• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Say Hello to Black Jack' Manga Creator Pulls Kodansha Contract

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
well beep that is another person kodansha managed to PO
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
yet another reason why kodansha publishing is a bigger threat then illegal up-loaders/down-loaders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nhat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
yet another reason why kodansha publishing is a bigger threat then illegal up-loaders/down-loaders.

How are they a bigger threat? Just break the contract and go to another publisher.

Ok it's not that easy but he does have the options to do what he wants.
burnpsy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
How many mangaka is that now backing out of Kodansha?
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:50 am Reply with quote
burnpsy wrote:

We don't know exactly because Sato seems to be the only one who speaks out about living cost. If other artists want to say something about their situation, then they would say something.

I see them as victims of downward economy and the market stagnation. More manga artists are coming out, but number of readers has not grown in Japan. When there are more artists than market can support, then their pie slice get smaller as well.
burnpsy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:03 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
burnpsy wrote:

We don't know exactly because Sato seems to be the only one who speaks out about living cost. If other artists want to say something about their situation, then they would say something.

I see them as victims of downward economy and the market stagnation. More manga artists are coming out, but number of readers has not grown in Japan. When there are more artists than market can support, then their pie slice get smaller as well.

But there are others leaving Kodansha for different reasons. For instance, Ken Akamatsu complaining about some sort of copyright dispute on Twitter and Tumblr just after he ended Negima and took all of his original manuscripts for every manga he's ever released with him.
Harafan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
burnpsy wrote:
reanimator wrote:
burnpsy wrote:

But there are others leaving Kodansha for different reasons. For instance, Ken Akamatsu complaining about some sort of copyright dispute on Twitter and Tumblr just after he ended Negima and took all of his original manuscripts for every manga he's ever released with him.

And then there's Gunm's (Battle Angel Alita's) mangaka Kishiro who defected and went TO Kodansha.

You're not going to find any unanimity -- even among the outspoken mangaka -- on what company is good and what company is evil.
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh Sato Shuho, you're kind of a badass.
I'm kind of sad though; Say Hello to Black Jack is awesome, and I'd love to own it or see it licensed...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1