• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are the best anime soundtracks?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:22 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Agreed. Find an anime movie or series where you like the background music and just go with that. Listening to OSTs (that's Original Sound Tracks, if you're not familiar with the term) for stuff you have not seen before isn't quite as fun, as you don't get to visualize when in the series those songs come up.

This.

I forgot what game or anime mentioned it, but one of the great things about music is that it takes you somewhere else (mentally or psychologically). I believe that this phenomenon with soundtracks can be likened to nostalgia. Without familiarity with the source, the nostalgia is gone and you are left to rely on either the lyrics or the composition to key in some sort of emotional reaction. At that point, why limit yourself to soundtracks?
schnitzel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
[EDT: Reasons, please. -TK]
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
Erin the Beast Player... minimal, folkish music with some great, great, great recordings. The mix is amazing and they even captured touches like the pianist pressing the various pedals which really gives it a kinda personal feel that matches the series.

Bleach - Fade to Black and Hell Chapter - There's a pretty wide range of content (specifically FtB) and all of it pulled off well. Hell Chapter is like epic war music and it feels like Sagisu just discovered brass and went crazy insane with it in all the right ways.
Horde99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Put reasons. -TK]
rina-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:16 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Reasons. -TK]
johnwish210

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
gridsleep

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote

[Sorry about this being here. The posting mechanism is acting a little loopy in my browser, and it is not posting properly. If I find a way to delete this "empty" post, I will make it disappear.]

[Actually, it looks like the posting mechanism is acting loopy for quite a lot of people. The moderator may have to take a look at the server feed and processing.]

Last edited by gridsleep on Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
gridsleep

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Haibane Renme, of course, yes, I should have put that in my list as well. As for movies, I love the mushy My Neighbor Totoro as well as the splintering Akira.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Can I suggest composers instead?
Yuki Kajiura- She's my all time favorite artist because she doesn't only do soundtracks. She also directs a few musical groups, like Kalafina and FictionJunction who sing a lot of openings and ending. She composed the Puella Magi Madoka Magica OST which sounds very Celtic.
Taku Iwasaki- All of his works that I've heard have really different feels. The Soul Eater OST has a very off-beat, quirky and madness-y feel that goes with the show. The Black Butler OST has a very Gothic feel with lots of Gregorian chant, creepy lyrics, and classical or cultural sounding pieces. The little I've been able to hear of Jormungand's OST is a blend of different cultures, so the soundtrack should be full of variety.

I also love the Baccano! OST. It's full of jazz pieces that are really memorable. And it's theme is the perfect song for a trolling video. =P
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
I also love the Baccano! OST. It's full of jazz pieces that are really memorable. And it's theme is the perfect song for a trolling video. =P

Guns 'n Roses makes an excellent ringtone, too! I've used it for a few years now.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:23 am Reply with quote
I guess it wasn't mentioned before as the user posting about Ghost In The Shell said something about Russian vocals. This is true for the series but the first movie takes a more traditional Asian angle with very meditative and atmospheric pieces.
Also, the soundtrack for Gundam Wing is amazing. It may not be a purely classical instrumentation but it certainly is arranged in a symphonic way. Very bombastic and gripping stuff!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
My own list of favorite anime soundtracks that haven't been mentioned yet.

Aria, all of them. Sure, it could be seen as just a series of Chrono Club albums but there's a feel to them that just works beautifully. The insert songs and vocal pieces are good as well.

The Melancholoy of Haruhi Suzumiya. That is, the six part series that form one one story. It's an esorteric mix of upbeat marches, hard edge techo pieces, rock and light jazz. While Aria feels like one artist, one work, Haruhi OST is as varied as the titular character herself. Themes are repeated and changed as the plot thickens and, as the plot thickens, so does the music. The rest of it is good just not as complete.

Gurren Lagann. Jazz, rock, rap and opera. In a word, rousing. And that's the point. Unfortunately, it's hard to recommend a collection as the best tracks aren't collected for some reason. Or at least the ones I love the most.

Kanon 2006. The attraction to Kanon is in the variation of theme; it only seems like the same music gets repeated over and over. Unfortunately, this is not something that can be captured in one CD collection so there's one main CD and then some further releases of rewrites and remixes, all of which are sprinkled throught the series.

Air TV. One word, Aozora. The overall OST is simpler than Kanon {It's shorter and as such, more direct but it's also more repetative. Go figure} and the most notoable pieces are just simpler versions of Aozora but that one song is worth it.

The Melody of Oblivion. Yeah, a series that uses music motifs has an interesting soundtrack to go along with it, no surprise there but it's how they're used that makes it work. The marches all have a sense of dread, the upbeat pieces, well, they're not really not here. Even the insert songs makes it sound like everyone's going to die. It's refreshingly depressing. And I imagine I'm the only fan of it.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
SereneChaos wrote:

Guns 'n Roses makes an excellent ringtone, too! I've used it for a few years now.

Just to clarify, I was referring to this song, not the opening theme. But the opening is awesome too. I constantly get it stuck in my head and it makes me feel like dancing. Very Happy
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Thorn of Camorr wrote:
The term "best" is very subjective, and it is all a matter of personal taste.
I strongly agree!
Thorn of Camorr wrote:
I may come under some heat for saying this, as Yoko Kanno has recently come under fire for possible plagiarism, but I still like her music, particularly her work in Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell, the former which has wonderful jazz and blues pieces while the latter gives you some good techno mixes and some excellent Russian vocals.
Couldn't put it any better myself!
Chang Wufei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Shuki Levy's Dragon Ball Z score is [expletive] fantastic. It fits the dark mood of Dragon Ball so perfectly and it has variety as well. Ko Itani's Gundam Wing score is also excellent and it relative to the time of 1995-1997, instead being some outdated stuff a la Dragon Ball Z original score. G Gundam's music is excellent and combines a modern wuxia style element(for the time).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4