• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Simulcast New Lupin III TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJMkarate717

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm only interested if I don't have to pay for a separate subscription for it like Panty and Stocking. Not in the mood to pay twice for this show, when I know FUNi will release it on home video eventually. Personally, I'm pissed at the idea, given that everyone hates their dub of the series, and they never gave a f**k about the show the first time around.

While Nico Nico does have a "fee," it is only 25¢. I mean, that's pretty negligible. And while I agree that it would be nice if FUNi and Nico Nico could work, through their partnership, to consolidate their subscription plans so that one payment gets both sites, as of right now it doesn't seem like a problem. Personally, I have no problem with the $7.95 FUNi is asking per month - it's less than one ticket to go see a movie and about the price of a decent sandwich at Subway, and there are something like 5,000 episodes available with a subscription.

As for Panty and Stocking, I don't see what the reason is to be upset. The people willing to pay will get the first two dub episodes earlier than those who don't - it's part of the package. And I'm pretty sure everyone else will get them early, too, just not as early as the Elite Video Subscribers. FUNi's giving away a ton of content for free, and it's only expected that they have some sort of incentives so that people are willing to pay for it. They've finally found a way to monetize, and I wish them the best!
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I know where I'm watching the Lupin series from now on.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
pleasebeuncutpleasebeuncutpleasebeuncutpleasebeuncut

Last edited by prime_pm on Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I am pleased. A professional translation is always welcome (I'm not a big fan of the fansub group of double consonants, they tend to purposely mistranslate things for comedic effect). And hopefully there will be a home release as well. The big flaw with Funi's past Lupin releases were their horrible dub script re-writes. Perhaps they will avoid a similar outcome.

/And to the people complaining about the boobage, as I've said elsewhere, Lupin has been full of tits for a long time. Calling it fanservice is not particularly accurate anymore.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
@prime_pm: Geez, you didn't need to have extended the page like that, did you? Your return key is your friend!

Anyway, I admittedly have very mixed feelings about this.

Funimation getting antoher entry for Lupin III: Woot!
Nico Nico streaming it: Uhhh...

I've limited myself in terms of Nico Nico usage because... well, for un-paying members anyway, the video quality really stunk for the few times I've used it: namely, for the two Madoka dub premieres. At the very least, I don't think either of those premieres have made it past 240p (or a 360p that would oftentimes dip into 240p-or-under pixelation). I've yet to see any other show that has been simulcasted on Nico Nico before... is the video quality any better with those? (If so is that quality only limited to paying members?) And furthermore, might they censor it? Maybe I could live with the potential censorship, but low streaming quality like the Madoka dub premieres? Not so much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I was never a fan of Lupin but I like art styles that stand out and knowing that the Redline and Michiko to Hatchin people were involved made this something I wanted to check out.

I'm surprised to see the boo hissing about NicoNico. I've only seen Black Rock Shooter, Milky Holmes S2, and Future Diary on there, but they were commercial free, HD, and didn't suffer the banding issues that CR streams have. What's so bad about that? The only knock I had was that full screen only covers about 90% of my screen, which I don't even notice after about a minute or I can hit a zoom button on my TV remote and get it proper and still see the subs.

Anyways, any word on when they will start posting up episodes?
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
well i guess more funi-service to pickup.

yea if wonder i never heard yet funi dub of any lupin anime so if fujiko prequel series get dub any ideas to cast?
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the "raw" of the first episode from the NTV over-air broadcast and it is definitely NOT censored--in fact, I'm a bit surprised NTV allowed it be shown like that given Tokyo Prefecture's new laws in regards to manga and anime.

Actually, I think I know why--the characters from this show are obviously adults, and as such they could get away with things that you couldn't do with other late-night anime on over-air broadcast, which shows under-18 characters.

Anyway, I REALLY like this show--the animation is very stylish, as if the early Monkey Punch Lupin III manga had "come to life." I think this is gong to be a pretty good show, and hopefully, FUNi gets the US domestic home video rights.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
*ridiculously long post

You do realize that this post is stretching the page horribly, right?
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
pleasebeuncutpleasebeuncut

quote truncated

Thank you for breaking the frame. People so love having to scroll side to side to read all the messages on a page.
</sarcasm>

On a more serious note, hopefully a moderator will edit your message soon, as when it went to report it, I was notified it was already reported.

Animerican14 wrote:

Anyway, I admittedly have very mixed feelings about this.

Funimation getting antoher entry for Lupin III: Woot!
Nico Nico streaming it: Uhhh...

I've limited myself in terms of Nico Nico usage because... well, for un-paying members anyway, the video quality really stunk for the few times I've used it: namely, for the two Madoka dub premieres. At the very least, I don't think either of those premieres have made it past 240p (or a 360p that would oftentimes dip into 240p-or-under pixelation). I've yet to see any other show that has been simulcasted on Nico Nico before... is the video quality any better with those? (If so is that quality only limited to paying members?) And furthermore, might they censor it? Maybe I could live with the potential censorship, but low streaming quality like the Madoka dub premieres? Not so much.

It appears you are confusing Nico Nico Douga (niconico.jp) with Nico Nico (niconico.com).

Since the Funico joint venture in Fall 2011, Nico Nico has been streaming new material in 720p (with the exception of Shana, which was 480p).

During the beta period, they have only been requiring a token payment of 25 cents for members, although I believe the 720p video is still available to free members. (The primary benefit of the membership is being able to still view episodes after the first week). The real question is what will happen when the site finally emerges from beta.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
AJM: I don't feel like having to pay twice for a show I may only want to see once. And why should anyone have to subsidize shitty FUNi dubs? That's a rip-off. Plus, they haven't really done anything-i.e. release it on home video or broadcast it on Adult Swim-with P+S two years later, and I don't want to wait that long for Fujiko.

Sacto: It's based off an older series, so they probably figured they could get away with more, since anyone offended at this point is someone who hasn't heard of it.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
*ridiculously long post

You do realize that this post is stretching the page horribly, right?

Different resolution on my pc. Sometimes you forget you're using a 1680x1050 monitor. By you, I mean me.

My bad.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The series premiered in Japan on April 4.

How can it be simulcast when it's already airing? What a crock!!
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:19 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Well, it will be less than ideal if the series is censored, but I'll live. I wonder how they'd handle it since both the opening and ending would have to be massively altered or omitted, but I somehow doubt that the merits of the series would be meaningfully damaged by alterations that are ultimately pretty superficial. It wouldn't be much of a show otherwise.

If it's as good as I've heard, I certainly will hope for it to be released on home video in the United States. I'd love to have the cast from the Geneon English dub of the second television series, but that would probably never happen to, truth be told, this Lupin seems slightly edgier than Tony Oliver's performance, much as I liked it, could handle. Richard Epcar's Jigen should still be appropriate, at least.

Right now everyone at niconico is furiously creating censoring comments that pop up white squares at just the right points throughout the video stream...

j/k
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:04 am Reply with quote
chronoclast wrote:
O-chan wrote:
Since I'm mainly a Crunchyroll, Hulu, and OnePieceOfficial type guy I need to ask:

Where is this supposed "Funico" site?

Does anyone have the web address?

O-chan

It's NicoNico.

I haven't checked out NicoNico in a while. Is this site seriously still Flash-only? When even Adobe has given up on Flash for mobile platforms?

I really don't want to sit at my damn desk to watch Lupin (yeah, #firstworldproblem). I'll be amazed if NicoNico -- or anyone -- has a Flash-only strategy this time next year. Tablets and set-tops are way nicer ways to watch anime. The Crunchyroll app for iPad is really nice, and The Anime Network is getting there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4