• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - SH Figuarts Kamen Rider Fourze and Effect Set

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Further, be advised that Fourze, despite being performed by human beings, is the best kids' anime running right now.

Definitely. Sentai/Kamen Rider is pretty much live-action anime anyway, and Fourze is pretty much your typical awesome shounen series. Gentaro's speeches on friendship and goals of becoming friends with every kid at his school make him an ideal shounen protagonist.

I especially loved the arcs where he got through to and befriended the stuck up cheerleader and jerk football quarterback bully. It's nice to see a series which has a lot of those 'high school superhero' cliches turn them upside down and do something completely different with them. Miu and Shun are probably my favorite examples of those archetypes given how they fleshed out and awesome they are, and how they go in depth and explain just why people might act that way.

But Yuuki and Tomoko is still the best characters. Both of them are adorable and hilarious, and Tomoko makes a cute couple with Ryusei.
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:42 am Reply with quote
Woo! Fourze is awesome! Cant wait to see more like this! -fingers crossed-
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:48 am Reply with quote
Seeing how ANN often has articles about tokusatsu shows, I see no reason why Astro Toy can't review more Kamen Rider/Super Sentai figures.
daoutlaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also disappointing: the trigger-like appendage that Gentarou pulls to transform on the show is immobile

It's not immobile. It's actually on a ball-joint, so you can move it front and back.

Quote:
The lack of extra hands is also dismaying for a character who's very expressive even in a full-body suit.

They're not sold separately, and you don't really need them. Rarely does Gentaro ever do hand-shake in-suit (most of time, hand-shakes are done out of suit). In this case, I think you're asking too much.
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote
I've been eyeing the Figuarts Fourze, and now you've got me pretty interested in getting it. It's a shame the extra sets are so pricey though, I feel like I've gotta catch 'em all or something.

I hope you do more sentai/KR stuff in the future!
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
I'll vote for yes on more Toku stuff (GARO, especially, those suits are gorgeous)!

Also, if you're only finding the Fourze Driver for $200, you're not looking very hard. Even on E-bay, the only Driver going for that much is the W Driver (*grumble*). And the massively overpriced booth at Sakura-Con ($160 to pre-order the new W Driver release? Really? When all the other sites have it for well under $100? And $90 for the Legend Mobirates?) didn't even have it going for $200 (though I don't know what it was going for, I'm a W girl myself).
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
Dammit, making me regret not picking one up last month, but I have to agree, the weapon kits make it a tad insane in price.

I'll second more coverage of this ilk, but not all series are as awesome as fourze Wink
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I'll vote for yes on more Toku stuff (GARO, especially, those suits are gorgeous)!

Also, if you're only finding the Fourze Driver for $200, you're not looking very hard. Even on E-bay, the only Driver going for that much is the W Driver (*grumble*). And the massively overpriced booth at Sakura-Con ($160 to pre-order the new W Driver release? Really? When all the other sites have it for well under $100? And $90 for the Legend Mobirates?) didn't even have it going for $200 (though I don't know what it was going for, I'm a W girl myself).

Oh, I saw that price at a con. I figure the real price is more like 100-120, but someone really was selling it for that...

(and Astro Switches and Ranger Keys for $15 a pop)
vermilionone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Great review, I've been thinking about picking up the KR figuarts guys but man I wish the yen conversion was what it was seven years ago, I was getting huge boxes of figures on minimum wage.

I'm also tossing in my vote to cover tokusatsu stuff. It's a huge part of the toy industry and it seems like you might have a better good figure ratio.
AgitoZ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't post in the Astro Toy threads, but if it means more Toku love than so be it. Here's hoping for more.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm a definite yes, though you'll have to see how many people post in the topic and what kinds of people post in it. People who DON'T care to see more tokusatsu figures are probably not even going to bother reading anything in the first place. Especially since, to the mainstream (and even to some Kamen Rider fans), Fourze looks completely ridiculous!

On that note, I love it. Not enough to warrant a figure, but enough to wish I could afford to buy the series when I can't catch it on TV.
I still don't know how the heck "Jake" joined the group... Wikis barely help. Can anyone explain, please?
daoutlaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
On that note, I love it. Not enough to warrant a figure, but enough to wish I could afford to buy the series when I can't catch it on TV.
I still don't know how the heck "Jake" joined the group... Wikis barely help. Can anyone explain, please?

JK or 'Jake' joined as form of atonement. Because he screwed around with people that wanted to be his friend (including Gentaro and Unicorn Zodiart, who was his ex-friend), he had no friends who could help him out when he was held hostage by Unicorn Zodiart. Gen saved him, despite being used by him before, and that was key moment for Fourze to be able to use Elec State (to accept the pain-in-the-ass switch, much like how Gentaro accepts JK and his flaws). After defeating Unicorn Zodiart, Gentaro more or less forced JK to join Kamen Rider Club to make up for his past mistakes, and utilize his intel ability.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
@daoutlaw:

It probably would be good to put spoiler tags over that for others, but thank you.
Still, either your explanation doesn't capture some kind of emotional engagement or Jake really is that emotionally un-engaged...
He feels far too point-blank simple if he didn't really change much after that... even though it seems like he has, or they didn't do much with his original self. Hmm...
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I've always read Astro Toy as a Japanese toy article, not an anime toy article so I don't have a problem seeing more Tokusatsu stuff in the mix.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
@daoutlaw:

It probably would be good to put spoiler tags over that for others, but thank you.
Still, either your explanation doesn't capture some kind of emotional engagement or Jake really is that emotionally un-engaged...
He feels far too point-blank simple if he didn't really change much after that... even though it seems like he has, or they didn't do much with his original self. Hmm...

I'm not sure that something that happened in episode... 6? 8?... counts as spoilers. Not when there's over 30 episodes so far, and the seven members of the KRC were clearly shown in the opening even before that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2