• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Brave10 Episodes 7-12 streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Sasuke having feelings for Isanami? Not really. He started having obvious feelings for Anastasia.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much agree with the reviewer here. It was a cheesy shonen show that had pretty art and better animation then it had right to be for the type of show it is. It was a fun right but nothing all that great. By the end the show just rushes ahead to try to make a clear ending but then leaves it open for a possible continuation for another season. Over all this show just was not sure where it was going. It had good elements of what could have been a good Shonen series. I liked it a lot better then others shows of it's type, and the good animation really made this show but at the end just fell flat on it's face.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Started out nice. Was expecting some good battle, but in the last few episode it got so involved with the "plot" it forgot how to do anything else. Also, they made Hanzo so much more powerful then anyone else that they had no actual way of killing him off without DEM.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Definitely agreed with the score for story here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Isanami was so damn annoying!
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with this review. Brave10 ended up being my guilty pleasure of its season - something that didn't require a lot of thought from me but was pretty to look at. I even found myself growing attached to Kamanosuke (I would totally buy a doujinshi featuring him). The problem, however, is that throughout all 12 episodes of Brave10 I could feel it building up to something, laying a foundation for a story and then.... 12 episodes, done, poof, nada. Sure, the plot with Isanami was entertaining, but it felt more like a prologue than a finale. The series makes a rather big deal of gathering 10 warriors, each apparently representative of a certain element, all supposed to protect Isanami, and in the end 8.5 of the 10 get completely shunted and left to deal with lackeys.

Brave10 could benefit from a second season, perhaps one dealing more with Masamune Date (the one that the series seems to set up as the antagonist and then forgets about right until the last 5 minutes) and giving the 10 an actual *purpose*. Otherwise, this show gets firmly placed in my Fluff category. I'll watch it for the pretty art, unrealistic clothing, and yaoi potential (I'm looking at you, Kamanosuke), but it'll be the kind of show that I'll rewatch while I'm doing about three other things.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

as is most females in anime are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

as is most females in anime are.

No this goes beyond your typical annoying anime girl. Also, the other females in the Brave10 are far better than her.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Aynslesa wrote:
Brave10 ended up being my guilty pleasure of its season - something that didn't require a lot of thought from me but was pretty to look at...The series makes a rather big deal of gathering 10 warriors, each apparently representative of a certain element, all supposed to protect Isanami, and in the end 8.5 of the 10 get completely shunted and left to deal with lackeys.

Very nicely said. I should have mentioned that last bit in my review - it was a real detraction. Why spend most of the show gathering them if you're not going to let them play? My non-reviewer self enjoyed this in the same way I liked UtaPri and the way I'm watching this season's Hiiro no Kakera - fun for my less with it moments or when I've graded too many papers. That said, I did think it was good how spoiler[Isanami represented dark while Saizo was light, which I just couldn't get into the review without spoiler tags, damnit, even if her name was a dead giveaway.]

Oh, and Aynslesa, I have a question for you - spoiler[ do you think those scenes with Kamanosuke as a woman were fantasy, or the truth about his/her past?] I'm a bit torn, myself.

I will agree with dragon695 about Isanami, though - she was more irritating than your average perky anime heroine.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
I for one had a lot of fun with Brave10. I didn't really care about the plot much...just watched it for kawaii Isanami...yes, I LOVE ISANAMI!

And the cute guys were just so much fun!
Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1