• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Plans Sale of Major Yu-Gi-Oh! Assets to Firm Tied to Saban

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
Well, this headline honestly had me laughing.

Not that I have anything against 'em (either, it seems) but I still find it amusing that people give Saban as much love as they do, after all, 4kids Entertainment is pretty much Saban Entertainment's spiritual successor in a way.

I wouldn't worry too much about 4kids though; they seem to still have money left in cats and dogs.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote
What? Yugioh will be sold to Saban who will probably continue to release it as an edited, westernized show targeted at little kids? Inconceivable.

Why, you would almost think that Yugioh was a kids show and this is the only sensible way to market it in the US. Of course, that's just crazy.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:49 am Reply with quote
personally, I think adults should stop playing with yugioh cards unless they come out with a PC version.

that 3dGX crap or whatever makes me want to hurl. One of the most horrible shows I ever saw'd and I wish I hadn't.

saban though, I like them.

Go Go power rangers! That revolutionized sentai rangers for the western world. I dont know what they plan to do with this license though.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
BTW, "Saban Moon" was actually made by Toon Makers. Saban has never had anything to do with the Sailor Moon franchise. Toon Makers did a one episode pilot, but Toei declined their concept since DiC's idea of dubbing and reversionizing the original Japanese footage itself was FAAAAAAAR cheaper than making a whole live action series mixed with all new animation.

Plus the concept involved Mercury as a cripple.
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:56 am Reply with quote
kaiser11492 wrote:
why are we complaining about 4kids selling off Yu-Gi-Oh!? in my opinion, this is great news. i like the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime and to see the dub being mistreated and butchered just disgusts me. 4kids has proven itself to be incapable of working with most anime. now another company will have a shot at working with Yu-Gi-Oh!.

also if Saban gets the franchise, then that wouldn't be too bad. Saban makes more changes to their shows than companies such as FUNimation and Viz Media, but 4kids' edits are more extreme than Saban's. i have watched Digimon (season 1-3), which was dubbed by Saban, and Digimon in my opinion was close to the original material. even with changes, the series was still tolerable and enjoyable. Digimon did edit some of the dialogue and scenes, however they still acknowledged things such as death, kept the overall plot intact, and they kept most of the Japanese names intact. basically i'm saying that when compared to 4kids' editing, Saban is pretty loose and soft.

KidsCo needs to be broadcasted if 4kids sells Yu-Gi-Oh! as a cable channel and not Saban Brands then imagine it would like if the UK Nicktoons playing Yu-Gi-Oh! with saban would be like Winx Club.

ikillchicken wrote:
What? Yugioh will be sold to Saban who will probably continue to release it as an edited, westernized show targeted at little kids? Inconceivable.

Why, you would almost think that Yugioh was a kids show and this is the only sensible way to market it in the US. Of course, that's just crazy.

agreed there. enough with 4kids version of Yu-Gi-Oh! opening it needs OP song like Voice and ED song like Energizing Shower and not It's time to D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-DUEL! so Kids WB. lol

potatochobit wrote:
saban though, I like them.

Go Go power rangers! That revolutionized sentai rangers for the western world. I don't know what they plan to do with this license though.

sigh, that reminds me of how I missing other tokusatsu like ryukendo, new kamen riders and ultramans but still power rangers wow I never feel this bad after fox kids to disney (JETIX) to nick after 20 seasons and what's missing is miracle force. btw why not a spanish dub on Telefutura also that would be hilarious.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:16 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Yeah there are certain anime that would only work with very accurate dubs (Fullmetal Alchemist, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Akira, etc), but for a fun show like Samurai Pizza Cats, you're only watching to have a good time!

So basically "if it's a show I like, it needs a proper dub, but for a show I don't, it can be butchered for all I care". That stance only works until it's a show you like that gets the treatment, then it falls apart. If I don't like Fullmetal Alchemist, then I can say it should have a gutted dub and no one but fanboys would care. I watch anime to have fun, it's a fun show, so mess it up. That's basically what you're saying now.

