• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: MyNavi Poll: When Fans Are Let Down by Foreign Live-Action Adaptations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
So.. I guess Sailor Moon and Sailor Venus are Americans? Sorry, but blonde hair/blue eyes does not alway mean American or Westerner.

All squares are rectangles. However, not all rectangles are squares.

Just because it's blonde hair doesn't mean they're supposed to be white, but blonde hair is a very common attribute in anime of white people. You can't really make a blanket statement like that.

Quote:
My comment was intended to be more humorous than anything else. It does seem a bit inconsistent though to complain about the use of non-Japanese actors in live-action adaptations of material where the drawn characters often don't look Japanese to begin with.

Quote:
Why don't we see the same kind of outrage expressed over character models in anime generally? I don't see people picketing outside studios demanding that anime characters be drawn to look more japanese.

Why are they not Japanese looking? Because of blonde hair? Some people sound like they've never seen any light-haired Asian before.

Is Don not Japanese because he doesn't have squint eyes or dark hair? What exactly is "drawn like a Japanese"? It sounds like some people have a very narrow definition of what Japanese people should look like.

I'll leave this one to Bossun: http://i.imgur.com/jXqSs.jpg
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
If Asians have light hair, they are usually racially mixed. Or they dye it. (Which appeared to be the case in all those pics.) So blondes in anime are usually one of the following:
- white
- a Japanese who happens to be drawn white
-has dyed hair
- is an alien

* edit to add -or racially mixed
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:34 am Reply with quote
No.5 on the list definitely sums up DBO. It was just too generic.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
The survey from Japanese fans is very interesting and I will agree with them from recent live-action film Hollywood had.

However, let's not forget that Japan had shoddy live-action adaptation also. I wasn't impressed with live-action Negima and Battle Royale 2 Japan did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:54 am Reply with quote
People seem to have a narrow definition of what Westerners could look. A Westerner could look Japanese and still be a Westerner. That argument goes both ways. Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Super Ninja wrote:
mgosdin wrote:
No surprises there.

I don't think the non-Japanese actors can be helped

Yes, because there's no Asian actors living in the United States. Also there are no black people or hispanics. This is the vanilla country, and Mitt Romney will win the election by a landslide.
Sounds like the last days of Rome.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Hm...So a large chunk don't like those Korean adaptations, I guess?

I was wondering that too. Does this survey focus on US live-action or other Asia's take on anime/manga to live-action adaptation?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NotintheMood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Super Ninja wrote:
mgosdin wrote:
No surprises there.

I don't think the non-Japanese actors can be helped

Yes, because there's no Asian actors living in the United States. Also there are no black people or hispanics. This is the vanilla country, and Mitt Romney will win the election by a landslide.

Hollywood executives who still cling to this bullshit should be shot.

This isn't the Fifties anymore. Whitewashing must end. Goku, on the other hand, has the excuse of being an alien from another planet.

Castings calls can be very specific. Here's an example from true blood:

A photo double who must have LONG Blonde hair, be 5’8, waist 26, bra size 34C, and shoe size 9. You must be these sizes exactly as you will be wearing the actresses clothing. Should be comfortable playing a corpse, with blood in your hair.

If someone wanted to cast actors of a Japanese descent they just have to look for them. Like this casting call for the wolverine movie:

MALE (mid-late 60s; Japanese) – ACTOR. Slight build with discernible looks. Lead role;
FEMALE (early-late 20s; Japanese) – ACTRESS. Quintessential beauty, very graceful and majestic. Lead role;
MALE (early-mid 50s; Japanese) – ACTOR. Exceptionally brilliant, timelessly powerful and in-shape. Lead role;
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
NotintheMood wrote:

A photo double who must have LONG Blonde hair, be 5’8, waist 26, bra size 34C, and shoe size 9. You must be these sizes exactly as you will be wearing the actresses clothing. Should be comfortable playing a corpse, with blood in your hair.

That's a body double for a lead actress; that's why it has to be very specific to match the lead actress' measurements. In contrast, Hugh Jackman's height (6'-3") still got him cast as Wolverine (5'-3"), so that wasn't very specifically followed.
NotintheMood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
NotintheMood wrote:

That's a body double for a lead actress; that's why it has to be very specific to match the lead actress' measurements. In contrast, Hugh Jackman's height (6'-3") still got him cast as Wolverine (5'-3"), so that wasn't very specifically followed.

Um . .Yes? I wasn't questioning the reasoning for the for photo double. . . Smile

I included all of those example of either a very specific casting call or of a casting call looking for people of Japanese decent.

The point is that they could look for actors that more closely match the appearance of character quite easily.

But as Clyde_Cash pointed out often they don't even bother to do that . I can't remember the details but wasn't there a hubbub when the casting calls went out for the Air bender movie?
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Weren't lederhosen mentioned in those?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3