• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Hunting - NO Recommendation threads allowed! [READ THE 1st POST]

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I would suggest using the Genre search tool

Check the categories you're interested in and it will sort the results by how many terms match and by rating. Play around with it and you might find a couple results you'd like. No guarantees they're licensed though. Action+Erotica brought forth a result for an OVA called Shadow that looks right up your alley but despite an old news announcement about a release, it doesn't look like it ever happened.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
anime racket

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of Death Note and Code Geass and I was wondering
if there are any other great series which have antiheroes like
them in the lead , those who have to think alot, and are licensed in America?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Could a mod please fix my small typo that survived on the first page? It's missing just one two-letter word, but it would definitely be better if it was there Embarassed
It says:
In short, you may not open threads whose purpose is ask something like "can you recommend me a show like [so and so]?
It should say:
In short, you may not open threads whose purpose is to ask something like "can you recommend me a show like [so and so]?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Matter resolved, Spastic Minnow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zacheryed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Well first off, I read this no reccomendations post after I made one, so please don't delete my brand new account or anything.

Secondly, the "search like blank" tool is interesting, and I'm not sure if I'm just not using it right, but it doesn't seem all that great. When I click on shows similar to one I like, I get over 2000 hits. How can I narrow it down from 2000 choices? That should have a refining tool. My reccomendations would be a) searching shows similar to multiple shows and b) by viewing source. for example i am specifically looking for shows i can watch on my netflix streaming only account. that would narrow it down quite a bit i'd think.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Look at the ones who have the most genre/theme matches. I just did this feature with a random title and got a much, much more limited result if I only looked at the titles which had 4-5 genre/theme matches.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry, you generally have to do much worse than overlook a sticky to get a banhammer.

Right now (someone correct me if I'm wrong), I don't think there's much you can do to narrow it down to only see results by viewing options. I would suggest you use the tools here to find titles that sound interesting based on what you've seen, then go over to the legit anime streaming sites like Netflix, hulu, crunchyroll, or funimation and see if they offer it (generally not everyone is going to have the same show offered, though).

The other thing you can do to get some recommendations is click around the forums to look at members' My Anime lists, where we give titles we've seen ratings and sometimes mini-reviews. There's a list of these links in the first post of this thread, and you can find others, like mine, at the bottom of a forum post by any member who has a list created. Of course, without knowing the member's taste these lists may not be too "reliable" until you get familiar with said member's tastes.

Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
The "find similar anime" is just an automatically produced Genre Search- if you use that directly you can search for the genres and themes you like (and exclude ones you don't) and narrow it down by a range of years and also whether or not it has ever been licensed in the US, which would at least give you titles more likely to be available in Netflix.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in a recommendation based not upon genre, but length.

I'm looking for an OVA that more or less meets the following criteria:

1. Good, although not necessarily anything extraordinary, more in its story and characterization than its technical merits
2. Not ecchi or otherwise overburdened with fanservice
3. 50 - 120 total length
4. Available cheaply in the United States
5. Has a 'tolerable' English language dub (I'm not proud to admit it, but I'm very tolerant, I mean, I watched Bubblegum Crisis dubbed without wanting to take a belt sander to my ears)

I've already seen a lot of the things that fit in that box, as my anime and list suggest, which is why I'm turning to the horde for advice. I'll probably end up just poring over the license lists for a few publishers in hope of finding something good, but I'd rather not, because that's a frustrating, lonely method. Especially when it comes to Media Blasters; my God have they licensed a lot of hentai. The obvious stuff like Do You Know the MILFing Man? isn't much trouble, but who'd thought that F3 was hentai, but Early Reins wasn't?

I'd appreciate any help, but I realize that it could be a thankless enterprise, so I won't mind if nothing comes of my request.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
ggqt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

1. Good, although not necessarily anything extraordinary, more in its story and characterization than its technical merits
2. 50 - 120 minutes long
3. Available cheaply in the United States
4. Has a 'tolerable' English language dub (I'm not proud to admit it, but I'm very tolerant, I mean, I watched Bubblegum Crisis dubbed without wanting to take a belt sander to my ears)

I've already seen a lot of the things that fit in that box, as my anime and list suggest, which is why I'm turning to the horde for advice. I'll probably end up just poring over the license lists for a few publishers in hope of finding something good, but I'd rather not, because that's a frustrating, lonely method. Especially when it comes to Media Blasters; my God have they licensed a lot of hentai. The obvious stuff like Do You Know the MILFing Man? isn't much trouble, but who'd thought that F3 was hentai, but Early Reins wasn't?

I'd appreciate any help, but I realize that it could be a thankless enterprise, so I won't mind if nothing comes of my request.

anime#5002

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0809927/

pretty sure that fits your criteria.
Set1229

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:01 am Reply with quote
I have trouble interpreting all the posts together, so I would like to say that I'm generally versatile with what anime genres I watch, BUT I have a glaring vulnerable spot psychologically speaking that can be but isn't always associated with certain genres and sub-genres. A little help?
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

2. Not ecchi or otherwise overburdened with fanservice
3. 50 - 120 total length
4. Available cheaply in the United States
5. Has a 'tolerable' English language dub (I'm not proud to admit it, but I'm very tolerant, I mean, I watched Bubblegum Crisis dubbed without wanting to take a belt sander to my ears)

Since our tastes don't seem to be too far apart I would recommend ...

Saber Marionette R. I have seen your comments on Saber Marionette J. Saber Marionette R was the original vision. It is darker and more mature and at only 3 episodes has no room for bloat.

Elf Princess Rane. It is very similar in feel to Dragon half so you are likely to feel exactly the same way about both shows.

R.O.D. the OVA. A very actiony OVA with people using ridiculous powers in an over the top fashion.

Vampire Princess Miyu the OVA. It is dark and slow with very limited animation but it is better than the TV series and raises some interesting ideas.

Gate Keepers 21. It is technically a sequel to the Gatekeepers series but it is completely different in tone and feel and it can stand on its own. It is much darker than the original Gatekeepers.

You might also want to try Zone of the Enders: Idolo, 3 x 3 Eyes and Strait Jacket

All of these are cheap and all have decent dubs. The one with the weakest dub is Vampire Princess Miyu. I think you will rate them anywhere from decent to very good.

Last edited by lesterf1020 on Wed May 30, 2012 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:20 am Reply with quote
Set1229 wrote:
I have trouble interpreting all the posts together, so I would like to say that I'm generally versatile with what anime genres I watch, BUT I have a glaring vulnerable spot psychologically speaking that can be but isn't always associated with certain genres and sub-genres. A little help?

So what you're actually asking for help with is. . .?
Set1229

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Set1229 wrote:

So what you're actually asking for help with is. . .?

I have trouble paraphrasing the rules into a less complex way to understand how to ask for recommendations. As I said before, I am pretty versatile with genres, but some themes and story events that are common within these genres that are not mentioned cause an incompatibility issue. For example, I would only watch post-apocalytic anime if the world is saved rather than few to no people surviving, as those kinds where little or none remains at the end trigger a real world feeling of worthlessness.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
@Set1229
If you have such strict parameters, just state your genre and guidelines and I'll try to make a recommendation.

If I stick with your example, I would recommend:
X(TV) - about 26 episodes, good characters, a bit formulaic, good ending. Nicely animated. Steer clear of the movie.
Mirai Nikki - well paced, well told story, gripping, great characters and plot.

Those are kindof apocalyptic as I do not watch many post-apocalyptic shows that are happy in nature. Casshern Sins comes to mind. Pretty darn depressing early on. Haven't seen the end because I get down every time I watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 17