• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Plans Sale of Major Yu-Gi-Oh! Assets to Firm Tied to Saban

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
Any company besides 4kids is fine with me. At least another company will have a chance with working with the show since 4kids has proven they are incapable of working with most anime (they bailed on Yu-Gi-Oh! twice!). Saban wouldn't be my first choice, but it will do. Not as good as FUNimation, but better than 4kids. As shown with Digimon, Saban at least acknowledged death, most Japan names, and the actual plot. I could actually watch and tolerate the Digimon dub, while 4kids' dubbing and editing makes me sick to my stomach.

ikillchicken wrote:
What? Yugioh will be sold to Saban who will probably continue to release it as an edited, westernized show targeted at little kids? Inconceivable.

Why, you would almost think that Yugioh was a kids show and this is the only sensible way to market it in the US. Of course, that's just crazy.

Here's a question i have. if making Yu-Gi-Oh! a kids show is the only way to market it, then how come it doesn't need edits elsewhere to market successfully? also, remember, who has more money to actually buy the cards, little kids or older teens? in fact, many of the Yu-Gi-Oh! card collectors and players i know are in their 20's.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
One Piece was fine to me and I've always thought people complaining about Yu-Gi-Oh were clowns.

Hey look the ultimate defenses: "I liked it!!" and "Those guys(that I don't agree with) make no sense."
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
kaiser11492 wrote:
Here's a question i have. if making Yu-Gi-Oh! a kids show is the only way to market it, then how come it doesn't need edits elsewhere to market successfully?

Where are you referring to?

Quote:
also, remember, who has more money to actually buy the cards, little kids or older teens? in fact, many of the Yu-Gi-Oh! card collectors and players i know are in their 20's.

For every one nerdy teen who plays Yugioh there are about forty little kids. If you think older fans are actually the driving force behind the Yugioh fandom then you are living in gross denial.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
See, everyone's just fine with saying One Piece or Yu-Gi-Oh are awful dubs, but as soon as it's SPC, it's "Oh no man, my childhood, that's horse crap" Despite there being zero difference.

One Piece was fine to me and I've always thought people complaining about Yu-Gi-Oh were clowns.

I think of SPC like Shin Chan. Honestly though, SPC isn't as radically different as people make it out to be. It's not like there was hardcore bloody gory violence and full out cat sex that got removed. Even in Japan was a kid show aimed at like 6 year olds, just like the US version.

I remember reading that the Japanese director of the original version of SPC himself said that SPC was the better version and he should've just done that from the beginning.

So yeah.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
Hmm. So 4Kids spends all that time moaning and groaning at TV Tokyo, wins at court, and then...sells the franchise off. Why do I feel like someone has their priorities screwed up?

That said...I am actually not put off by Saban taking the property. Okay, yes, I'm seeing a lot of Power Rangers vs Super Sentai hate going on in the comments towards Saban, but someone earlier (I don't know who) pointed out that at least with Power Rangers Saban took the footage and remade it into their own stories, which frankly for a live-action show I think is *better* to do when you have to oh, recast and reshoot every part of an episode that doesn't involve masks and monster costumes. I'll tell you, if I were back to being 8-years-old and watching the original Power Rangers, and it was actually a live-action dub of Super Sentai... I'd have cringed. Dubbing live action has gotten better over the years, but when Power Rangers first hit the airwaves, it was still horrendous. Saban found a way to work with that, and they must be doing *something* right for Power Rangers to *still* be around in some incarnation. That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy a subtitled unedited version of Super Sentai someday, of course.

Back to Yu-Gi-Oh. One of the biggest travesties to the YGO franchise has been the utter lack of subtitled, unedited releases. Instead, we end up with 4Kids' chopped up, mishandled dub, and *years* of people clamoring for a subtitled release that the company has basically ignored. Maybe with this change, fans will finally get what they want. Or maybe not. It's way too soon to tell, but I'll be interested in further developments.

And look on the bright side. Saban can't possibly screw Yu-Gi-Oh up *more* than 4Kids already has!
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Aynslesa wrote:
Back to Yu-Gi-Oh. One of the biggest travesties to the YGO franchise has been the utter lack of subtitled, unedited releases. Instead, we end up with 4Kids' chopped up, mishandled dub, and *years* of people clamoring for a subtitled release that the company has basically ignored. Maybe with this change, fans will finally get what they want. Or maybe not. It's way too soon to tell, but I'll be interested in further developments.

It changed years ago. Maybe your opinion on 4Kids should've too.

