• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Announces DVD Release of Saint Seiya Movies

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this will be similiar to what they did with FofNS or their Matsumodo properties, where they licenced the movies in part to gauge interest in licencing their associated series.

They are just busy little bees over at Discotek, aren't they?
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Discotek, all my money, I give to you!

Seriously these guys, are like...my favorite company right now.

Oh how they make me joyesly nerd out. Laughing Cool Very Happy
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Brainchild129 wrote:
I wonder if this will be similiar to what they did with FofNS or their Matsumodo properties, where they licenced the movies in part to gauge interest in licencing their associated series.

They are just busy little bees over at Discotek, aren't they?

That's what I'm thinking, too. And I'm going to guess that the fifth movie, Tenkai-hen, was not included because of how it's not newbie-friendly.

Well, naturally, I'll be buying this and hoping that this leads to more Kurumada animes from Discotek. Not just more Saint Seiya, but B't X (a proper release, this time), Ring ni Kakero 1, & Fuma no Kojirou.
odysseus08

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I can finally die happy now. These movies are the only reason why Saint Seiya is my favorite anime of all time!!
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Dammit, Discotek, quit hogging the awesome.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Dammit, Discotek, quit hogging the awesome.

Yup, that big, well-staffed, massively-funded company known as Discotek just dominates the US anime industry and lets no-one else get licenses... ^^;
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
smart timing on their part with omega just starting to stream this season, this is the best time to grab the easy money
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Heck yeah! I've always wanted to own these movies.
I would have liked if they included the spanish dub since that's how I first saw them Anime hyper
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
NOOOOOOOOO! I was worried Discotek would get Saint Seiya... I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want to finish the franchise in English! ADV's English dub wasn't the best, but it's what I've been used to for 60+ episodes, and I would like to at least finish the whole franchise in my language. It's not fair that many countries around the world have this franchise successfully dubbed into their own languages, and we're stuck with Japanese for most of it. I love Discotek to death for licensing Lupin III and Space Adventure Cobra but Saint Seiya does not warrant a subtitled-only release. ADV's billingual DVDs were very successful (the only reason ADV didn't continue was because they could only release what DiC had sub-licensed to them, and the DiC deal went belly-up when the crappy "Knights of the Zodiac" dub briefly hit US screens, and was screwed by Carton Network). I think with the proper promotion, this franchise could still be a big hit in the states, ESPECIALLY with the new seasons coming out. Anime companies should really think twice before slapping an anime on a subtitled-only disc, and calling it a day. No, not every anime warrants a billingual release, but I definitely think Saint Seiya could be very successful with one. Just my thought!
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I suppose this is relatively good news, but I can't really get too excited about it. Even back when I used to be a huge Saint Seiya fan, which hasn't been the case for several years...I thought that only Legend of Crimson Youth, the third movie, had any lasting value.

It had the best production values, including a great soundtrack, and the story was at least slightly interesting at the time, especially considering that the Hades arc hadn't been adapted into animation yet. Now, I'm guessing that the central plot gimmick may tend to seem a bit...well, played out. Then again, Saint Seiya as a whole also fits that description. Laughing

The others aren't necessarily bad, with the possible exception of Warriors of the Final Holy Battle being most certainly a waste of time, but I didn't see any particular reason to watch the bulk of these films more than once. But I suppose that if these movies do well...then maybe it wouldn't be out of the question to release the rest of the TV series. Who knows?
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Man, Diskotek has steadily been getting quite the interesting licenses haven't they? I wonder if they will consider bringing the rest of the series over as well.

And since they seem to have a thing going with Toei...Digimon dub dvds, pretty pretty please? I swear I'll preorder every one.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
NOOOOOOOOO! I was worried Discotek would get Saint Seiya... I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want to finish the franchise in English! ADV's English dub wasn't the best, but it's what I've been used to for 60+ episodes, and I would like to at least finish the whole franchise in my language. It's not fair that many countries around the world have this franchise successfully dubbed into their own languages, and we're stuck with Japanese for most of it. I love Discotek to death for licensing Lupin III and Space Adventure Cobra but Saint Seiya does not warrant a subtitled-only release. ADV's billingual DVDs were very successful (the only reason ADV didn't continue was because they could only release what DiC had sub-licensed to them, and the DiC deal went belly-up when the crappy "Knights of the Zodiac" dub briefly hit US screens, and was screwed by Carton Network). I think with the proper promotion, this franchise could still be a big hit in the states, ESPECIALLY with the new seasons coming out. Anime companies should really think twice before slapping an anime on a subtitled-only disc, and calling it a day. No, not every anime warrants a billingual release, but I definitely think Saint Seiya could be very successful with one. Just my thought!

If Discotek picks up the TV series, the first 60 episodes would probably include the dub. They did that with Fist of the North Star after all. It would be extremely unlikely that anyone would pick up the dub where it left off.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Not sure why anyone thinks the Saint Seiya anime was a hit. ADV was giving away boxsets at one AX panel.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I just watched my Hope Meter rise several percentage points. This is definitely a step in the right direction of where I want Saint Seiya to go! I'm not as huge a fan of the movies as I am of the main series, but I still enjoy them, and I'm looking forward to being able to see them with an English translation I can actually understand.

Now...now all we need a re-release on the entire main series... I want DVD releases of eps 61+ soooooo bad, especially Hades. I better go pray to my Gemini Saga Myth EX Cloth figure again, just for added insurance. (Did I just show my geekness?)

And while I'm making wishes...can we get a third season of Lost Canvas? Please? Very Happy Please?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If Discotek picks up the TV series, the first 60 episodes would probably include the dub. They did that with Fist of the North Star after all. It would be extremely unlikely that anyone would pick up the dub where it left off.

Yeah, I know they would reissue what's already out there, but this isn't like FOTNS. That series had issues with the soundtrack not having a music and effects track (explaining why Manga Entertainment was forced to re-score the entire background music for their English dub). For Saint Seiya, that's not an issue. Besides, I can't see what would be so hard about dubbing three 45 minute short films, and one feature length film to at least test the waters on a billingual release, and give it a fair shot (similar to what Sentai's doing with Gintama). ADV dubbed more than half of the Saint Seiya anime (unlike FOTNS, which had over 70 episodes remaining undubbed). We still have 54 episodes left of the original anime to be dubbed into English. I have confidence that they will be completed EVENTUALLY. I've been hoping Sentai rescues the series (since ADV was interested in outright licensing the property shortly before their re-branding), and finish the English dub with mostly the same cast, but at this point, I don't care if the cast is 100% intact (if at all), I've just been hoping the dang thing gets finished (or in a perfect world, totally restarted from scratch, since ADV's dub wasn't perfect, but I can easily deal with it if I have to, since it was adequate enough, and it grew on me).

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2