• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Kids on the Slope, Mysterious Girlfriend X

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote
The problem with Kids on the Slope dub is the Kyuushuu accent...

It's very strong with most of the characters except for the main one (who came in from Tokyo area)... It's even a plot point, sort of.

Actually, though... a houston accent (i.e. light texas drawl) would be pretty close in terms of cultural matching. A kyuushuu accent is considered laid back and rural to Japanese speakers. But that runs a real risk.

More difficult would be the various 1960s era slang that's used...

Whoever does the ADR script for this needs to realize this is NOT an easy project at all. It could be one of the more difficult dub scripts to write for anime today, it's highly non-typical.
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
I also hope that Sentai gets Hyouka.. STAY AWAY NISA! -_-

that would be interesting
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
My 'Mysterious Girlfriend X' looks interesting. The art style is very reminiscent of many of the 80's animation. Kinda reminded me a bit of Yuzo Takada. I may have to check this out.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
So let me get this straight: Mysterious Girlfriend X is a drool romance?

No, it is an awesome drool romance. If done correctly.

I'm more interested in X than Apollo mostly because Cowboy Bebop didn't do a thing for me and the director's already made alusions, "sneakily", to his previous work in press materials for Apollo.

"Jazz"*nudge* "Session"* nudge*
Yes, I get it. You're desperate for an audience but I remain unexcited and unimpressed.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
@Animegomaniac
It's a good thing he already has a ready audience then, if he's so desperate. The collaboration of him and Yoko Kanno is basically a dream come true for the many Cowboy Bebop fans there are. Plus, Jazz played a big part in the manga for Apollon; I don't really see how he could avoid talking about it, especially since he likes jazz himself.

Anyway, I can't wait to own Apollon in a year or two. I have high hopes for this one, and I might be able to show it to my friend who's big on jazz.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
There were some other stuff mention from report I saw on panel. That they license rescue Parasite Dolls (strange choice). Also The World God Only Knows comes out in August.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
MGX is a good romance series. I respect the creator for taming his series, he knew that just because he had a weird idea doesn't mean he has to go all out weird and add insane amounts of fanservice or creepy fetish images and whatnot.

Instead, he tried to lessen the gross-ness of the idea and for those who have read the manga can agree that it now seems almost non-sickening considering the context that has been set up.

So I say to newbies, give it a try, it's not as weird as the idea lets on. You have to experience it, there's no way one can find the words to put 'drool tasting' in positive light, it's something you just have to see.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I wish someone would pick up Dusk maiden of Amnesia and Upotte!!

I'm assuming you mean for DVD/BD release, as Crunchyroll had already announced the simulcast of Upotte! earlier in the week before your post was made.
Jetman2020

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
STEVE BLUM BETTER BE IN THIS DUB OR I'LL BE MAD! Evil or Very Mad
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Jetman2020 wrote:
STEVE BLUM BETTER BE IN THIS DUB OR I'LL BE MAD! :evil:

Why? The chance of Steve Blum being in the dub, if Sentai even dubs it, is near zero. Sentai almost always dubs series in house at Seraphim Digital. They have outsourced to Bang Zoom on a few series only to keep continuity with previous series, and even those are probably non-union productions which Steve Blum hasn't done for many years.
Jetman2020

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Jetman2020 wrote:
STEVE BLUM BETTER BE IN THIS DUB OR I'LL BE MAD! Evil or Very Mad

Why? The chance of Steve Blum being in the dub, if Sentai even dubs it, is near zero. Sentai almost always dubs series in house at Seraphim Digital. They have outsourced to Bang Zoom on a few series only to keep continuity with previous series, and even those are probably non-union productions which Steve Blum hasn't done for many years.

I know that's why I'm mad that Sentai picked up this show because a Shinchiro Watanabe show without Steve Blum is like Macaroni and Cheese without the Cheese. Sure there are other things you can do with Macaroni but for this occasion you got to have that cheese in there.

BUT THERE'S HOPE! If they are getting the same voice actors for Persona 4, who all stem from L.A., then getting Steve Blum and perhaps Wendee Lee for the Kids on the Slope dub is a possibility. Very Happy
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
My 'Mysterious Girlfriend X' looks interesting. The art style is very reminiscent of many of the 80's animation. Kinda reminded me a bit of Yuzo Takada. I may have to check this out.

Yeah I noticed that as well, i'll admit the style of the series is what draws me in the most. Nothing beats 80's/90's anime style. Imo anywho.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Jetman2020 wrote:
I know that's why I'm mad that Sentai picked up this show because a Shinchiro Watanabe show without Steve Blum is like Macaroni and Cheese without the Cheese. Sure there are other things you can do with Macaroni but for this occasion you got to have that cheese in there.

BUT THERE'S HOPE! If they are getting the same voice actors for Persona 4, who all stem from L.A., then getting Steve Blum and perhaps Wendee Lee for the Kids on the Slope dub is a possibility. Very Happy

Where is Blum in Michiko to Hatchin? Oh yeah right, it was never licensed and everyone's forgotten about it.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Original Persona 4 dub cast? Can I go ahead and pre-order now? Please?

This Smile Man I'm so looking forward to these BDs.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:
Wow, a bunch of series from this Spring have already been licensed.

Hopefully someone gets Dusk Maiden of Amnesia.

Agreed. In one weekend, it looks like a lot of the titles I've been interested in have been picked up for release in one form or another. I'm also hoping Dusk Maiden Of Amnesia will be picked up by someone.

Between Kids On The Slope and Mysterious Girlfriend X, I have more interest in the former. I'll certainly be checking it out when CR starts to stream it. Might also watch an episode or two of MGX when It's streamed, just to see what it's like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4