• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Medaka Box TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Was kinda expecting FUNi to pick this up. Regardless, I've enjoyed it so far. Hopefully I still will when it's released.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
And so it slowly begins. Bring it on Sentai im totally ready for a Licence haul just like last time.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised at all it was licensed by sentai due to the ranting on Japanese blogs, 2/4chan about medaka being to perfect "mary-sue" character. I don't see the series making over 3000 per volume in japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Given the limited streaming area CR had for it, I assumed Sentai had nabbed it. I'm also hoping they nabbed Dusk Maiden of Amnesia.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Hyouka next please!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Cool. I'm liking this show so far. Can't wait to see Medaka in spoiler[her puppy outfit] on my bigscreen.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Shut up and take my money!!

Didn't expect them to get this though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
As A Gainax fan I will most deffinantly add this to my list of titles to pick up once its released. But honestly i've heard mixed reactions about the quality of the show. Oh well guess like Shangri-La this will be another wait & see for myself situation.

Although I must say some of the character designs seem abit off to me, that girl in the front, my lord, how does her spine not snap from all that weight in the front!?

On a more serious note though, always glad to see companies pick up new titles, keep the announcements coming Sentai, good to see your good and healthy! *knock on wood for good luck.*
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Not surprised at all it was licensed by sentai due to the ranting on Japanese blogs, 2/4chan about medaka being to perfect "mary-sue" character. I don't see the series making over 3000 per volume in japan.

Here's the scoop. The manga was VERY unpopular when it began. It was close to being canceled. So, they changed genres, and not it's very popular. The anime has not yet reached that point. I'm guessing around episode 6, since I think they want to get there as fast as possible.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Here's the scoop. The manga was VERY unpopular when it began. It was close to being canceled. So, they changed genres, and not it's very popular. The anime has not yet reached that point. I'm guessing around episode 6, since I think they want to get there as fast as possible.

Yes I know that much but you can base an 26 anime on 20 chapters alone if you do filler here or there but it's gainax who knows how long it will take and I don't see it selling well. The problem is it took 50 chapters to get to that level or switch that's a huge amount of material to cover in 6 epiosdes alone but who knows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Nice to know.

I wish Sentai would license Nichijou, even if it's sub only. Right now, Bandai still holds the license, but since they're not releasing anime stateside anymore, they're literally sitting on it.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

Right now, Bandai still holds the license, but since they're not releasing anime stateside anymore, they're literally sitting on it.

That license reverted back to the JP license holder.
So right now, it's up for grabs.

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/bandai_downsizing_ken_iyadomi_interview

Quote:
Three series that were announced last year, including Turn A Gundam, My Ordinary Life (Nichijō) and Gosick, will not be released and their rights will revert back to their licensors.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
So Sentai is pretty much licensing EVERYTHING for this season, like the past few. One of these days there is going to be a tsunami of releases from them around the same time.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Well that cool they got anther one
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Stilll, it's quite enlightening to see how much the Medaka anime is struggling as far as pre-orders go. Pretty evident to see now that otaku buy Bake/Nise for SHAFT. They're not going to buy every Nisioisin adaptation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3