• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Black Jack

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Thank you thank you THANK YOU for writing this! Black Jack is my favorite manga ever, and it needs more publicity.

(Also, thanks for reminding me why I no longer care about House MD

Rolling Eyes .)
ladykibble

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but it wasn't until Vertical translated the series that we got all 17 volumes of the Japanese bunko edition. The bunko edition is itself a "best of" edition, so there are plenty of untranslated stories still in Japan (although by definition they are the "worst of", so don't hold your breath for them to get translated).

Vertical also released volumes 1-3 as a limited edition hardcover exclusively through Diamond Previews. According to the article "Black Jack: The Excluded Issues, and Osamu Tezuka's "Star System"" by Ada Palmer found in vol. 3...

"Tezuka himself personally oversaw a deluxe edition, arranging the issues in his preferred order, but he still chose to omit eleven stories. Vertical's release reproduces this deluxe edition, including 231 stories, but Tezuka Productions has been kind enough to release three of the traditionally excluded issues, one in each limited-edition hardcover."

The article further explains that the reason for some stories exclusion was because of sensitive subject matters.

And just for information's sake, the three "excluded" stories are...

Volume 1 - "The Two Jans"
Volume 2 - "The One That Remains"
Volume 3 - "Witch Trial"

I really enjoyed these stories. They're a great deal darker than many of Black Jack's adventures (the reason for their initial exclusion), and I think it adds both an interesting and necessary contrast between the stories. I'd hardly call them "the worst of"...I'm really curious as to what the remaining "sealed" 8 stories are like.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
It's funny that Dr. Gregory House was mentioned in this article with Black Jack. I remember reading an article from a few years ago when they invited Hugh Laurie to Japan to play Dr. House. If I remember correctly,it was either a commercial or a short or something in which Dr. House meets his counterpart Black Jack. Would anyone else remember that?
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I've yet to read the last two volumes, but I also enjoyed being able to pick up the volumes more or less out of order. Trust me, I will get the final two volumes, my Tezuka shelf needs it. I don't think it's my favorite Tezuka title, there's Phoenix and Ode to Kirihito to contend with, but it is one of the best purely episodic manga I've ever read. I always wonder how he came up with so many ideas!

Now if another "B" manga, Banana Fish were to finally get a column....
TG72

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:47 am Reply with quote
Good timing for this article! I've been watching the OVAs over the last few weeks and have really enjoyed them. Will definitely check out at least a couple volumes of the manga now...
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Great article. However, it is shameful that the writer only thinks the OVA exists.

The anime seasons the manga has gotten between 2004 and 2005 were amazing and had all the medical drama and cartooniness of the manga.

I am peeved so few people know about the amazing conversion.
blackmokona

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:19 am Reply with quote
This is many times more convincing than my friend's argument that I should read it. It helps that the Vertical cover is such an improvement on the original.
tyciol

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Pinoko is technically 18 years old, but she spent the first 17 years of her life as a parasitic twin in a lump inside the body of her sister. Bl>ack Jack surgically removed her and, after a few stiff drinks, reassembled her disconnected jumble of organs into an artificial body.

For giving her her life, Pinoko loves Bl>ack Jack. No, I mean really loves him; she insists that she is his "wife" (Bl>ack Jack disagrees) and sometimes gets jealous when he spends too much time away or operates on other ladies.

Several stories involve Pinoko's attempt to get a grown-up body, but it never works. For her childish lisp, her silly slang, her adult loves, and her amazing combination of "18-year-old brain in less-than-one-year-old, fetal doll body", Pinoko is the most loli character ever. And hey, she cooks and cleans!

A pretty extreme claim Mr. Thompson.

Surely there are others with lisp and slang... and I'm not sure how 'old brain in young body' or 'loves adult' relates to it in the modern sense... although I certainly see how it relates to it in the classic Nabokov sense.

I occurs to me that in Ashita no Joe, Sachi appears to have the hots for Joe...and I think she probably had some slang going for her... I can't really perceive lisp in Japanese dialect so I don't know about that. She doesn't have 'old brain' going for her, but she is pretty organized compared to her friends and throws sandals at people, which should count for something. Surely she could compete for this title?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:20 am Reply with quote
No necroposting, please.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1