• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Heaven's Lost Property Site Skin

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
"Skin" is right.

Jeeze. I know sex sells Funimation, but this isn't Sankaku Complex or something.

I shouldn't be embarrassed to check out ANN while in class.

Is this a ploy to get me to become a subscriber so I can have a permanently vanilla skin? Laughing
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Click on 'My ANN' tab in the upper right corner.

Select 'skins'.

Select another skin.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Select 'skins'.

Select another skin.

I knew the option was there but couldn't remember if you could actually have your skin selection saved. That does seem to be the case now. Thanks!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Zac wrote:

Select 'skins'.

Select another skin.

I knew the option was there but couldn't remember if you could actually have your skin selection saved. That does seem to be the case now. Thanks!

Only subscribers have that option to save skin (at least that was the case when I first became a subscriber years ago.) I haven't even looked at the skin theme button in years as I set my skin to ANN 2006 when I first became a subscriber and haven't changed the theme since.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Select 'skins'.

Select another skin.

But Tempest EXPLICITLY said that no advertisements would be accepted for the frontpage that were over PG. I'm sorry, but this is most certainly over PG and enough to get people in trouble at their workplace, even if it is just catching up on their break time. I'm not a prude, but I would have just as much problem if it were a huge crotch shot of a guy's outlined erection. Also, not everybody knows it is going to be there until it is too late. Has Tempest decided not to bother to enforce any editorial standards over what sort of ads are being displayed now?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:37 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Also, not everybody knows it is going to be there until it is too late.

Agreed. The issue is not that I have to look at this skin whenever I'm on ANN. I can change it. That's fine. The issue is that I still have this stuff popping up every time I go here before I log in. I get kinda tired of opening up ANN in a public place and suddenly having to scramble because the new skin is ridiculously NSFW.

There are other problems as well. I mean, for instance, last week I linked to an ANN article in a discussion for a class. Really really regretting that now given the new skin.

I understand that ANN is in a tough spot. Being an anime site means you're gonna advertise anime and a whole of of anime is sold on sex appeal. But come on man. The main reason I come to ANN is because it is a classy, professional site unlike 95% of the other sites out there. Ads like these really contradict that.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:49 am Reply with quote

Select 'skins'.

Select another skin.

ikillchicken wrote:
the new skin is ridiculously NSFW.

It's some cleavage. It's PG-13 at most. You will live through this, I promise.

If it sounds like I'm being flip about this, it's because you guys are being melodramatic.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Select 'skins'.

Select another skin.

Stop being obtuse. dragon695 and I just explained why that hardly solves the issue. If your response to our complaint is "too bad" or "it's no big deal" then fine but please stop pretending like you've already solved our problem.

Quote:
If it sounds like I'm being flip about this, it's because you guys are being melodramatic.

No Zac. I think I was perfectly polite and reasonable. You're just being unprofessional.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:32 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

No Zac. I think I was perfectly polite and reasonable. You're just being unprofessional.

I have absolutely no control over the ads, nor am I consulted about their content. I'm responding to you because I feel like you aren't being very reasonable about it, and that you've been here long enough to know that we have these sorts of ads once in a blue moon. I don't get why you're complaining about it like it's a huge systemic issue that needs to be handled in macro.

You have the option of changing it. Most of these skins last for 2-3 days anyway, tops.

That is why I think you're being melodramatic.

Thanks for the "unprofessional" thing. I'll be sure to talk to you, a guy I've known around here for years, whose intelligence I respect, with nothing but meaningless platitudes or silence from here on out.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I don't get why you're complaining about it like it's a huge systemic issue that needs to be handled in macro.

Oh, I don't think it is. (If I gave that impression it was unintentional). This is sort of my point though. As you said, I've been here a long time and it does seem like ANN has ads like these from time to time. It is not just this one isolated case.

Now, it's not like it happens every other week or anything of course. Just now and then, infrequently. In fact though, in some ways that's part of the problem. I see no reason to look over my shoulder before going to ANN. Hence, it can be awkward when, on one of those infrequent occasions ANN does go with a more risque skin.

It's not the end of the world or anything. I just wish ANN would cut those few risque ones out entirely.

Quote:
I have absolutely no control over the ads, nor am I consulted about their content.

Ah okay. Well if nothing else then unprofessional is the wrong word.

Quote:
I'll be sure to talk to you, a guy I've known around here for years, whose intelligence I respect with nothing but meaningless platitudes or silence from here on out.

Hang on now. I certainly don't want that. There's a whole middle ground between being silent and being rude.

For example:

This...
"I'm responding to you because I feel like you aren't being very reasonable about it, and that you've been here long enough to know that we have these sorts of ads once in a blue moon. I don't get why you're complaining about it like it's a huge systemic issue that needs to be handled in macro. You have the option of changing it. Most of these skins last for 2-3 days anyway, tops. That is why I think you're being melodramatic."
...seems like a perfectly fair thing to say.

