupin or Vash, and I could here, but there are just too many poor designs as illustrated in the review. I heard some bad buzz, but this review confirmed it. Thanks for saving me some dough.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
vapwaazu wrote:
I don't think Kaiyodo should ever get Yamaguchi to sculpt anything but Robots, and if he does it should probably only be ones that are really simple in design like Professor Layton or the members of DMC. Kaiyodo do have sculptors who can do humans well, like the person who did the Fist of the North Star revoltechs.

Agreed wholeheartedly. It's not like they don't have a guy who can do this. The same sculptor (Tomohide Enoki?) did the Yotsuba stuff.

Oh, and guys, you don't need to feel bad for me. Yes, I wasted $60 on this terrible Alucard figure. It wasn't my money. We have a budget!
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
A bad figure in the column once in a while isn't the end of the world. Heck, it's useful 'cause it makes the good ones look even better. Plus it warns people to stay away from crappy figures. You know, like this one. I mean seriously, it looks almost nothing like Alucard, has none of the gravitas, and seems kind of lame. If even one person is warned off buying this then I'll consider it a success from a PSA perspective.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I am of the mind that Revoltech should stick to releasing robots.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:16 am Reply with quote
it just boggles my mind as to why they didn't make the coat red, I don't get it at all
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the brown coat was a deal breaker for me. I would have been fine with displaying him with the glasses face, but no red coat means no sale. I can only assume they felt they had too many characters with red coats in the works at the time (between Vash and Ed Elric) and thought they could get away with something else for Alucard, but it fell flat on its nose. I was hoping they'd come along with a repaint, but there doesn't seem to be anything on the horizon.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1