• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: To Love-Ru Darkness Not Necessarily Headed to TV

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Makes perfect sense with how racy the material is.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I prefer it be a long running set of OVAs over television.
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
^ This.

Consider it like the first season's "Trouble" OVA run, before Motto was animated. Now Motto can have its own set of "Darkness" OVAs to go along with it. Smile Either way I can't wait for this series to be made. It made my day when I saw the announcement. I just hope Sentai gets their *ish* straight and puts it out on Blu-ray (Motto and the original OVAs included.) I was disappointed that Motto only received DVD treatment so far.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, an OVA ep every couple of months would also be good to let the manga pull ahead some.

I sure hope they keep the same voice cast. Hearing Haruka Tomatsu or Kana Hanazawa in those pervy situations... *drool*
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I dislike OVAs, due to how it takes forever to come out so theres no real connection from each episode to the next, and theres less total episodes. Manyuu proved that you can air borderline hentai on TV so I looked forward to seeing this as a TV release, so this news disappoints me.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Mc-Taz wrote:
I just hope Sentai gets their *ish* straight and puts it out on Blu-ray (Motto and the original OVAs included.) I was disappointed that Motto only received DVD treatment so far.

Pfft.
Who says they didn't try to get the Motto OVAs?
Considering they were released with the manga and not a regular release, the chance that they actually could get them was immensely minuscule.

Same goes for this.
If Darkness winds up as an OVA released with the manga, you might as well not even bother wishing.

Last edited by The Coffee God on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
OVA gets to be longer than 20 minutes, though, so it's like getting 2 episodes at once.

Besides, it says 'not necessarily' headed to TV. There's still a chance it will be a TV show.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering how they would do another season, since they're only 16-17 chapters into To Love-Ru Darkness. 3-4 OVAs would probably be enough to get the important things shown. Plus they're not restricted with the amount of racy material that is in it.

But hopefully it won't follow Motto & a couple of the original OVAs method of storytelling. Where it was 2-3 different stories in each episode.
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
@ The Coffee God

My beef with Sentai is more with the fact that they probably wouldn't release it on Blu-ray, and not whether or not they will release it or if they tried to obtain it. If they can't get either one, then that's a totally different story, but acquiring it and putting it out on DVD only is entirely their own issue.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I think the rights for BD are not the same as rights for DVD. They can't create a BD just because they acquired the rights to the show, and even if they could they only have the video they are granted, so they would have to do their own upscale.

My problem with Sentai isn't this because I do understand it, but because they just do such boring releases I can't stand buying from them if it's DVD-only. It's not necessarily their fault, but I won't buy entirely out of charity. I do at least want something decent when there are plenty of shows I'm interested in and I'm spending quite a bit of money on anime.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
well, considering darkness is basically hentai in disguise, I can see why that would be.

I am very fond of momo though and have the alter figure preordered.

I have the first season DVDs but I will not buy motto until it is at a budget price, if at all. I have a policy to refuse to buy down-scaled DVDs.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
Holy shit have I been out of the loop. TWOGKs is already out on dvd, IS drops on blu ray in a few days, and Motte Love Ru was licensed. Good times people, good times.
daichi383

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:48 am Reply with quote
Oh i remember when to love ru first came out all those years ago and i was sooo into it. Can't watch it now cause its f*ckin terrible but i feel bad for the fans that wanted it to be on TV (maybe it still will). Hope you guys enjoy it when it comes out.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:34 am Reply with quote
The J-TV censors are becoming cleverer.............. Laughing
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
Now Jump SQ magazine is saying it IS a TV series

This is damn confusing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2