By all means tell me if you feel I'm being unreasonable. I just don't think you need to be so immediately condescending about it. (ie. "You will live through this, I promise.") Take it from me, a guy who is certainly guilty of being needlessly inflammatory sometimes as well. You don't need to do this to speak your mind.
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:59 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

I have absolutely no control over the ads, nor am I consulted about their content. I'm responding to you because I feel like you aren't being very reasonable about it, and that you've been here long enough to know that we have these sorts of ads once in a blue moon. I don't get why you're complaining about it like it's a huge systemic issue that needs to be handled in macro.

Look, I know you're getting it from all sides, I was simply hoping that Chris would comment on the issue since he mentioned in one of the Handley talkback threads that all ads on ANN were strictly required to be PG. Anyway, I'm not going to belabor the point since you and I know perfectly well that boobie shows sell and that is what Funimation is all about. I'll just have to be more careful/warn others on days I know there might be a problem.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote
Don't make it sound like Christopher MacDonald broke some kind of promise. That ad is PG in that there is no nudity or representation of sexual content. Is the ad SFW? No, but not all PG ads are going to be safe for work. What YOU personally consider PG is irrelevant, in this context. I assume what Christopher meant is there would be no ads for hentai titles, no ads showing nudity and no ads showing sexual content. Breasts - even large ones - that are covered are not non-PG except in Bible Belt hell-holes like South Carolina. Most workplaces discourage surfing of non-work-related internet sites, in any case.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote
I'll play devil's advocate here:

Blood- wrote:
What YOU personally consider PG is irrelevant, in this context.

Might as well back that up with the actual definition:

PG Rating wrote:
PG movies do not contain depictions of illegal drug use, but may contain some profanity, violence and brief non-sexual nudity.

I'd say a picture of a girl in a bikini is less severe than "brief non-sexual nudity." Possibly the entirety of that anime, in which her boobs probably bounce a lot, would be less acceptable; however: that's not what is being shown here.

To back ikillchicken up:

ikillchicken wrote:
There are other problems as well. I mean, for instance, last week I linked to an ANN article in a discussion for a class. Really really regretting that now given the new skin.

I completely agree with him on that one. At work if someone's boss sees it, you could just say it's a stupid ad and most bosses would be content with that (you see far worse ads all the time if you don't have AdBlock). However, in class, most teachers/professors find a nice a picture like that to be less than acceptable and could hurt the credibility of the site that has nice pictures of barely clad girls.

However, your remark about Zac's professionalism was unwarranted. As I've already stated in this post: this skin is not even close to "ridiculously NSFW." It may be considered NSFW for some people, but what constitutes "ridiculously"? I can think of some pictures that would suit that description far better. Wink

dragon695 wrote:
But Tempest EXPLICITLY said that no advertisements would be accepted for the frontpage that were over PG. I'm sorry, but this is most certainly over PG and enough to get people in trouble at their workplace, even if it is just catching up on their break time. I'm not a prude, but I would have just as much problem if it were a huge crotch shot of a guy's outlined erection. Also, not everybody knows it is going to be there until it is too late. Has Tempest decided not to bother to enforce any editorial standards over what sort of ads are being displayed now?

That seems like an attack on Tempest and entirely deserving of Zac's response about being melodramatic. As Blood- and I have already stated: it is arguably PG.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
To be completely fair, tempest did say that it was a Canadian PG rating, not an American PG. Elsewhere, he used the American PG-13 rating as a standard for ads. With that in mind, the ad fits the standards tempest laid out beforehand.

For my $0.02, the ad was a bit embarrassing to have if you were in a public space (I opened up the site at the library yesterday), but I didn't get too worked up about it. My only complaint was that the site at the time was loading pretty slowly, so it took a long time to log in and to change the skin.

EDIT:maybe I'm not one to talk given my avatar, however fuzzy looking it might be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Considering that the skin theme can easily be changed within a matter of seconds (This only took me all of 3 seconds) and the fact the image wasn't that bad, this doesn't seem to that big of a issue.

As Blood- stated, this isn't as if Chirs broke any promises. The advertisement was PG rated and while maybe this 100% safe for work offices, but it's physically impossible for every advertisement that is rated PG to be safe for work. As any ad could be seen as offensive if looked at that way. Even ANN 2006 or 2010 could be seen as offensive if made out to be.

But I have to ask, considering ANN likely isn't a work related website for the majority of jobs, I would figure most companies would discourage going non work websites such as this site. Now if your on a lunch break or something, that might be another story, but even then, I am not sure I'd come here during that time.

Now if for some reason your on a lunch break at work or at library/public area where computers are, I am sure if you just explain that it's just a advertisement and that you had no idea said advertisement would be there, most people would understand and probably drop the subject there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3