• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chihayafuru Manga Released in Bilingual Edition in Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boznia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I didn't even know these bilingual editions existed. I've been interested in the manga after watching the anime, but I doubted we'd ever get an English release due to publishers worrying how a manga based around Karuta would sell overseas. Looks like I'm going to be importing manga for the first time. Smile
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure I understand how these bilingual things even work... Anybody care to explain?

P.S. Never mind, I figured it out >.<

Last edited by Sakurazuka_Reika on Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Here's a picture from Amazon of Chihayafuru:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/4062501503

It looks like they did not translate the poems, but just transliterated them.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I bought the first two but it doesn't look like they are making any more. At least it seems like there is a long time since they released Vol. 2 and no news of the next one.

But I am glad to own something of Chihayafuru I can actually read. It's too bad about the poems though. But this will hold me over until the manga is hopefully licensed here.
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, I thought manga publishers were no longer printing bilingual manga, as people were importing them rather than buying the official English translations. They're such a great idea for learning Japanese/English.

Last edited by Quark on Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Here's a picture from Amazon of Chihayafuru:
It looks like they did not translate the poems, but just transliterated them.

There are full poem translations at the back of each book (50 in each).

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I bought the first two but it doesn't look like they are making any more. At least it seems like there is a long time since they released Vol. 2 and no news of the next one.

Long time? The second book only has a publication date of 23 Feb! I'm amazed that anyone can think of two months as "a long time". Yes, there was only a two-month gap between the release of the two books, and Kodansha's obviously not keeping that rate of release.

I do hope that we hear about more volumes getting a translation (if not a licensed release), but who knows what to expect from Kodansha...
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:

I do hope that we hear about more volumes getting a translation (if not a licensed release), but who knows what to expect from Kodansha...

Well that is what I meant the first two books came out relatively close together and there is absolutely no news at all about the 3rd yet. I am not saying it should have been published by now but yes I would have at least expected a publication date by this time, so yes to me it does seem long & makes me think the first two might be it (maybe these editions didn't sell well enough). But who knows, I hope I am wrong!
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Just became aware of these bilingual editions.
Even if it isn't the animated version, I am glad that there is a physical official English release in some fashion.

I hope the next show we hear about being localised will be among this, Nichijou and School Days.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I kinda wonder why they made the Japanese text so small in comparison.
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I kinda wonder why they made the Japanese text so small in comparison.

The books are primarily meant as a learning aid for Japanese people who want to learn English. Since learning English is the main focus, the English text is going to take up more space.

Edit: After looking at the scan of the page though, the Japanese text is normal font size.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote
Kodansha has a huge domestic and foreign language resource side to their publishing business. Arguably, Kodansha dictionaries are some of the best out there. It is not surprising they would do this as manga can be a fun way to learn a new language, especially now that English is being made a requirement in schools. I don't know how good the translations are, but if the quality is as good as the dictionaries, the manga could be very useful for learning how to use English/Japanese in more common contexts not found in a textbook.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:58 am Reply with quote
I own these books and love them, but I regret to say that I'm not sure we'll be seeing more---the first volume contains translations of the first 50 of the 100 Poets, and the second volume has the other 50, so the "set" seems complete. As for the learning value, I must admit that the Japanese text has a habit of getting lost in the binding, and the pages can be so busy that it's extremely difficult to tell which phrase goes with which. That said, this is the only official way to get the "Chihayafuru" manga in English (for now), and I have absolutely no regrets about picking these volumes up.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote
boznia wrote:
I didn't even know these bilingual editions existed. I've been interested in the manga after watching the anime, but I doubted we'd ever get an English release due to publishers worrying how a manga based around Karuta would sell overseas. Looks like I'm going to be importing manga for the first time. Smile

Same here, mate. Same. Here.

I would absolutely scream with joy if Chihayafuru's manga were licensed and released stateside (not to mention if/when it's anime gets a DVD release). It's such a fantastic, character-driven series. It deserves more love.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the small Japanese bookstore near me has these. Field trip!
Telephoton

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
If anybody's still reading this... Van somebody direct me to a place where i can buy the collection or at least the individual bilingual versions of the chihayafuru manga because i can't find it anywhere! I have to get it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2