• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fuji TV to Stream Some Anime Titles for Free on YouTube

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Did they not announce which series? Does anyone else find the vagueness of the title amusing? It's like "Fuji TV to Stream Some [crummy] Anime Titles [or something] for Free on YouTube". Laughing
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I hope one of the titles is Chibi Maruko-chan, KXLA channel doesn't air it anymore.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
So... uh, will there be any subtitles? English subtitles? As much as I love anime, I still haven't and will not in the near future learn Japanese. If they do have English subtitles (which I do not expect yet), I hope they put up noitaminA shows that haven't been released in the US like Hataraki Man and Kuchu Buranko.

Oh this is all a pipe dream.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:33 am Reply with quote
I will be looking forward to discovering what titles they'll be putting on YouTube. English or Japanese subtitles would be fine with me, though... I'm not perfect at Japanese listening or reading, but I find that I can understand more if there are some subtitles even if it's also in Japanese.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
However, Fuji TV did not specify if all shows to be streamed through this program will be made available to viewers outside of Japan.

Unless certain regions are explicitly mentioned in the unveiling of a new streaming venture, it is often best to consider them excluded therefrom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
qashairy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:04 am Reply with quote
Was hoping it would be available on Malaysia. Laughing
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
darkhappy1 wrote:
So... uh, will there be any subtitles? English subtitles? As much as I love anime, I still haven't and will not in the near future learn Japanese. If they do have English subtitles (which I do not expect yet), I hope they put up noitaminA shows that haven't been released in the US like Hataraki Man and Kuchu Buranko.

They could also put them up on Viki and then use the fansubs from Viki on YouTube.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:34 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
darkhappy1 wrote:

They could also put them up on Viki and then use the fansubs from Viki on YouTube.

I doubt that. They have master videos, so they don't need fansub files. Noitamina shows use professional translation on other streaming sites, so why would they use translations from unreliable and underqualified sources? Also, let's not forget about their family oriented shows.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:30 am Reply with quote
The Hataraki Man fansub was translated by one of those professional translators.

Not that I expect to see it appear legally anywhere.

I just happened to rewatch episode six of that series, the one about Yumi-chan and the professional baseball player. What a subtle and complex show that was!
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:58 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
The Hataraki Man fansub was translated by one of those professional translators.

Not that I expect to see it appear legally anywhere.

I just happened to rewatch episode six of that series, the one about Yumi-chan and the professional baseball player. What a subtle and complex show that was!

Yeah, one of these days I'll get that show legally out there, and I'll take my subs and completely redo them because I was not capable of translating that show properly back then.

It's such a shame the manga-ka probably won't finish the manga.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
agila61 wrote:

I doubt that. They have master videos, so they don't need fansub files.

Who said anything about video? The financial question is who is paying for the subtitling.

Quote:
Noitamina shows use professional translation on other streaming sites, ...

Which the streaming licensees pay for, and which the original rights owners get the right to as part of their streaming rights contract.

Quote:
so why would they use translations from unreliable and underqualified sources?

Because if they pay for subtitling themselves for ad-streams, they will lose money? Now, likely the total ad revenue will cover the cost of the subtitles, but not the portion of the ad revenue from the views by non-Japanese-speakers.

Quote:
Also, let's not forget about their family oriented shows.

What conceivable different does that make? Its not like the crowdsourced subtitles that the Korean networks get from Viki to put their shows up on Hulu are full of off-color language.

Its like you think I was suggesting that they use a bootleg fansub group, rather than a legit site that uses licensed content and pays per view royalties to the rights owners.

Indeed, one could hire a professional translation editor to clean up Viki fansubs {NB. @samuelp ~ and quite clearly should}, and still save a substantial amount of money over commissioning professional subtitles from scratch ~ even if the Korean networks have decided that they would rather not spend the money on doing that.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:28 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

Indeed, one could hire a professional translation editor to clean up Viki fansubs {NB. @samuelp ~ and quite clearly should}, and still save a substantial amount of money over commissioning professional subtitles from scratch ~ even if the Korean networks have decided that they would rather not spend the money on doing that.

No, they couldn't.

I don't accept jobs cleaning up other people's crappy subs, especially crowdsourced ones.

Frankly it's nearly as much work as doing it from scratch, and doing it from scratch with a consistent team will produce a better result.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
agila61 wrote:

No, they couldn't.

I don't accept jobs cleaning up other people's crappy subs, especially crowdsourced ones.

There's at least one set of them that they couldn't.

Quote:
Frankly it's nearly as much work as doing it from scratch, and doing it from scratch with a consistent team will produce a better result.

I have not doubt regarding the latter. I'm skeptical regarding the former.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
samuelp wrote:

I'm skeptical regarding the former.

It’s actually fairly common. In many cases, the disruption to your workflow of having to reconcile the "correct" result with the existing one is not worth the time saved by having a placeholder. Outsourcing for the sake of outsourcing rarely yields anywhere near the results of a well-planned segregation of work.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:40 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
agila61 wrote:
samuelp wrote:

I'm skeptical regarding the former.

It’s actually fairly common. In many cases, the disruption to your workflow of having to reconcile the "correct" result with the existing one is not worth the time saved by having a placeholder. Outsourcing for the sake of outsourcing rarely yields anywhere near the results of a well-planned segregation of work.

The "disruption to your workflow" is an excellent way of expressing the basis of my skepticism ~ a disruptive innovation frequently entails a different workflow to best leverage.

You get what you pay for, and in mixed ad-stream / subscriber business models, its the subscribers that pay for the professional subtitling and the ad-stream viewers free ride off of that, In the catalog ad-streaming business model, the professional subtitling was funded by a previous release.

A crowdsourced translation is not likely to be the same quality as a professional team doing the job. However, a crowdsourced translation with a translation editor reading the scripts, making changes, and reporting changes back to the series team leader is also going to result in a higher quality crowdsourced translation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1