• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Animation TV Ranking, April 9-15

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I'll be honest, while I theoretically appreciate Thhyon's post and all of that information, it's mostly incomprehensible for me because I have barely any idea what those numbers mean or perspective to judge a show's performance.

To get to the egoistic point: Are Kids on the Slope (and Tsuritama, I guess) and Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine~ doing as badly as I expected them to because I'm not allowed to have nice things or what? I am ignorant! Show me to the light!

Ratings are largely meaningless for Otaku anime, though the noitaminA block relies on them a bit more.

Anime essentially does not get "cancelled", so for anything that isn't in that top block, it doesn't matter at all what the rating is. What will matter is disc sales and other assorted indicators (such as increases in novel or manga sales concomitant with the anime beginning to air)

dragon695 wrote:

They already have all 12 volumes on Amazon, so its not like they can just cancel it now.

Only if you have no idea how TV Anime deals work.

The only time I know of anything remotely like this happening was with uhh...oh what was the name, that Kawamori show...ah whatever. But that show had all sorts of trainwreck type issues.

Sengoku Collection is just, well, going to be a loss. They happen.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Only if you have no idea how TV Anime deals work.

The only time I know of anything remotely like this happening was with uhh...oh what was the name, that Kawamori show...ah whatever. But that show had all sorts of trainwreck type issues.

Sengoku Collection is just, well, going to be a loss. They happen.

Actually, I do. The situation is a little different here since it was initially only a 1 cour series. I can see them cancelling a last-minute decision to make it a 2 cour series if the discs and other merchandise sell as badly as the preorders and ratings seem to indicate. It's not just failing, it is failing worse than any other otaku-bait series has if what those guys on the other forum are saying is to be believed. Again, it may be too early to tell, but it is certainly shaping up to be a real stinker.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

Actually, I do. The situation is a little different here since it was initially only a 1 cour series. I can see them cancelling a last-minute decision to make it a 2 cour series if the discs and other merchandise sell as badly as the preorders and ratings seem to indicate. It's not just failing, it is failing worse than any other otaku-bait series has if what those guys on the other forum are saying is to be believed. Again, it may be too early to tell, but it is certainly shaping up to be a real stinker.

It would be essentially unprecedented. Granted, I have no idea of the details of the contracts involved, but cancelling the show would almost certainly invoke some sort of penalty clauses.

I hope it doesn't happen, becaue I actually am enjoying the show, for what it is, but if it does, it would be the first time it has happened in the modern anime era.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
[

When was it announced that it was going to be a one cour series?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Its not doing any worse than Kill Me Baby was doing early on, and the official site doesn't even say anything about the DVD/BDs being on sale, so you'd have to go out of your way to go find them on Amazon, while most websites promote the DVD/BDs on the website. Kill Me Baby did the same thing, and once the website finally promoted the DVD/BDs, it got like a x3 spike in preorders.

HitokiriShadow wrote:

It never was, people just assumed it would be 1 cour originally.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

HitokiriShadow wrote:

It never was, people just assumed it would be 1 cour originally.

That's what I figured and was trying to get at. Length is often not known until the discs are solicited, but ANN defaults to "12 episodes" and people think that's official.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

It would be essentially unprecedented. Granted, I have no idea of the details of the contracts involved, but cancelling the show would almost certainly invoke some sort of penalty clauses.

I hope it doesn't happen, becaue I actually am enjoying the show, for what it is, but if it does, it would be the first time it has happened in the modern anime era.

Or they could simply choose to run another show they have in the pipeline during the second cour.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

Or they could simply choose to run another show they have in the pipeline during the second cour.

...no, I don't think that would work. In fact, I'm pretty much positive it wouldn't.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

...no, I don't think that would work. In fact, I'm pretty much positive it wouldn't.

Not to mention Brainbase doesn't even have another show in production thats announced.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

Well it's all speculation anyways, isn't it? It'll be interesting how much of a loss the production committee is willing to suffer.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

Well it's all speculation anyways, isn't it? It'll be interesting how much of a loss the production committee is willing to suffer.

Yes, but some speculation is way, way more likely than others.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Given the amount of cute girls in the show, it could easily be they're counting on merch sales.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Given the amount of cute girls in the show, it could easily be they're counting on merch sales.

Its also based on a cell phone game, so they might just be banking on it helping the sales of that more than the actual DVD/BDs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2