See, everyone's just fine with saying One Piece or Yu-Gi-Oh are awful dubs, but as soon as it's SPC, it's "Oh no man, my childhood, that's horse crap" Despite there being zero difference.

Well go look on YouTube and see how many kids praise and love 4Kids One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh to death. That's their childhood. We know better because we didn't grow up on it and don't have nostalgic ties to it, but to them, they're doing the same thing as people who actually defend SPC.

Quote:
but many people seem to be just fine with what we've got. Of course, there's nothing wrong with liking the Japanese version either... whatever rocks your boat. People have different tastes. I just don't like it when people bash other people's opinions on this sort of subject and treat their own opinions as fact, when that's not the case (there's obviously no such thing as a "true" or "false" opinion).

Arguing against someone's nostalgia is always a losing battle, but that's not really factual evidence of anything either. What makes a bad dub then if not tons of edits, awful voice-acting, blatant disregard for the script, skipped episodes, gutted music, changed character personalities, and all that stuff? I don't see how it's much of an opinion. All these series suffer from it, but suddenly we're giving pardons to certain series based on arbitrary criteria?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:43 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
What makes a bad dub then if not tons of edits, awful voice-acting, blatant disregard for the script, skipped episodes, gutted music, changed character personalities, and all that stuff

Those things make a dub inaccurate. They don't automatically make it bad. A bad dub makes a show worse. Whether the wildly inaccurate dub of Pizza Cats makes it worse is indeed a matter of opinion.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:28 am Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
Saban? SABAN?

The "Our pitch for the Sailor Moon franchise is to completely re-make it as a live-action cartoon hybrid of Sabrina the teenage transforms into She-Ra and friends in space" Saban???

/)___(\ Oh my GOD 4Kids PLEASE just go away now....
I really wish people would stop saying Saban made that pilot. It's patently untrue and also ancient history regardless.

That said, anything that can potentially get Steve Blum et all more work is a OK by me.

And, hey, even the Masked Rider stuff gave us the Dub OST for Digimon which I remember being quite good. Not dood who did Sailor Moon great or anything but a good soundtrack regardless.
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:38 am Reply with quote
Vultures. Feeding on the carcass.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Vultures. Feeding on the carcass.
A fitting end, ne?
RazzBerrieCharm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
What th-I don't eve-

*headdesk
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:28 am Reply with quote
The thing about Power Rangers and Samurai Pizza Cats is that they aren't the same shows as their Japanese source. Power Rangers is just an American tokusatsu show that uses Super Sentai footage to cut costs(and from what I can tell, source accuracy inversely correlates with people liking it) while Samurai Pizza Cats only reused the footage with a completely original script because they didn't have a good translation. Neither attest to how Saban'd handle a Yu-Gi-Oh! dub.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
For the people that complain about Saban and how they handle Power Rangers. Did you forget that without Power Rangers, we wouldn't have known about Super Sentai. Also, Power Rangers went back to Japan it got redubbed, yes I'm not kidding Power Ranger being a Americanized version of Super Sentai went back to Japan and got redubbed in Japanese. So you see Japan didn't have any problem with how Saban handling Super Sentai into Power Rangers.

Also PurpleWarrior13 is correct, that Sailor Moon was not Saban's doing, it was a different company. Saban had nothing to do with Sailor Moon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Did you forget that without Power Rangers, we wouldn't have known about Super Sentai.

Correction - You wouldn't know about Super Sentai. There would be plenty of people in the "we" crowd who would know and watch tokusatsu series without their being a Power Rangers. So please let's not pretend that your arrogant little world is true for anyone else but you.

Last edited by ArsenicSteel on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
See, everyone's just fine with saying One Piece or Yu-Gi-Oh are awful dubs, but as soon as it's SPC, it's "Oh no man, my childhood, that's horse crap" Despite there being zero difference.

One Piece was fine to me and I've always thought people complaining about Yu-Gi-Oh were clowns.

I think of SPC like Shin Chan. Honestly though, SPC isn't as radically different as people make it out to be. It's not like there was hardcore bloody gory violence and full out cat sex that got removed. Even in Japan was a kid show aimed at like 6 year olds, just like the US version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5