Those subtitled streams 4Kids were doing likely will come to an end once Saban buys the franchise. That is the same company that completely ignores the existence of the Sentai series, even though there would be no harm in streaming things like Akibaranger, or older series that would never have a U.S. adaptation. I know there are issues with the talent agencies in a lot of Toku shows, but if there was ever a company who had the money to overcome that, a Saban owned one would be.
TaiChiChasers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
What does this mean for the current 4Kids' dub of Zexal? Will it just end and Saban start dubbing with new VA's?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha........... Saban Ent sold off most its catalog to Disney; now they're re-starting........... Laughing

So 4Kids got $8 million from TV Tokyo and ADK, and now get more by selling to Saban. They're really trying to get as much money now to save their company.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I think some people here are seriously missing the bigger reason as to why Samurai Pizza Cats is so fondly remembered. Sure, you had your fourth-wall breaking and your pop-culture jokes and references. But what really made Samurai Pizza Cats stand out was the performances of the U.S. cast. Hands down, the cast they got on for the show did their homework as to how each character should sound and behave. Bad bird actually sounded bird like with his snide cawwing, the cats themselves had their cut yet snidely tone, Al Dente sounded huffy, and Big Cheese actually had the flamboyantly ambiguous gender tone that fit his character as a cross-dressing villain. To this day, I still hold the acting performance of this dub higher than any other kids televised dubbed anime. While other ADR directors are more interested in taking the easy overacting route out for today's dubs, the directors on SPC really took the time to make the performances work for the characters.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
*bashes head against the wall* YOU HAVE GOT TO BE [BLEEPING] KIDDING ME!
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Correction - You wouldn't know about Super Sentai.

I knew Kikaida long before Power Rangers.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I think of SPC like Shin Chan.

The problem with the Shin-Chan dub was that it took a story about normal family life and it's foibles and turned it into a crass stupid pop-culture laden cesspool of a dub. Most of the dialogue completely misses the point of the scences in question most of the time.

Glad some people taped the episodes when it was on KIKU and saved them.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Ad hominems, nice.

Quote:
I think of SPC like Shin Chan. Honestly though, SPC isn't as radically different as people make it out to be. It's not like there was hardcore bloody gory violence and full out cat sex that got removed. Even in Japan was a kid show aimed at like 6 year olds, just like the US version.

And? Just because it's a kids show in both countries doesn't make it justifiable, nor does it make them exactly the same any more than 4Kids and Japanese One Piece are both kids shows so they're the same.

Chagen46 wrote:
I remember reading that the Japanese director of the original version of SPC himself said that SPC was the better version and he should've just done that from the beginning.

So yeah.

You know, if you're going to make much claims, you could at least provide a source.

Regardless, it's not important if the director (there's more than one, for the record, so is this only one of them or all of them?) thinks that, as it could have been him being nice to the English fans, or he may not know enough English to really get or understand what the dub did, or maybe he thought it was funny clearly Japanese characters spoke English. Too many factors unless he elaborates. Assuming this is actually true, of course.

kaiser11492 wrote:
As shown with Digimon, Saban at least acknowledged death, most Japan names, and the actual plot. I could actually watch and tolerate the Digimon dub, while 4kids' dubbing and editing makes me sick to my stomach.

Did we watch the same dub? I remember Gotsumon and Pumpkinmon got sent to Myotismon's Digi-Dungeon. While in Japan, Vamdemon killed Gotsumon and Pumpmon in cold blood by having his bats devour their bodies.

WaruMonzaemon as well, since I remember that cheesy line "Ow, he shot my paw", rather than Mugendramon tearing him to shreds and killing him.

Quote:
Here's a question i have. if making Yu-Gi-Oh! a kids show is the only way to market it, then how come it doesn't need edits elsewhere to market successfully? also, remember, who has more money to actually buy the cards, little kids or older teens? in fact, many of the Yu-Gi-Oh! card collectors and players i know are in their 20's.

It's worth noting in Japan, the card game is marketed towards teenagers. There's a 13+ printed right on the booster packs.

4Kids decided to try to market it to the Pokemon kiddies rather than the Magic the Gathering Crowd. Which is why the English cards are heavily Americanized and edited. No references to demons, angels. guns, sex, death, or anything that could vaguely be considered offensive to a 5 year old.

Though to be frank, I doubt Yu-Gi-Oh would ever air unedited on TV unless it's Adult Swim. Kids shows in Japan can get away with things like rape, death, blood, and all that stuff, but it's limited to adult shows here.

ikillchicken wrote:
For every one nerdy teen who plays Yugioh there are about forty little kids. If you think older fans are actually the driving force behind the Yugioh fandom then you are living in gross denial.

Just curious, but do you have some kind of statistic or source for this? Because the opposite side can point to all the tournaments world-wide being dominated by adults (I think 17 was the youngest anyone made it to the competing rounds) Simply assuming kids buy more isn't solid evidence.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Just curious, but do you have some kind of statistic or source for this? Because the opposite side can point to all the tournaments world-wide being dominated by adults (I think 17 was the youngest anyone made it to the competing rounds) Simply assuming kids buy more isn't solid evidence.

Look at the Pokemon Championships. 2009:

TaiChiChasers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Can someone please tell if this means that'll the 4Kids' dub of Zexal will be shut down soon or if they'll still have the rights to dub? Or will Saban do the dubbing and make the 4Kids' dub obsolete?
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they'll bring Season Zero and finish GX & 5Ds.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5