• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Spring The Pain

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macloud

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
first thing comes to mind - isnt this podcast usually out on late Friday - early Saturday? [going by Uk GMT at least]
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Zac took a spontaneous twitter vote because it was finished early and people voted to just post it now.
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Great show I had to crack up quite a few times Anime hyper Polar Bear cafe is indeed made for older women, so correct Justin! LMAO I wish i could listen to this on the radio! Awesome job! Too bad you guys didn't see Tsuritama one of the best Smile

As for animation most notable would be Kyoto animation to add to the list. They have really beautiful animation, colours and movement.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo: "A show about some guy who can't stop jacking off with a kitchen spatula"

Justin: To this day I find dancer thighs amazing

Smile Very Happy Surprised Laughing

Last edited by Shenl742 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
bednorz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
That was a fun show.
Everything was probably already said about MGX and thus I hate to mention it, but...
Calling it a body horror? Come on, it's a surreal rom-com.

Can't wait for Revenge of the 90s. I have my boombox and garish jumpsuit ready.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
yeah there is a lot s*** being simulcast this season with a total of twenty two new titles...bleh. Well it's nice to hear zac, bamboo and justin optimistic about this season maybe I'm just to tired to care about any new series at this point any-more.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
That was an awesome show!

Gotta say no mention of Big Trouble in Little China for best 80s movies was a little sad. Have you paid your dues Zac!?

Gotta say I agree with all of those picks for the disney movies. Though i think that Hunch Back of Notre Dame is amazing at least in how beautiful that movie is.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh Fashion Lala, I'm so happy more people are watching it, even if you didn't like it Anime hyper

I still love that OAV, even though I know its awful, its just so cheesy 80s and girly, its wonderful to me.

though the "love interest" dude, Kit, going into terrorist mode I always skip through. because it just really comes out of no where.

wierdly enough, Fashion Lala was based on activity books for girls (I own one of the coloring books actually) that lasted from 1986 all the way up till 1990 (With the OAV being from '88) and I think Studio Pierrot animated the commercials too (?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2zim5nWrnM . and, atleast in the book I have, Kit's not even in them. So I'm gonna guess he wasn't that popular with the kids.

in any case, I hope you write that Buried Garbage column about it Justin!

---------

Surprised no one mentioned Tsuritama from the spring season. I ended up liking that 1st episode alot.

but yeah, aside from that and the obvious things to watch like Kids on the Slope and Lupin, I'm not really excited about any of the new shows this season.
I was looking forward to the new Saint Seiya, since its basically a Magical Girl series, only with overdramatic dudes and alot of punching, but even that was kinda "meh" to me too.(please don't hurt me South America) still watching it though for some reason (its that new rendition of the "Pegasus Fantasy" song I think)

----
but yeah. fun episode this time guys Very Happy I was having a kinda crummy day, so this cheered me up, thanks!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Look at Countdown Anime, Polar Bear Cafe seems to start a block of shows on Thursdays that include Sket Dance, Pokemon B&W, and Naruto Shippuden.

It's the lead-in to the mainstream of the mainstream.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
-Even though Justin says that Major takes place "now", the original manga did start in the 90s, so maybe back then the idea of the father dying in a baseball game didn't seem quite as ridiculous. Anyway, I remember my friends really enjoying Major, though I think it was in a "It gets better and better as it goes on", though one of my friends felt that Season 6 was partially "filler-ish", since Major was more about the characters and their lives than just strictly baseball games, which is was the last season apparently focuses more on.

-I think the main reason why Saint Seiya Omega hasn't been getting quite polarized reactions yet is because it's so different from the original show. Kohga is somewhat emo where Seiya was determined, the cloths come from stones Saints wera instead of the big boxes that Saints carry, and the art style of pretty different from Kurumada's style (especially since the show obviously has that "we're keeping the budget a little lower since we'll be saving most of it for the big fights" mentality). From what I've been seeing in regards to English-speaking Seiya fans, the general reaction is "It isn't quite what I was expecting, and it's nowhere near as good as the original story, but I guess I'll keep an open mind for now". Omega is definitely a different beast from Kurumada's original creation, and I think most fans are trying to keep an open mind right now, which is why you aren't getting the "Saint Seiya is the greatest anime ever!" reaction right now.

-Flashdance, huh? So I guess Justin is a maaaniac, maaaaaaaniac, on the floor? And he's dancing like he's never danced before?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I think Red Letter media put it best when they stated that James Cameron is mainly concerned with manipulating an audience's emotions instead of actually trying to tell a story. I saw that with Titanic, and that's why I have never bothered to watch Avatar.

Why is Zac pointing out how much Titanic made? Shawshank Redemption was a flop and only became appreciated a few years after it was made.

There has been two players who died during a major league baseball game the person who died from getting hit by a bean ball was Ray Chapman who died in 1920. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Chapman

I should point out that Joe Gibson is actually well developed as his crushed by the death of Goro's father and wants to do anything to atone for it.

The Sengoku era is a fascinating era with a lot of colorful personality. Its the Japanese equivalent to the American Civil War(something that actually needs to be mined more), and the Three Kingdoms Era.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The Sengoku era is a fascinating era with a lot of colorful personality. Its the Japanese equivalent to the American Civil War(something that actually needs to be mined more), and the Three Kingdoms Era.

I nominally agree, but I can't help thinking that all we'd get in the end is Abraham Lincoln with boobs and moe Ambrose Burnside with... interesting pubic hair.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

I nominally agree, but I can't help thinking that all we'd get in the end is Abraham Lincoln with boobs and moe Ambrose Burnside with... interesting pubic hair.

O you could go with the Dynasty Warriors style, and have the Union & Confederate generals be hyper-stylized... Or, hell, go the Sengoku Basara route and just crazy with it.

Think of the likes of Ulysses S. Grant, Stonewall Jackson, and Robert E. Lee reimagined in the crazy stylings of Sengoku Basara...
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
As far as what Justin was bringing up about people dying in baseball games:

Base coaches now wear helmets because a minor league coach was killed by a line drive that hit him in the head.
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

O you could go with the Dynasty Warriors style, and have the Union & Confederate generals be hyper-stylized... Or, hell, go the Sengoku Basara route and just crazy with it.

Think of the likes of Ulysses S. Grant, Stonewall Jackson, and Robert E. Lee reimagined in the crazy stylings of Sengoku Basara...
Zac and Justin already pitched that, I think during the holiday episode. Wink

I like how even after declaring a moratorium on MGX, they still managed to sidetrack back into it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 15