• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Licenses Berserk Film Trilogy

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Again...what the what? Viz has been pretty busy lately...
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
At least this will be more successful than Monster most likely, which will probably mean I don't have to worry about the future releases to be halted or anything.

*sigh* It's depressing to write that.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
While i am glad to see Berserk getting licensed so quickly i hope that it won't join Inuyasha-Final Chapter in VIZ's Bat cave for years without a release Crying or Very sad
Zendervai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
The article does say that it is slated for a Fall release. I assume that means they won't spend a year on casting.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Not sure how I feel about this. Viz is kinda crappy. But then again, so is the CG in these films.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Color me surprised. I expected that somebody would license the new Berserk films, but I wouldn't've guessed that it would be Viz. I suppose that I would've guessed FUNIMation.

I look forward to seeing them. I might not like their use of CGI, but that's probably worth overlooking.

I wonder if they'll get an English dub. Presuming that they do, I wonder who they'd hire to do it. I seem to remember liking the cast for the old Media Blasters release. I wouldn't expect Viz to try to get that band back together anyway, even if it could. It would nice if they'd choose NYAV Post. The idea of Dean Venture working on the dub for Manliness: The Animated Picture amuses me and they've done some pretty good work too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
So we're going to finally see InuYasha: The Final Act afterall? I wonder if it'll be shown on TV...
AJMkarate717

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why they are able to release this so soon, but not Tiger & Bunny. Viz has sat on titles for so long in the past, it makes me somewhat doubt this will actually have a fall 2012 release...
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
AJMkarate717 wrote:
I wonder why they are able to release this so soon, but not Tiger &Bunny. Viz has sat on things for so long in the past, it makes me somewhat doubt this will actually have a fall 2012 release...

It;s only been about a year since the show aired in Japan. It would surprising IF Viz had it out the gate already. It;s already been confirmed that their working on casting for it right now.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Berserk Films Licensed already. HELL YEAH!! These will be day 1 purchases. Plus since they are Movies i feel comfortable we will get a dub. I wonder how much if any of the TV Series Cast they will get?

Would love at least Gutts (Marc Diraison) ,Griffith (Kevin Collins) and Caska (Carrie Keranen) to be the same but i admit im hoping for way too much here.

Inuyasha Final Act on Blu ray is a nice suprise!
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I just wish we'd get some Berserk animated other than Golden Age. The TV series did it pretty faithfully, but there's been a lot since then - more than enough for another 26-episode series.
SuperVegetto

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
tcdelaney wrote:
I just wish we'd get some Berserk animated other than Golden Age. The TV series did it pretty faithfully, but there's been a lot since then - more than enough for another 26-episode series.

What makes you think we aren't getting it?

The studio said the future of the project depends on the success of the first film.

Later they told on twitter they were celebrating the success of the first film.

The guy who teaches them about medieval fighting or w/e said he's been asked to stick for the rest of the project. And that was when (likely) the third movie was already animated.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Update: Viz Media confirmed at the panel that it will release Inuyasha: The Final Act on DVD and Blu-ray Disc in Fall 2012.

Is this some sort of late April Fools? Because it seems like it.

Hopefully, since it's taken them this long, they A) retain the same voice cast and B) Air it on TV.
Giant_Robo_28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty hesitant with Viz holding the license to this movie. While on one hand, Viz has a golden opportunity to capitalize on the western market here with a property like Berserk. On the other, they've been sitting on Tiger & Bunny for a long time now. Granted, I'm sure there's a lot of hoops to go through for all of the product placement that's in it, I'm sure they could have released it by now. Hopefully, they'll put some effort into this release and we'll get something out of it.
RedTail

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:
Berserk Films Licensed already. HELL YEAH!! These will be day 1 purchases. Plus since they are Movies i feel comfortable we will get a dub. I wonder how much if any of the TV Series Cast they will get?

Would love at least Gutts (Marc Diraison) ,Griffith (Kevin Collins) and Caska (Carrie Keranen) to be the same but i admit im hoping for way too much here.

Inuyasha Final Act on Blu ray is a nice suprise!

Viz has been using mostly LA studios for dubbing recently, and NYAV Post does have an LA studio... It could conceivably happen!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4